GPO Access to Security Settings tab on C:

I am trying to GPO out access to the security settings tab on the C:, I
have users that are local admins on there workstations as it is
neccessary for one app we run. But I do not want them accessing that
security tab, Does anyone know where that GPO is? or how to go about
it?

Hi,

spddemn@gmail.com schrieb:
> I am trying to GPO out access to the security settings tab on the C:, I
> have users that are local admins on there workstations as it is
> neccessary for one app we run.

Did your ever tried out "where" the missing permissions are?
Sysinternals filemon and regmon can filter the "access denied"
actions that occur by a user start of the program.
After that you can use Filestem und Registry inside the GPO
to adminstrate the local right on a client an give a usergroup
perhaps change or full permissions only on the section they need.

> But I do not want them accessing that security tab, Does
> anyone know where that GPO is? or how to go about it?

In XP there is a GPO, W2K doesnt have it.

XP: User\ADM Templates\Win-Components\Windows Explorer
"Remove "Security" Tab" (sounds like that ... sorry no engl. Version)

2000, set permissions on:
Filesystem: %systemroot%\system32\Rshx32.dll
Remove "Everyone" Read, add only your wanted group

Registry: CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1F2E5C40-9550-11CE-99D2-00AA006E086C}
Remove "Everyone" Read, add only your wanted group

Easiest way to realize it: Take the GPO - Registry and Filesystem ...
If your are in this place of the GPO, you can figrue out, if the
Users really need local admin rights, because:
As a local Admin I can get back the permissions ... just use cacls,
xcacls.exe, xcacls.vbs, takeown, subinacl and a bunge of freeware
like setacl.exe to edit the security settings.
A Admin is a admin is a admin ...

Mark
--
Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server