Sign in with
Your question

In Browser Video Causing Internet and Router Breakdown

Last response: in Networking
September 20, 2006 9:15:23 PM

Ok i'm having a rather strange problem as of late. Whenever i view an in-browser video, as soon as the video tries to load my internet connection ceases completely. I have to unplug my router and plug it back in be4 my connection will return.

I just built a new computer system and this happened on my previous system as well. It seems to be plugin specific, quicktime video will work in-browser, but windows medial player and realplayer cause my connection to cease.

I'm using a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router (connection to my PC is wired tho, not wireless). I've tried setting up a DMZ to my IP address, but it hasn't stopped the problem. Firmware is up to date. This happens regaurdless of what browser i use, it's happened with IE, Firefox, and Netscape. All of which are the most recent versions, and windows is completely up to date.

Any ideas here?
September 21, 2006 1:29:50 AM

Uninstall Apple QT for now, and see if IE returns to normal.

IF SO when you install QT, Deselect Play Movies Automaticly under Browser (Apple View preferences). Under MIME Section uncheck all execpt QT, and Apple specific File formats.
September 21, 2006 3:56:59 AM

Quote:
Uninstall Apple QT for now, and see if IE returns to normal.

IF SO when you install QT, Deselect Play Movies Automaticly under Browser (Apple View preferences). Under MIME Section uncheck all execpt QT, and Apple specific File formats.

QT is the only thing that works, why would unistalling it help?
Related resources
September 21, 2006 4:32:05 PM

QT changed all of the setting. If you no not want to un-install to restore the defaulets settings back to MS . You will can try to make some MAJOR settings on the preference. UnCheck all streaming, There ar 2 placed in QT preferenced. There is also a MIME section which tells wheigh prg uses what I uncheck every thing the is not related, MacPaint, QTmovie .

It uses to be ok the new version that just came now reset all of your original setings making it the default for most ecerything. Just need to un check everthing tha add the ones that QT actulally play.

Un Installing it was a quick way to see if something else did not mess it up. It did the same thing to mine. But if your not willing to take the steps to correct the problems that up to you, You should have not posted for help.
September 21, 2006 11:34:42 PM

Quote:
QT changed all of the setting. If you no not want to un-install to restore the defaulets settings back to MS . You will can try to make some MAJOR settings on the preference. UnCheck all streaming, There ar 2 placed in QT preferenced. There is also a MIME section which tells wheigh prg uses what I uncheck every thing the is not related, MacPaint, QTmovie .

It uses to be ok the new version that just came now reset all of your original setings making it the default for most ecerything. Just need to un check everthing tha add the ones that QT actulally play.

Un Installing it was a quick way to see if something else did not mess it up. It did the same thing to mine. But if your not willing to take the steps to correct the problems that up to you, You should have not posted for help.

Look you're getting WAY to defensive, i just asked frickin WHY, i didn't ask you to defend your life's work...

ANYWAYS, i did what you said and it didn't change anything, i changed all the QT settings, and video still froze my connection. I uninstalled QT and that didn't help either, video still froze my connection. :( 

Any other ideas peeps?
September 22, 2006 12:40:42 AM

I had QT and MS media player fight each other. The reason for un-installing QT.

There are 2 site that deal with diag of net speed issues. One is http://www.speedguide.net another http://dslreports.com .

Speedguide has a TCPOptimizer.

I could also be that the old 11b router is finally giving up the ghost.
September 22, 2006 7:01:24 AM

Quote:
I had QT and MS media player fight each other. The reason for un-installing QT.

There are 2 site that deal with diag of net speed issues. One is http://www.speedguide.net another http://dslreports.com .

Speedguide has a TCPOptimizer.

I could also be that the old 11b router is finally giving up the ghost.

Well it's not a speed issue. And i was wondering if perhaps the router is just crapping about some new protocol or info packet it's not completely understanding, causing it to shit it's pants...
September 22, 2006 1:16:23 PM

One more thought,

empty/delete all internet cache from Windows/temp and Temporary Internet cache located under local users account. Re start windows

And you may need to reset the TCP stack. Will have to search MS Knowledge base for that.
!