Pop-Up Blocker Policy

Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)

Thanks
Smurfman

Hi Smurfman,

User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows
Server 2003 Service Pack 1

Turn off pop-up management
"This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management functionality in
Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed out)
and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes will
not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in Windows
XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not configure
this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."

Pop-up allow list
"This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will be
allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer process's
Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a
list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not configured,
users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."

br,
Denis

"Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
> Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
> with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
> their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
>
> Thanks
> Smurfman

I made these changes...but it seems that the users are not getting the
settings. For example I have a global policy I am using...this is the result
in GPO Edit, they show up in the "Extra Registry Settings" section of the
results.

Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\New
Windows\Allow\*.microsoft.com

Yet on my workstation the settings for PopUp Sites is blank...

Any Ideas?

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

> Hi Smurfman,
>
> User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
> for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows
> Server 2003 Service Pack 1
>
> Turn off pop-up management
> "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management functionality in
> Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
> information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed out)
> and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes will
> not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in Windows
> XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
> continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not configure
> this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."
>
> Pop-up allow list
> "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will be
> allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer process's
> Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a
> list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
> user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
> Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
> http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
> valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
> may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not configured,
> users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
> > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
> > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Smurfman

Here is the other setting...

Turn off pop-up management
Disabled
Default Domain Firewall Policy

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

> Hi Smurfman,
>
> User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\
> for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows
> Server 2003 Service Pack 1
>
> Turn off pop-up management
> "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management functionality in
> Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
> information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed out)
> and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes will
> not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in Windows
> XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
> continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not configure
> this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."
>
> Pop-up allow list
> "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will be
> allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer process's
> Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a
> list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
> user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
> Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
> http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
> valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
> may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not configured,
> users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
> > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing so
> > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to add
> > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Smurfman

Hi,

Please note the explanation is:

"If you enable this policy setting, you can enter a list of sites which
will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of user settings. Users
will not be able to view or edit this list of sites."

"Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites." means you
cannot see and edit the list which is specified by GPO from the client, but
they are existing indeed. Please do more tests.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
>Subject: Re: Pop-Up Blocker Policy
>Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:11:25 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
>
>Here is the other setting...
>
>Turn off pop-up management
>Disabled
>Default Domain Firewall Policy
>

>"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
>
>> Hi Smurfman,
>>
>> User Config\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet
Explorer\
>> for at least Internet Explorer v6.0 in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or
Windows
>> Server 2003 Service Pack 1
>>
>> Turn off pop-up management
>> "This policy setting allows you to manage pop-up management
functionality in
>> Internet Explorer. If you enable this policy setting, the Control Panel
>> information relating to pop-up management will be unavailable (grayed
out)
>> and all other pop-up manager controls, notifications, and dialog boxes
will
>> not appear. Pop-up windows will continue to function as they did in
Windows
>> XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, although windows launched off screen will
>> continue to be re-positioned onscreen. If you disable or do not
configure
>> this policy setting, the popup management feature will be functional."
>>
>> Pop-up allow list
>> "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will
be
>> allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer
process's
>> Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can
enter a
>> list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
>> user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
>> Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
>> http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
>> valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
>> may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not
configured,
>> users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."
>>
>> br,
>> Denis
>>
>> "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
>> > Where can enforce certain sites to be allowed pop-up access, and doing
so
>> > with a GPO? (And if I do so, will this disable the user's ability to
add
>> > their own sites? Or erase existing sites already added.)
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Smurfman

Thanks Tom, missed the whole can't view thing...I guess I was just thinking
that the settings I would make would appear like the program exceptions do
when entering windows firewall programs, where they are "greyed" out and the
user can't change them.

THe GPO Results, do in fact show the registry keys being created as Extra
Registry Settings, so this should be good to go.

Thanks for the extra emphasis on the point I missed.

"Tom Che [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> "This policy setting allows you to manage a list of web sites that will
> be
> >> allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of the Internet Explorer
> process's
> >> Pop-Up Blocker settings. If you enable this policy setting, you can
> enter a
> >> list of sites which will be allowed to open pop-up windows regardless of
> >> user settings. Users will not be able to view or edit this list of sites.
> >> Only the domain name is allowed, so www.contoso.com is valid, but not
> >> http://www.contoso.com. Wildcards are allowed, so *.contoso.com is also
> >> valid. If you disable this policy setting, the list is deleted and users
> >> may not create their own lists of sites. If this policy is not
> configured,
> >> users will be able to view and edit their own lists of sites."

Hi J,

You are always welcome! Sorry for my delayed response due to the weekend.

I appreciate your update and response, and I am glad to hear that you got
useful information from here. If you have any other questions or concerns
in future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure
to be of assistance.

Have a nice week!