Windows Firewall Program Exception List

I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list, several
of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and services.

I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to XP...during
which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.

1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did not
seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is the
%WINDIR% supposed to work?

2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions one
for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at a
particular location will this cause other problems?

Thanks
Smurfman
3 answers Last reply
More about windows firewall program exception list

    Hi Smurfman,

    Thanks for posting!

    From your description, I would like answer your questions as below:

    Q: 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
    not seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is
    the %WINDIR% supposed to work?

    A: The %Windir% path can work fine. And in your scenario, this is a
    recommended method to set the path. For detailed information, you may refer
    to description for setting of "Define Program Exceptions".

    Q: 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions
    one for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at
    a particular location will this cause other problems?

    A: If you do not use %Windir% path. It does not hurt anything building 2
    entries in the program exceptions. Also, it doesn't matter if a grogram is
    not present at a particular location.

    If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
    | Subject: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
    | Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:10:02 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    |
    | I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list,
    several
    | of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and
    services.

    | I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to XP...during
    | which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.
    |
    | 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
    not
    | seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is the
    | %WINDIR% supposed to work?
    |
    | 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions one
    | for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at a
    | particular location will this cause other problems?
    |
    | Thanks
    | Smurfman

    Thanks Jason.
    Last night I did put the %WINDIR% in the exception list...I am thinking that
    when I tried this before perhaps there was a typo...but it seemed to look
    just fine when I logged in as admin, and looked at the program exceptions.

    Thanks

    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

    > Hi Smurfman,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > From your description, I would like answer your questions as below:
    >
    > Q: 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
    > not seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is
    > the %WINDIR% supposed to work?
    >
    > A: The %Windir% path can work fine. And in your scenario, this is a
    > recommended method to set the path. For detailed information, you may refer
    > to description for setting of "Define Program Exceptions".
    >
    > Q: 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions
    > one for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at
    > a particular location will this cause other problems?
    >
    > A: If you do not use %Windir% path. It does not hurt anything building 2
    > entries in the program exceptions. Also, it doesn't matter if a grogram is
    > not present at a particular location.
    >
    > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > --------------------
    > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
    > | Subject: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
    > | Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:10:02 -0700
    > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    > |
    > | I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list,
    > several
    > | of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and
    > services.
    > |
    > | I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to XP...during
    > | which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.
    > |
    > | 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and did
    > not
    > | seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is the
    > | %WINDIR% supposed to work?
    > |
    > | 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions one
    > | for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present at a
    > | particular location will this cause other problems?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > | Smurfman

    Hi Smurfman,

    Good to hear everything works fine. If you have any other questions or
    concerns, please feel free to let us know.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
    | Subject: RE: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
    | Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:41:05 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    |
    | Thanks Jason.
    | Last night I did put the %WINDIR% in the exception list...I am thinking
    that
    | when I tried this before perhaps there was a typo...but it seemed to look
    | just fine when I logged in as admin, and looked at the program exceptions.
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Smurfman,
    | >
    | > Thanks for posting!
    | >
    | > From your description, I would like answer your questions as below:
    | >
    | > Q: 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and
    did
    | > not seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\...
    is
    | > the %WINDIR% supposed to work?
    | >
    | > A: The %Windir% path can work fine. And in your scenario, this is a
    | > recommended method to set the path. For detailed information, you may
    refer
    | > to description for setting of "Define Program Exceptions".
    | >
    | > Q: 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program
    exceptions
    | > one for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present
    at
    | > a particular location will this cause other problems?
    | >
    | > A: If you do not use %Windir% path. It does not hurt anything building
    2
    | > entries in the program exceptions. Also, it doesn't matter if a grogram
    is
    | > not present at a particular location.
    | >
    | > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Jason Tan
    | >
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    | >
    | > =====================================================
    | >
    | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    so

    | > =====================================================
    rights.

    | > --------------------
    | > | From: "=?Utf-8?B?U211cmZtYW4=?=" <smurfman@news.postalias>
    | > | Subject: Windows Firewall Program Exception List
    | > | Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:10:02 -0700
    | > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    | > |
    | > | I built a GPO that had several program defined in the exception list,
    | > several
    | > | of which were listed as C:\Windows\... for help desk programs and
    | > services.
    | > |
    | > | I have just started upgrading some Windows 2000 machines to
    XP...during
    | > | which the upgrade leaves the OS in the C:\WINNT folder.
    | > |
    | > | 1) I tried the %WINDIR%\programfolder\program.exe method before and
    did
    | > not
    | > | seem to have good success...I was forced to enter C:\Windows\... is
    the
    | > | %WINDIR% supposed to work?
    | > |
    | > | 2) Does it hurt anything building 2 entries in the program exceptions
    one
    | > | for C:\WINNT the other for C:\Windows? If a program is not present
    at a
    | > | particular location will this cause other problems?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Smurfman
    | > |