Who here has done the step up program with EVGA?

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I got 8 days left and I'm really thinking of steping up to a 8800GTX from my GTS for about $125 so I was just wondering how this went for others.

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
i haven't done the step-up program but I have helped people do the limited lifetime warranty RMA service... they have GREAT customer service from what I've experienced, and I highly recommend giving them a call and taking advantage of that deal... or you'll miss out!!!

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Same here I did the step-up and had no problems whats so ever.
But as logainofhades stated you wont have a card for that period of time unless you have an extra one laying around.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Actually that isn't totally true. For a ~$150 deposit they will cross ship and you can keep your card for a few days until your new one comes and then ship your GTS to them. Being that eVGA covers basically anything in their warranty you don't have anything to worry about to get your deposit back as long as the stock cooler is placed back on the card if you had an aftermarket one, which you probably didn't due to the lack of available coolers on the market.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I did the step-up last year from my 7800GT to the 7900GT KO 512 and had no problems. I originally got the 7900GT KO SC but that turned out to be a pile of a card (Samsung memory vs. Infinion memory), so after 3 RMA's they just gave me the 512mb version ^.^ No problems since. EVGA is the best in the business from my experience. No reason not to do the step-up!

leo2kp

Distinguished
Yeah, I think the opportunity itself is worth the wait. You won't sit there 4 months from now playing Oblivion in HD complaining that you had to wait a week and a half for the card ;) lol.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Cool, post back and let us know if you can tell a difference in gameplay.

What games do you play the most and what monitor/resolution do you play at?

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
:lol: I only play World of Warcraft. :lol:

JK, don't play that game at all, I play Oblivion, a few RTS's, FEAR and those terrible xbox 360 ports. I don't play too much OpenGL and I really enjoyed Dark messiah. The only real slow downs I had with my GTS is in Oblivion while riding through the forest on my horse and Rainbow Six. Installed FEAR again on my computer last night and it dropped to about 55-56 in a couple places. Of course you don't notice it but I just made a mental note of it.

I have a 19"widescreen and play at 1280*1024 or 1440x900 whatever is available. I know it's overkill now but I'm thinking of later. I was going to SLI my GTS but I'll have to buy the new card and a new mobo. The gts sli scales quite well but the difference to the gts and gtx is quite big and it's much cheaper this way to get that extra performance.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Thanks man! I will hopefully be able to get a card to run *most* games at 1680 x 1050 with full settings for the current price range of the GTS in a few months when I upgrade some stuff.

Nomans63

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I got 8 days left and I'm really thinking of steping up to a 8800GTX from my GTS for about $125 so I was just wondering how this went for others.
I did with the second eVGA 7900GTX for my SLI system. It was quite easy actually because eVGA has designed the Step up pogram to be really straight forward. I was very concern at that time because it was the first time I've done something like that and second, the 7900GTX was out-of-stock for a couple weeks everywhere. But at the end all my worries were for nothing. All you have to do is to register your eVGA card first at their web site before you can sign up to the Step Up program. Then you select the card you want to step up, give them your CC, and just wait for the notification email. They won't charge your CC before they ship the replacement card to you.

So, overall it was a positive experience for me. Hope this would help ye.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
I just got it at lunch today and had to take the rest of the day off work. Just starting to play around with it now and I also just installed Vista so there's allot of playing I got to do.

Looks like it's too late, the deal is done, he has changed his sig to reflect the change it seems.

And from the looks of things he had the GTS for a while he said he had 8 days left to pull the trigger Feb 1st, so stepping up to the 8900 wouldn't have been an option unfortuantely.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Actually that isn't totally true. For a ~$150 deposit they will cross ship and you can keep your card for a few days until your new one comes and then ship your GTS to them. Being that eVGA covers basically anything in their warranty you don't have anything to worry about to get your deposit back as long as the stock cooler is placed back on the card if you had an aftermarket one, which you probably didn't due to the lack of available coolers on the market.

Hang on a minute

I didn't see anywhere on the eVGA site info about that cross-ship "deposit".
Where and how did you find out about that?

shandro

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
I just bought an evga 8800GTX and was wondering if anybody has a clue when the 8900 is going to come out. cause my 90 days for the step up runs out on may 24.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Cross ship only happens for RMA's to my knowledge. Look at the FAQ for step up. The GTS performed great but I just wanted to ensure abit of a longer life to this round of graphic card purchase.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I did look at the step-Up FAQ and it explicitely says they won't cross-ship, that's why I am asking Tool_462 how he got his cross-shipped.