GPO w/ 2000 server and XP SP2 workstations

"" wrote:
> I have read all the documentation I can find on managing GPO
> for XP from 2K.
> When I try to edit the polocy from 2K I cannot see the XP
> teplate items. I
> have tried to import the .adm files as in
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mngwinxp.mspx
>
> Tim

Hi.

Here is how you do it.

1> Install Service Pack 2 on Windows XP (good idea anyway and has most
recent ADM’s)

2> Go to C:Windowsinf on the Windows XP machine.

3> Copy ALL the ADM files from the XP Machine to C:winntinf on ALL
your DC’s and any machines running adminpak.msi

4> You can overwrite the existing ADM’s as the SP2 ones are
cumulative and include all the other settings as well.

5> Open Group Policy on your DC and it should have all the settings.

I have no idea why there are instructions to do this any other way
than manually. I found that Manually is the main way to do it.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-2000-server-XP-SP2-workstations-ftopict420394.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1405450

Hi Tim,

Do not use 2K to manage your XP. Instead, install Admin Tools on your XP and
use XP to manage your domain GPO.

Also, if SP2 applies to you, you can also take a look at this.

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngdepgp.mspx

br,
Denis

"TimD" <TimD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have read all the documentation I can find on managing GPO for XP from
2K.
> When I try to edit the polocy from 2K I cannot see the XP teplate items. I
> have tried to import the .adm files as in

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mngwinxp.mspx

> Tim

>Do not use 2K to manage your XP. Instead, install Admin Tools on your
>XP and
>use XP to manage your domain GPO.

Tim, I am a little confused as to why you said this? I always used my
Windows 2000 Server to manage my Group Policies for my Windows XP
workstations. In fact I did it for years before Windows 2003 came out?

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-2000-server-XP-SP2-workstations-ftopict420394.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1405544

In your point 5 you effectively upload your latest ADM from your local 2K
(DC) server to your domain sysvol when you manage your domain policy using
your 2K (DC) server.

You just achieve the same goal with different way.

br,
Denis