Windows Firewall Program Exception List

I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list, several
of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and services.

I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to XP...during
which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.

1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did not
seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is the
%WINDIR% supposed to work?

2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions one
for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at a
particular location will this cause other problems?

Thanks
Smurfman

Hi Smurfman,

Thanks for posting!

From your description, I would like answer your questions as below:

Q: 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
not seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is
the %WINDIR% supposed to work?

A: The %Windir% path can work fine. And in your scenario, this is a
recommended method to set the path. For detailed information, you may refer
to description for setting of "Define Program Exceptions".

Q: 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions
one for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at
a particular location will this cause other problems?

A: If you do not use %Windir% path. It does not hurt anything building 2
entries in the program exceptions. Also, it doesn't matter if a grogram is
not present at a particular location.

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
| Subject: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
| Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:10:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list,
several
| of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and
services.

| I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to XP...during
| which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.
|
| 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
not
| seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is the
| %WINDIR% supposed to work?
|
| 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions one
| for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at a
| particular location will this cause other problems?
|
| Thanks
| Smurfman

Thanks Jason.
Last night I did put the %WINDIR% in the exception list...I am thinking that
when I tried this before perhaps there was a typo...but it seemed to look
just fine when I logged in as admin, and looked at the program exceptions.

Thanks

"Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

> Hi Smurfman,
>
> Thanks for posting!
>
> From your description, I would like answer your questions as below:
>
> Q: 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
> not seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is
> the %WINDIR% supposed to work?
>
> A: The %Windir% path can work fine. And in your scenario, this is a
> recommended method to set the path. For detailed information, you may refer
> to description for setting of "Define Program Exceptions".
>
> Q: 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions
> one for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at
> a particular location will this cause other problems?
>
> A: If you do not use %Windir% path. It does not hurt anything building 2
> entries in the program exceptions. Also, it doesn't matter if a grogram is
> not present at a particular location.
>
> If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Jason Tan
>
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> --------------------
> | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
> | Subject: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
> | Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:10:02 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
> |
> | I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list,
> several
> | of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and
> services.
> |
> | I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to XP...during
> | which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.
> |
> | 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
> not
> | seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is the
> | %WINDIR% supposed to work?
> |
> | 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions one
> | for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at a
> | particular location will this cause other problems?
> |
> | Thanks
> | Smurfman

Hi Smurfman,

Good to hear everything works fine. If you have any other questions or
concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
| Subject: RE: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
| Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:41:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
|
| Thanks Jason.
| Last night I did put the %WINDIR% in the exception list...I am thinking
that
| when I tried this before perhaps there was a typo...but it seemed to look
| just fine when I logged in as admin, and looked at the program exceptions.
|
| Thanks
|
| "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
|
| > Hi Smurfman,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > From your description, I would like answer your questions as below:
| >
| > Q: 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and
did
| > not seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\...
is
| > the %WINDIR% supposed to work?
| >
| > A: The %Windir% path can work fine. And in your scenario, this is a
| > recommended method to set the path. For detailed information, you may
refer
| > to description for setting of "Define Program Exceptions".
| >
| > Q: 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program
exceptions
| > one for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present
at
| > a particular location will this cause other problems?
| >
| > A: If you do not use %Windir% path. It does not hurt anything building
2
| > entries in the program exceptions. Also, it doesn't matter if a grogram
is
| > not present at a particular location.
| >
| > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so

| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
| > | Subject: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
| > | Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:10:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
| > |
| > | I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list,
| > several
| > | of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and
| > services.
| > |
| > | I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to
XP...during
| > | which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.
| > |
| > | 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and
did
| > not
| > | seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is
the
| > | %WINDIR% supposed to work?
| > |
| > | 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions
one
| > | for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present
at a
| > | particular location will this cause other problems?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > | Smurfman
| > |