user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi all,

We have some machines that we don't want to let have access to the internet
I stopped this by adding iexplore.exe to the list of windows applications
that are not allowed to run in group policy. This does indeed work fine. If
you try to launch Internet Explorer you get a message about restrictions.
However, some of our more enterprising users have found that if they type
the web address in Word, then click on it that launches IE and works fine.
If you look at the process list, iexplore.exe is alive, well and running
just great!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

Hi,

You can define a fake proxy server and prohibit access to Internet Properties.
Regards,

"user" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have some machines that we don't want to let have access to the internet
> I stopped this by adding iexplore.exe to the list of windows applications
> that are not allowed to run in group policy. This does indeed work fine. If
> you try to launch Internet Explorer you get a message about restrictions.
> However, some of our more enterprising users have found that if they type
> the web address in Word, then click on it that launches IE and works fine.
> If you look at the process list, iexplore.exe is alive, well and running
> just great!
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Bill

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I had considered that but heres the snag...
All of the time user x will be logged on hopefully with the restrictions in
place. I need to be able to let user y use Internet Explorer using the
runas.exe.
My other thought was to remove the autocorrecting of hyperlinks in Word, but
as they've worked out about typing the URL in Word to get IE to work, I
figure they can work out how to change the autocorrect back!

Bill

"VMM" <VMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You can define a fake proxy server and prohibit access to Internet
> Properties.
> Regards,
>
> "user" wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have some machines that we don't want to let have access to the
>> internet
>> I stopped this by adding iexplore.exe to the list of windows applications
>> that are not allowed to run in group policy. This does indeed work fine.
>> If
>> you try to launch Internet Explorer you get a message about restrictions.
>> However, some of our more enterprising users have found that if they type
>> the web address in Word, then click on it that launches IE and works
>> fine.
>> If you look at the process list, iexplore.exe is alive, well and running
>> just great!
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Bill

Can you block their nodes from your firewall?

--
Shaune
"user" <a> wrote in message news:u5QtQKuuFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I had considered that but heres the snag...
> All of the time user x will be logged on hopefully with the restrictions
in
> place. I need to be able to let user y use Internet Explorer using the
> runas.exe.
> My other thought was to remove the autocorrecting of hyperlinks in Word,
but
> as they've worked out about typing the URL in Word to get IE to work, I
> figure they can work out how to change the autocorrect back!
>
> Bill
>

> "VMM" <VMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can define a fake proxy server and prohibit access to Internet
> > Properties.
> > Regards,
> >
> > "user" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> We have some machines that we don't want to let have access to the
> >> internet
> >> I stopped this by adding iexplore.exe to the list of windows
applications
> >> that are not allowed to run in group policy. This does indeed work
fine.
> >> If
> >> you try to launch Internet Explorer you get a message about
restrictions.
> >> However, some of our more enterprising users have found that if they
type
> >> the web address in Word, then click on it that launches IE and works
> >> fine.
> >> If you look at the process list, iexplore.exe is alive, well and
running
> >> just great!
> >>
> >> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
> >>
> >> Bill

Hi Bill,

Easy yet silly way to resolve this would be to make a policy pointing
the users "you do not want to be able to access the net" to a non
existant proxy, then within the same policy, deny them access to "lan
settings" in internet explorers "internet options" so they cannot
remove it. This way they can open IE anyway they want, yet they can't
do nothing with it.

Bingo!