Pop-Up Blocker Policy

Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)

Thanks
Smurfman
6 answers Last reply
More about blocker policy

    Hi Smurfman,

    User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
    for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows
    Server 2003 Service Pack 1

    Turn off pop-up management
    "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management functionality in
    Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
    information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed out)
    and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes will
    not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in Windows
    XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
    continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not configure
    this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."

    Pop-up allow list
    "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will be
    allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer process's
    Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a
    list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
    user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
    Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
    http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
    valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
    may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not configured,
    users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."

    br,
    Denis

    "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
    > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
    > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
    >
    > Thanks
    > Smurfman

    I made these changes...but it seems that the users are not getting the
    settings. For example I have a global policy I am using...this is the result
    in GPO Edit, they show up in the "Extra Registry Settings" section of the
    results.

    Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New
    Windows\Allow\*.microsoft.com

    Yet on my workstation the settings for PopUp Sites is blank...

    Any Ideas?

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

    > Hi Smurfman,
    >
    > User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
    > for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows
    > Server 2003 Service Pack 1
    >
    > Turn off pop-up management
    > "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management functionality in
    > Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
    > information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed out)
    > and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes will
    > not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in Windows
    > XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
    > continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not configure
    > this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."
    >
    > Pop-up allow list
    > "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will be
    > allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer process's
    > Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a
    > list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
    > user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
    > Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
    > http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
    > valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
    > may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not configured,
    > users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
    > > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
    > > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Smurfman

    Here is the other setting...

    Turn off pop-up management
    Disabled
    Default Domain Firewall Policy

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

    > Hi Smurfman,
    >
    > User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
    > for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows
    > Server 2003 Service Pack 1
    >
    > Turn off pop-up management
    > "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management functionality in
    > Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
    > information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed out)
    > and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes will
    > not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in Windows
    > XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
    > continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not configure
    > this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."
    >
    > Pop-up allow list
    > "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will be
    > allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer process's
    > Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a
    > list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
    > user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
    > Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
    > http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
    > valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
    > may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not configured,
    > users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
    > > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
    > > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Smurfman

    Hi,

    Please note the explanation is:

    "If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a list of sites which
    will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of user settings. Users
    will not be able to view or edit this list of sites."

    "Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites." means you
    cannot see and edit the list which is specified by GPO from the client, but
    they are existing indeed. Please do more tests.

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
    >Subject: Re: Pop-Up Blocker Policy
    >Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:11:25 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    >
    >Here is the other setting...
    >
    >Turn off pop-up management
    >Disabled
    >Default Domain Firewall Policy
    >

    >"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Smurfman,
    >>
    >> User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
    Explorer\
    >> for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or
    Windows
    >> Server 2003 Service Pack 1
    >>
    >> Turn off pop-up management
    >> "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management
    functionality in
    >> Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
    >> information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed
    out)
    >> and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes
    will
    >> not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in
    Windows
    >> XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
    >> continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not
    configure
    >> this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."
    >>
    >> Pop-up allow list
    >> "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will
    be
    >> allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer
    process's
    >> Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can
    enter a
    >> list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
    >> user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
    >> Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
    >> http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
    >> valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
    >> may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not
    configured,
    >> users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."
    >>
    >> br,
    >> Denis
    >>
    >> "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
    >> > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing
    so
    >> > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to
    add
    >> > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Smurfman

    Thanks Tom, missed the whole can't view thing...I guess I was just thinking
    that the settings I would make would appear like the program exceptions do
    when entering windows firewall programs, where they are "greyed" out and the
    user can't change them.

    THe GPO Results, do in fact show the registry keys being created as Extra
    Registry Settings, so this should be good to go.

    Thanks for the extra emphasis on the point I missed.

    "Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will
    > be
    > >> allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer
    > process's
    > >> Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can
    > enter a
    > >> list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
    > >> user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
    > >> Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
    > >> http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
    > >> valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
    > >> may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not
    > configured,
    > >> users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Hi J,

    You are always welcome! Sorry for my delayed response due to the weekend.

    I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that you got
    useful information from here. If you have any other questions or concerns
    in future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure
    to be of assistance.

    Have a nice week!

Policy Microsoft Windows