Bad Flash on A8N-SLI... Any Reputable Bios sources?

Jofuss

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
About a year ago, I had a system that was having some odd issues with a that I was pretty sure were bios related. I downloaded the Asus windows bios flashing utility and installed the Rom that it said was correct... It did say it was for the A8N-SLI and the correct revision and such, so I went ahead with it. Needless to say, the apprehension I had about using the windows flash utility for the first time was well justified... The image was definitely not correct, I should not have trusted it and went with the good old reliable doing it myself way... but I got lazy... =)

My question is, does anyone know of any reputable sources for getting your bios flashed or purchasing a new chip with a bios image on it. I do not have a board with a similar bios type to hot flash with.

I have submitted a technical inquiry with Asus's web page, but have not gotten a responce.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
While I haven't used it, I believe you can flash the BIOS from the CD that came with that mobo assuming this is an ASUS. Surprised you had a problem, I just upgraded the BIOS on the board using the Windows flash using the ASUS BIOS upgrade program.

Jofuss

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Aye, the A8N-SLI is indeed an Asus board. I could have easily just downloaded the boot image and flash utility needed to flash the bois and in retrospect I wish I had. Unfortunately since the flash was bad, the board is in paperweight condition right now so no chance to reflash. So I'm back to my original question of if there are any good companies that flash/sell bios's. I just dont feel comfortable dealing with a company that could very well be fly-by-night.

Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Aye, the A8N-SLI is indeed an Asus board. I could have easily just downloaded the boot image and flash utility needed to flash the bois and in retrospect I wish I had. Unfortunately since the flash was bad, the board is in paperweight condition right now so no chance to reflash. So I'm back to my original question of if there are any good companies that flash/sell bios's. I just dont feel comfortable dealing with a company that could very well be fly-by-night.

Thanks

I take this to mean you can not boot from either the Optical Drive or Floppy. Did you check the ASUS site or manual on bad BIOS because ASUS makes a pretty big deal about their recovery method? I'm at a different computer so I don't know which BIOS they use, I believe one is something like AMI and the other may be Promise. If you can get this information, I'd start with the BIOS website.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sorry but this is beyond anything I could help you with but will continue to follow the post to see what the solution is. If this happened to me and the mobo was still under warranty, I'd just send it back. I've had to RMA an ASUS board and other than it's a pain to tear apart, ship, and reinstall, ASUS was easy to deal with. If you do RMA it, I'd just say it won't post and not go into any details.

Jofuss

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Indeed... The main reason I did not RMA the board, was that Asus told me I had to deal with who ever sold it to me, the e-tailer said I had to deal with Asus... I also didnt have the receipt though I just reolized I can print one off the e-tailers web site... doh!

The contact I send to Asus yesterday listed the serial number so I'm thinking I might have just blew my RMA chances.

Oh well... I'll see what I can do.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Not really sure I understand the problem. I don't remember if I did the RMA online or had to call. I don't remember anything about having been told I had to go through the retailer but if they told me that, I told them that it was beyond the retailers time for returning the board. They gave me an RMA numbre and I sent it back. I did a quick check on the ASUS site but didn't find anything about how to RMA the board but I know it's there somewhere. Bottom line is that if the mobo is under warranty, they'll take it back and either fix or send you another mobo, which could be refurbished but as long as it works, who cares. I mean your sending back a mobo that's been used. Again, just tell them it won't post and you have no idea why. Usually when I'm RMAing something I act pretty dumb, which I seem to be pretty good at given people seem pretty to believe it. :D

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
There are a bunch of services on eBay that will burn you a eprom. I have a programmer I bought for just the same problem you have. So far I have revived may pc thrown away, with bad BIOS's. I do not know what part of the world you resides, so coming by is out of the question.

Programmers can be had for ~$60, But in some rare cases the wrong code will damage the MB.

Jofuss

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I've been looking around left and rightfor an eeprom plcc programmer... Where did you find one so cheap? The only things I can come up with are in the many hundreds of dollars range.

Appreciated

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I bought a Willem Eprom Programmer v4.5? from a outfit in canada. They sell on eBay. At the moment I can't find the link to their website. I found it was cheaper to buy direct than go through ebay. I also bought a TSOP-40 adapter which was $40 by it self. I have some SnapNAS that use this package. It has worked flawlessly for me. I purchased blank chips from Mouser, both low voltage and std 5v. Do search using Willem programmer.

It has saved me a lot of times. Knowing that I have a way to recovery is something terribly goes wrong. And believe me I have used it. I pick up pc's that are thrown away. I have found several that had the Konibie virus that took the BIOS out. Clean Install and a new bios, up and running. Hopefull the user learned he/she needs to run AV.