Screen Saver Set-up via System Policy

Hi Don,

You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under

User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\

For more info, see

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp

br,
Denis

"Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
>
> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
> Windows NT.
>

> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to
set
> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Denis,

I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I guess
on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
Article (195655).

Basically, the goal is to:

1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a locked
lab)
3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
value)

From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web or
printed resources will be greatly appreciated!

I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what happens!

Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!

Don

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi Don,
>
> You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
>
> User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
>
> For more info, see
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
>>
>> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
>> Windows NT.
>>

>> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to
> set
>> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Don

Hi Don,

You may not achieve all your goal by the policy, but yes, I agree that the
best is you experiment it yourself.

I can point you one more ref below, and see if it helps. But make sure you
know you are using domain or local policy.

HOW TO: How to Disable Screen Saver Passwords By Using Policies
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272304

> Denis,
>
> I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I
guess
> on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
> Article (195655).
>
> Basically, the goal is to:
>
> 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
> 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a
locked
> lab)
> 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
> value)
>
> From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
> profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
> having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web
or
> printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
>
> I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what
happens!

> Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
>
> Don
>

> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
> message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
> >
> > User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
> >
> > For more info, see

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp

> > br,
> > Denis
> >
> > "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> >> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
> >>
> >> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
> >> Windows NT.
> >>

> >> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how
> > set
> >> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Don

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Denis,

Thanks for all your comments!

message news:esENxRNuFHA.2392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Don,
>
> You may not achieve all your goal by the policy, but yes, I agree that the
> best is you experiment it yourself.
>
> I can point you one more ref below, and see if it helps. But make sure you
> know you are using domain or local policy.
>

> HOW TO: How to Disable Screen Saver Passwords By Using Policies
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272304
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Denis,
>>
>> I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I
> guess
>> on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
>> Article (195655).
>>
>> Basically, the goal is to:
>>
>> 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they
>> wish)
>> 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a
> locked
>> lab)
>> 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
>> value)
>>
>> From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
>> profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
>> having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web
> or
>> printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what
> happens!
>>
>> Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
>>
>> Don
>>

>> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
>> message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi Don,
>> >
>> > You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
>> >
>> > User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
>> >
>> > For more info, see
>> >

> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
>> >
>> > br,
>> > Denis
>> >
>> > "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message

>> > set

See tip 9315 » How can I use a logon script to force users to configure any screen saver they wish?
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com. Modify the script.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:21:35 -0400, "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Denis,
>
>I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I guess
>on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
>Article (195655).
>
>Basically, the goal is to:
>
> 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
> 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a locked
>lab)
> 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
>value)
>
>From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
>profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
>having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web or
>printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
>
>I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what happens!
>
>Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
>
>Don
>

>"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
>message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
>>
>> User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
>>
>> For more info, see
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
>>
>> br,
>> Denis
>>
>> "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
>>>
>>> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
>>> Windows NT.
>>>

>>> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to
>> set
>>> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Don

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP