Screen Saver Set-up via System Policy

Will the process described in the following MSDN article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655

work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
Windows NT.

If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to set
up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?

Thanks!

Don
6 answers Last reply
More about screen saver system policy

    Hi Don,

    You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under

    User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\

    For more info, see

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp

    br,
    Denis

    "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
    >
    > work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
    > Windows NT.
    >

    > If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to
    set
    > up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Don

    Denis,

    I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I guess
    on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
    Article (195655).

    Basically, the goal is to:

    1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
    2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a locked
    lab)
    3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
    value)

    From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
    profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
    having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web or
    printed resources will be greatly appreciated!

    I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what happens!

    Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!

    Don

    "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
    >
    > User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    >
    > For more info, see
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    >> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
    >>
    >> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
    >> Windows NT.
    >>

    >> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to
    > set
    >> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Don

    Hi Don,

    You may not achieve all your goal by the policy, but yes, I agree that the
    best is you experiment it yourself.

    I can point you one more ref below, and see if it helps. But make sure you
    know you are using domain or local policy.

    HOW TO: How to Disable Screen Saver Passwords By Using Policies
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272304

    > Denis,
    >
    > I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I
    guess
    > on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
    > Article (195655).
    >
    > Basically, the goal is to:
    >
    > 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
    > 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a
    locked
    > lab)
    > 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
    > value)
    >
    > From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
    > profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
    > having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web
    or
    > printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what
    happens!

    > Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
    >
    > Don
    >

    > "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    > message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > > Hi Don,
    > >
    > > You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
    > >
    > > User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    > >
    > > For more info, see

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp

    > > br,
    > > Denis
    > >
    > > "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > >> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
    > >>
    > >> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
    > >> Windows NT.
    > >>

    > >> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how
    > > set
    > >> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Don

    Denis,

    Thanks for all your comments!

    message news:esENxRNuFHA.2392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi Don,
    >
    > You may not achieve all your goal by the policy, but yes, I agree that the
    > best is you experiment it yourself.
    >
    > I can point you one more ref below, and see if it helps. But make sure you
    > know you are using domain or local policy.
    >

    > HOW TO: How to Disable Screen Saver Passwords By Using Policies
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272304
    >
    > br,
    > Denis
    >
    > "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Denis,
    >>
    >> I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I
    > guess
    >> on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
    >> Article (195655).
    >>
    >> Basically, the goal is to:
    >>
    >> 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they
    >> wish)
    >> 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a
    > locked
    >> lab)
    >> 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
    >> value)
    >>
    >> From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
    >> profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
    >> having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web
    > or
    >> printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what
    > happens!
    >>
    >> Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
    >>
    >> Don
    >>

    >> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    >> message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> > Hi Don,
    >> >
    >> > You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
    >> >
    >> > User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    >> >
    >> > For more info, see
    >> >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
    >> >
    >> > br,
    >> > Denis
    >> >
    >> > "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message

    >> > set

    See tip 9315 » How can I use a logon script to force users to configure any screen saver they wish?
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com. Modify the script.

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:21:35 -0400, "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >Denis,
    >
    >I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I guess
    >on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
    >Article (195655).
    >
    >Basically, the goal is to:
    >
    > 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
    > 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a locked
    >lab)
    > 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
    >value)
    >
    >From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
    >profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
    >having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web or
    >printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what happens!
    >
    >Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
    >
    >Don
    >

    >"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    >message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >> Hi Don,
    >>
    >> You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
    >>
    >> User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    >>
    >> For more info, see
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
    >>
    >> br,
    >> Denis
    >>
    >> "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    >>> Will the process described in the following MSDN article:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;195655
    >>>
    >>> work under Windows 2000? In the "Applies To" section, it only mentions
    >>> Windows NT.
    >>>

    >>> If the process will not work, is there a reference that describes how to
    >> set
    >>> up the screen saver via policy settings under Windows 2000?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Don

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
    http://www.jsifaq.com
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Thanks Jerold!

    Don

    "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message

    > See tip 9315 » How can I use a logon script to force users to configure
    > any screen saver they wish?
    > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com. Modify the script.
    >

    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:21:35 -0400, "Don" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Denis,
    >>
    >>I had actually looked at the approach you suggest as described in
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301567. And I
    >>guess
    >>on first reading it did not seem to cover all the things in the other KB
    >>Article (195655).
    >>
    >>Basically, the goal is to:
    >>
    >> 1) default screen saver (but allow users to personalize if they wish)
    >> 2) not enforce password protection (this is a small network in a
    >> locked
    >>lab)
    >> 3) set a timeout period (locked is fine, but at the least a default
    >>value)
    >>
    >>From what I have read, some of these things can be set up in the user's
    >>profile. However, I am at the point of knowing the big concepts, but not
    >>having the experience to know how to implement them. Any pointers to web
    >>or
    >>printed resources will be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>I am going to re-read KB 301567 and experiment a little to see what
    >>happens!
    >>
    >>Thanks for keeping me in the right direction!!
    >>
    >>Don
    >>

    >>"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
    >>message news:uzFKewAuFHA.1552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hi Don,
    >>>
    >>> You should use group policy instead in Windows 2000 under
    >>>
    >>> User Config\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display\
    >>>
    >>> For more info, see
    >>>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdb_cdk_ugxd.asp
    >>>
    >>> br,
    >>> Denis