about the new 8800GTS 320mb...

nicasoft

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
hi, i was wondering if the new 8800 GTS >>320MB<< that are supose to come out on feb. will be better than 7950GT, 7950GX2 ??
with this 320mb card will i be able to play DX10 games such as crysis and other new dx10 games at full?

i was thinking on buying the 8800GTS 680mb, but if i buy this 320mb version i would be able to buy an E6600 core 2 duo. help me make my decision please

my current spec. are:

Pentium D 945 3.4ghz
Asus P5B-Deluxe/wifi-AP
evga 7900GT KO
2 maxtor sata 80gb raid-0 , sata2 western digital 250gb
Thermaltake toughpower 750W
OCZ Gold 4x512mb 667 at 4-4-4-8

thanks for the support...

mpjesse

Splendid
performance will likely still be better w/ the 320mb GTS over the 7950GT and GX2.

as for DX10 games, that's anyone's guess. you're asking a question about something for which NO ONE has the answer. except maybe nVidia.

if I were you I'd wait until R600 is released. it's only a few weeks away now.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Bingo. If it's a monster (which it darn well better be), it will probably force nVidia to lower the price on the G80 (right now they can charge whatever they want because nothing can really touch it).

core2duo

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
the prices on g80 in the states are great. in denmark a 8800gts normally cost 580 dollars.
i think the 8800gts with 320mb of ram will be a true monster but at lower prices :D

nicasoft

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Bingo. If it's a monster (which it darn well better be), it will probably force nVidia to lower the price on the G80 (right now they can charge whatever they want because nothing can really touch it).

Im a nvidia Fan :wink: . but speaking of that... does any body know how much the price of nvidia G80 (gts & gtx) will drop after r600?? and when??

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I don't really think anybody can "know" if/when it will drop. As far as I have seen, nVidia hasn't posted any concrete plans for price drops.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Price drops for competition=great time for upgrades!! :)

The 8800GTS has a 680mb version (?), or are we talking a GT or Ultra counterpart? Where are the GT's and Ultra's supposed to stand with the current naming convention as far as price/performance?

I dont think the R600 will be released at reasonable prices, which means the 8800gts is still a great option.

I own one and feel it has enough oomph to take on Crysis, though since thats really impossible to know, its just speculation.

However, there MAY be price differences between now and when the R600 is released which could result in you paying less for the particular card you want buy.

Also: if you plan on overclocking, I hear the 6400 is a better way to spend your money as you can OC it to 6600 speeds.

nicasoft

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
but what about some people sayin that 320mb is not enough for DirectX 10? my screen resolution is 1400x1050 im using a viewsonic VG2021m 20"

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
sup

If I remember correctly Doom3, and Quake4 uses 512MB of video memory at ultra high settings, and that engine is getting older now, new engines are going to be comming out like the CryEngine-2 that will probably use up 768MB-1GB of video memory. So to answer your question, with 320MB no you wont be able to run it with everything maxed it will chunk like a bastard, atleast it would be a pretty slide show haha.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I haven't seen that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are that rough on video memory, I do know that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter performs noticeably better on 512mb cards vs. 256mb cards. I have seen benches showing Oblivion performing better, but then I have seen benches performing identical when using a 512mb and 256mb version of the exact same card, so I have no conclusion to draw on that.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
I haven't seen that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are that rough on video memory, I do know that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter performs noticeably better on 512mb cards vs. 256mb cards. I have seen benches showing Oblivion performing better, but then I have seen benches performing identical when using a 512mb and 256mb version of the exact same card, so I have no conclusion to draw on that.

I just loaded up Quake4, and if you try and set it on Ultra High it says "WARNING - Running Quake4 in Ultra Quality Utilizes over 500 Megabytes of texture memory, running in this mode is not recommended. Are you sure you want to procede? Yes - NO.

Also it runs like total crap on my BFG 7800GS-OC 256MB card, in Ultra Quality, but perfect on high Quality.

So I guess you would be wrong huh?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
hi, i was wondering if the new 8800 GTS >>320MB<< that are supose to come out on feb. will be better than 7950GT, 7950GX2 ??
with this 320mb card will i be able to play DX10 games such as crysis and other new dx10 games at full?

i was thinking on buying the 8800GTS 680mb, but if i buy this 320mb version i would be able to buy an E6600 core 2 duo. help me make my decision please

my current spec. are:

Pentium D 945 3.4ghz
Asus P5B-Deluxe/wifi-AP
evga 7900GT KO
2 maxtor sata 80gb raid-0 , sata2 western digital 250gb
Thermaltake toughpower 750W
OCZ Gold 4x512mb 667 at 4-4-4-8

thanks for the support...

The only difference is the amount of RAM. All other specs are the same so if the game has larger texture requirements it will be slower than the normal GTS.

I cant remremember the links, but 512 deffinately has an advantage over 256 in SOME games. Use google, youll find benches that say so on CURRENT games. Like was said before, already there are some games out now, the future only surely asks for more. I agree fully

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
I remember that the 256mb version of the 9800pro had no benifet (or maybe 2%) over the cheaper 128 version.

Yeah I remember that too, but that was because games out at the time werent requiring 256MB of texture memory, so its all dependant on the game engine, and one that is properly done like the Doom3 engine will show huge gains the more video memory you have. Both Doom3, and Quake4 at Ultra Quality, runs like a striped assed ape on my friends 8800GTS, which is partly due to the fact that he has 640MB of texture memory.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006

I just loaded up Quake4, and if you try and set it on Ultra High it says "WARNING - Running Quake4 in Ultra Quality Utilizes over 500 Megabytes of texture memory, running in this mode is not recommended. Are you sure you want to procede? Yes - NO.

Also it runs like total crap on my BFG 7800GS-OC 256MB card, in Ultra Quality, but perfect on high Quality.

Well I initially said "I haven't seen that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are that rough on video memory." Therefore I wasn't making a statement such as "Doom 3 and Quake 4 do not consume a lot of video memory."

Before you give smart ass responses you may want to re-read what you are responding to.

That message doesn't come up for me, I am unsure why it doesn't but it doesn't happen to me or my roommate's rig and he has an x1800xt.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003

Well I initially said "I haven't seen that Doom 3 and Quake 4 are that rough on video memory." Therefore I wasn't making a statement such as "Doom 3 and Quake 4 do not consume a lot of video memory."

Before you give smart ass responses you may want to re-read what you are responding to.

That message doesn't come up for me, I am unsure why it doesn't but it doesn't happen to me or my roommate's rig and he has an x1800xt.

erm put the pipe down, you did make a statement, and in your rebuttle you said the exact same thing you just reworded it. lol man are you serious, how can I not be a smart ass when you are setting yourself up like that...sigh

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
What? I made a statement saying that in the reviews I have read and in my personal experiences I had not experienced performance change between 256mb and 512mb in those two games. My first statement provided a reader with the idea that this performance change was plausible, I had simply not experienced it or seen it documented. I then provided an example of a game in which I knew the performance changed and I had experienced and seen benchmarks run. Read what I wrote again, I re-read it and my logic is not flawed.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Im a nvidia Fan :wink: . but speaking of that... does any body know how much the price of nvidia G80 (gts & gtx) will drop after r600?? and when??

Sounds to me more like you're a Stupidity Fan.

I bet you used GeForce FX cards.

Let me feed you in- The G80 runs super hot, plays Crysis like crap and its cost could easily feed a family of 4.

The R600, as usual from ATI, will most likely be stable, classy and well pacakged.

Nvidia always rushes its stuff out to feed the ignorant fan boys. I loved Nvidia in the times of GeForce 1, GeForce 2 GTS, GeForce 3 TI200 and GeForce 4 Ti4400, but between then and the 7 series, they were crap.

Between the R500 releases and the G80 releases, equally disappointing.

Try to avoid being a "fan" of a brand, and be a "fan" of performance.

nicasoft

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007

Sounds to me more like you're a Stupidity Fan.

I bet you used GeForce FX cards.

Let me feed you in- The G80 runs super hot, plays Crysis like crap and its cost could easily feed a family of 4.

The R600, as usual from ATI, will most likely be stable, classy and well pacakged.

Nvidia always rushes its stuff out to feed the ignorant fan boys. I loved Nvidia in the times of GeForce 1, GeForce 2 GTS, GeForce 3 TI200 and GeForce 4 Ti4400, but between then and the 7 series, they were crap.

Between the R500 releases and the G80 releases, equally disappointing.

Do you work for Ati or something??? as far i can see nvidia is heading in sales... this must be because of something dont you think :wink:

I loved Nvidia GeForce 3 TI200...

heehehhee.