Sign in with
Your question

Not another check my rig post (sorry guys)

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2007 5:47:03 AM

Here's the skinny. I frequented these forums a few years back and learned a lot about computers from 2003. Now I'm in the market for my new gaming rig, and have done as much research as i have spare time for, but some how i forgot my old friends in the tom's forums. So here I am with less than a day to finalize my remaining components... eeeek!

Here is my list, the bold items have already been purchased. Would like any suggestions or help that can be given. These are canadian prices.

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 ---------------------------------------------------------- 209.98$
ASUS P5B ATX LGA775 Conroe 965P ------------------------------------------- 147.99$
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 1GB 2X512MB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 -------------- 142.99$
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7950 GT PCI-E 550MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ GDDR3 -------- 224.99$
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM ------------------------ 27.09$
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 9MS ---------------- 89.99$
Liteon DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL 8X CDRW ---------------- 29.99$
Antec SLK3000B ATX Mid Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5 No PS ----------- 64.78$
Nmedia MP-500 500W ATX Power Supply 20/24PIN W/ 140MM Fan ---------- 52.98$
Arctic Cooling Arctic Fan 12 120MM 1500RPM 56.3CFM 23.5DBA ------------- 10.5$
Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse 2000DPI --------------------------------- 38.99$
Logitech Deluxe 250 Desktop Black Keyboard & Optical Mouse PS/2 ---------- 19.79$
Dell E228WFP Wide 22 inch Flat Panel Monitor, 22.0 inch ----------------------- 329$

Now like i said, don't be kind, rip it apart if you feel the need. Even the bolded items can be changed. Basically i'm near my price boundary though and i can't really spare anymore money to spend. So if you absolutely must suggest a more expensive part, give me tips on where to cut costs.

I'd like to OC this a little. And get some decent gaming performance out of it. Upgradability is a small concern (maybe in a year or two). Thanks to everyone again, these forums are awesome.

More about : check rig post guys

February 1, 2007 6:56:47 AM

My personal biases:

Get 2GB RAM. You'll need it especially if Vista is on your horizon.

Freezer 7 is probably the best value for the money out there. But I'd go with a Tuniq or Scythe. An extra $30 or so but well worth it for OCland.

7200.10s are the way to go for HDs. Similar price too.

Skip the E228WFP. I've got a great 14" EGA CRT that I can let you have for ten bucks less. :lol: 
February 1, 2007 1:04:13 PM

ok thanks. I think i'll pass on the 14" crt though. :lol: 

Anyway, I did think about getting 2gb but then again i don't see myself running vista for a good 6months to a year (at which time i can buy some more), because I don't want to be a tester for that bug package.

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the HD and cooler.
Related resources
February 1, 2007 1:17:21 PM

Skip the E4300, it's a ripoff at the moment, especially you can get an E6300 (which is what I think you should do)for teeny bit more. :) 
February 1, 2007 1:50:36 PM

Looks like your gunna try for a decent OC here. May wanna look at getting some CAS4 mem, and I agree, you want atleast 2gb mem. I dunno about OCZ mem, i have read alot of ppl having bad luck with it. Look into corsair or crucial.
February 1, 2007 3:08:03 PM

Good stuff, good stuff. Thanks for the tips. I'm looking into the 2GB of ram. I agree the 6300 is a good cpu, but to OC it, it costs more $$. Also I just thought I'd mention that I have no Intel or NVidia allegiances. In fact if I did have a preference it would be the opposite; AMD and ATI. So if you think I can get better performance/upgradability out of a AM2 then just say so. I'll also looking at getting a better power supply in case I pick up another graphics card later and want to do SLI.
February 1, 2007 3:39:22 PM

Quote:
So if you think I can get better performance/upgradability out of a AM2 then just say so.

No.

What if I shaved another tenner off the price of the 14" EGA? :lol: 
February 1, 2007 3:55:38 PM

I'm going to disagree with switching to an E6300. Even though the E4300 is a little too close to the E6300 in price right now, I would even pay more for it. Looking at it from an overclocking standpoint, it's essentially an E6600 with 2Mb less cache. The 9x multiplier and 200FSB allows for an effortless bump to 266Mhz and from there it's like starting off with an E6600, at least that's the way my mind sees it.

And even though I'm a skeptic to the whole 2Gb of RAM being a massive improvement over 1Gb with the exception of a handful of games or an absolute necessity with Vista, now's probably a good time to go ahead and spring for it, especially with this sweet deal that's only 40 dollars more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
February 1, 2007 3:56:48 PM

I recognize your list and prices......I can tell where you're shopping LOL. BC, anyone? ;) 

Listen, there are some problems with your specs: They don't match properly. For example, people here are saying get CL4 DDR2-800 RAM for OC'ing, but your PSU sucks, and so does that mobo for OC'ing. It doesn't match, ya see?

If you want to OC, then get a P5B-E not the regular P5B, but honestly I'd recommend the Gigabyte 965P-S3 (or DS3) because it's a noob-friend OC'ing mobo, very stable, great price, good features

Now, if you want HIGH overclocks, get the OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 CL4 from Canada Computers. Nobody can beat their price right now, not even Direct Canada:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct...

If you want moderate overclocks, then just get 667 RAM, get the OCZ Gold CL5 stuff off their site or wherever is cheap.

Don't let anyone convince you that you NEED CL4 RAM. You don't unless you're going to OC hardcore. Core2Duo chips love high RAM clocks, and don't care so much about CL4 or CL5 unless you're extreme. You WON'T notice the difference except in synthetic benchmarks. Many reviews/articles have been done on this subject and beat it to death. You don't need CL4 to have a C2D kick A$$. So save your money. Get one of those RAMs I've shown you. OCZ had problems with the first C2D mobos and revisions....they're fine now. I know, I've built 2 systems with it, and my current rig has it. And I've got 3.0 ghz and can go more if I want.

AND get 2 gigs RAM, regardless if you're going Vista or not. The price I show above is amazing, jump on it quick.

Now, aside from that........you need a better PSU. Seriously. Spend another $50 or you'll regret it, especially if you're gonna OC at some point. Trust me, crappy PSU = lots of swearing later.

Good vid card, good monitor, good case, good mouse, good hard drive (great sale price there!). You're set on everything else.

Seriously, drop a bit more money to get a good PSU and 2 gigs RAM, you won't regret it. These parts will also last a LONG time, so it's not like a vid card where prices will drop in 6 months and your current card will be crap in a year. RAM and PSU will last a long time, so make sure they're good. Don't waste your money on crap parts there.

Good luck my fellow Canuck. GO LEAFS!! :D 
February 1, 2007 4:08:47 PM

Well, I'm kicking myself in the ass now for totally negleting the fact you're Canadian two seconds after reading it. Posting in these rig recommendation threads can get a little repetitive and it's easy to let the details slide. :p 

But anyway, listen to SkyGuy, he's your man.
February 1, 2007 4:18:31 PM

LOL, us Canucks aren't too "pushy" about our citizenship status....we tend to let those details slide too LOL ;) 
February 1, 2007 4:26:16 PM

Quote:
LOL, us Canucks aren't too "pushy" about our citizenship status....we tend to let those details slide too LOL ;) 

Is that why there are 34 million Canadians and only 26 million are citizens?

:lol: 

Oh well... what do you expect from people who walk around under trees and yell GO LEAFS!

:twisted:
February 1, 2007 4:33:22 PM

LOL, and don't forget: we all live in igloos ;) 

And that funny-coloured money of ours.....and how I just spelled "coloured".....

February 1, 2007 4:58:32 PM

Excellent post. Thanks skyguy. And yeah BC (Okanagan) is where it's at, although I cheer for the Canucks. That did help alot. There are currently a few revisions to my rig. I'm doing most of my shopping at NCIX and plan on doing some serious price matching. So if you know of where the cheaper components are to be had, let me know.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 @ 27$
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 ---------------------------------------------------------- 209.98$
ASUS P5N-E SLI Nforce 650I SLI ------------------------------------------------ 169.99$
OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) ------------------ 236.99$
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM ------------------------ 27.09$
Mushkin HP-550 550W ATX ------------------------------------------------------ 69.99$
Logitech Deluxe 250 Desktop Black Keyboard & Optical Mouse PS/2 ---------- 19.79$
Dell E228WFP Wide 22 inch Flat Panel Monitor, 22.0 inch ----------------------- 329$

Still looking into PSUs but for now I atleast am upgrading to the mushkin.

[edit] - Skyguy you got an opinion on the 4300 Vs 6400 debate?
February 1, 2007 5:03:25 PM

Quote:
Excellent post. Thanks skyguy. And yeah BC (Okanagan) is where it's at, although I cheer for the Canucks. That did help alot. There are currently a few revisions to my rig. I'm doing most of my shopping at NCIX and plan on doing some serious price matching. So if you know of where the cheaper components are to be had, let me know.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 @ 27$
ASUS P5N-E SLI Nforce 650I SLI ------------------------------------------------ 169.99$
OCZ DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) ------------------ 142.99$
Mushkin HP-550 550W ATX ------------------------------------------------------ 69.99$

Still looking into PSUs but for now I atleast am upgrading to the mushkin.

Please please please pretty please, delete the Arctic 7 you've got in there (twice) and drop at least another $30 on a Scythe/Tuniq. You won't regret it.

Quote:
LOL, and don't forget: we all live in igloos ;) 

And that funny-coloured money of ours.....and how I just spelled "coloured".....

I'll let my friend Al set the record straight:

Don't want to be a Canadian idiot

Dont want to be some beer swillin' hockey nut
and do I look like some frost bitten hosehead
I never learned my alphabet from A to Zed

They all live on donuts and moose meat
and they leave the house without packin' heat
never even bring their guns to the mall
and you know what else is too funny
their stupid monopoly money
can't take 'em seriously at all

Well maple syrup and snow's what they export
they treat curling just like it's a real sport
they think their silly accent is so cute
can't understand a thing they're talking aboot

sure they got their national health care
cheaper meds low crime rates and clean air
then again well they got celine dion
eat their weight in kraft macaroni
and dream of driving a zamboni
all over saskatchewan

Don't want to be a Canadian idiot
Won't figure out the temperature in Celsius
see the map they're hovering right over us
tell you the truth it makes me kinda nervous

always hear the same kind of story
break their nose and they'll just say sorry
tell me what kind of freaks are that polite
It's gotta mean they're all up to something
so quick before they see it coming
time for a pre-emptive strike
February 1, 2007 5:24:15 PM

Capt, tell your buddy that's frickin awesome, I love it!!! :D 

Nate:

MUCH BETTER build this time. A few comments though:

-2 gigs RAM for $142.99 :?: :!: Where? I'll buy 2 more gigs RIGHT NOW AT THAT PRICE!! Or is that a typo and you meant 1 gig?? :( 

-very good choice on the mobo, well done.

-Tuniq or Scythe....yes they're better, but will you be OC'ing hardcore, and what about noise?? Just something to consider. They are the champs at cooling, no doubt, but are they needed in your case? Read up on them and find out yes or no.

-Mushkin PSU is ok. Better than what you had. Keep searching and you might find something at a good price.

-Consider a backup drive in the not-too-distant future. If your one primary goes down, you're SCREWED. You'll wish you had spent the $100 extra in the first place. BACKUP drive is your best friend ;) 

Now, 4300 vs 6xxx debate. Jury's still out there, waiting to see some factual data and benchmarks there. However, given past experience, we can easily extrapolate an answer in the meantime:

Look at any CPU and compare it to an exact speed CPU that has half the cache. Check the performance numbers. Very simple. It will make a good difference in some applications, and none in others. The one with more cache will perform better, end of story. But what people need to ask beyond that is "How much better, and at what cost"? And then the next question even beyond that is, "But can I overclock the lesser CPU to match/beat the performance of the higher one?". That is where the answer resides.

So, the real question is, "Can a 4300 that is OC'd to its max beat a 6300/6400/6600?" And then you have to ask, "What is the cost difference to get there?". If you can hit 2.9 ghz with a 4300 with cheaper 667 RAM and stock air cooling, vs 3.0 with a 6300 with 800 RAM, then what's the cost difference?

Real-world performance differences are always LESS NOTICEABLE by us in our daily usage than in benchmarks. So, will you notice 5.2 milliseconds vs 5.8 milliseconds difference in a program access time or number crunch? If you do, then you should quit whatever you're doing and go earn millions of dollars working for the military contractors or IT companies or something.

Also, how much is it worth to you to spend 3:37 minutes encoding a DVD vs 3:56?? Is 19 seconds with $150 to you, to buy much better RAM and CPU? If so, then you must be RICH, and why are you buying a 4300 in the first place? You should be buying a quad core with 8800GTX's in SLI and phase cooling.

I may be in the minority here, but if you want the REAL answer to the question, consider this: the BEST success in overclocking is getting the BEST performance at the CHEAPEST price, in order to accomplish what your usage needs are for your system. It's not to get the faster Super-Pi scores. So if you can build an OC monster for $1,400 and it'll destroy what you throw at it, why spend $1,500 or more for one where you won't even know the difference?

Some will say "for the future!" but that's crap. In a year, the basement CPUs will beat your overclocked one, so that's illogical. As long as it does what you want at a reasonable price, then BINGO! And when it can't anymore, sell it, poach the parts, or donate it, then build a new one. And it'll be faster and cheaper than what you had.

So, what's that all mean? LOL. Well, simply put, if you can get a CPU that will OC large, with a great OC'ing mobo that's inexpensive, with inexpensive RAM that won't be overstressed on your OC, then you just WON and you should get that no question. But if you gotta spend alot more money for faster RAM, better mobo, and better CPU for something you won't notice, then you LOST and you should save your money or donate it someone who needs it more than you do ;) 
February 1, 2007 5:28:30 PM

Hey Skyguy, I priced checked the P5N-E down to 159$ is the gigabyte still a better deal at 165.99$? Thanks again for the help.
February 1, 2007 5:39:18 PM

Yeah and I got a little excited and forgot to change the ram pricing. hehe. I edited it above. Also I can get a OCZ 600W psu for 6.67watts per dollar or i can get the mushkin at 7.86watts per dollar. Do I really need more than 500W. I mean I already ditched the SLI mobo, so that's not really an option. And I don't really want to go overboard, cause that's what I did a few years back when I got my 420W psu and now I can't really use that thing anymore. Thanks for the links.

Yeah I used to deal through anitec.ca, but got frustrated with bad/missing orders and poor customer service, so I got on with NCIX, but yeah, I'll definitely explore my options.
February 1, 2007 5:50:30 PM

OCZ, great PSU. Yes, the 600w is "overkill" for you right now, but it would last a long time and also allow for future upgrades (vid card, another hard drive, whatever). Getting a GOOD power supply for $100 CDN or less is a real challenge though. Better to spend a bit more and get something reliable and strong that will last.

If you want an AMAZING PSU, then check this, it's 500w and absolutely silent, a serious top-notch PSU.....kinda the equivalent of a fine Ferrari for your computer ;) 

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14130AC3235&v...
February 1, 2007 5:59:54 PM

X1950pro
Awesome deal! Sale ends today. I just bought my new videocard from them, but the guy charged me the wrong price :lol:  I got it for 199.99. Call up your local Futureshop and ask for a price check, it might be 199. Even at 229, it's faster then the 7950gt 256mb.
February 1, 2007 6:05:01 PM

Good price if you want ATI. Normally Future Shop sucks for pricing but once in awhile you get lucky.

Nice find!
February 1, 2007 6:44:37 PM

Alright I used my credit card to purchase a wack of stuff all told it came to about 1750$ (before stupid *!%$ rebates, not that I don't want the money, it's just a pain in the ass) with monitor and everything

Here's the run-down

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7950 GT PCI-E 550MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ GDDR3
Liteon DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16
Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse 2000DPI
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 9MS
nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN
Coolermaster Elite RC-330 ATX Blk No PS
Logitech Office Pro Keyboard Black
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Dual Core
OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB CL4-4-4-15
ASUS P5N-E SLI Nforce 650I SLI
OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V
DELL 22" Wide LCD

I'm still looking at getting a better cooler, but for now I've bought that one and may decide to exchange it when I go to pick it up on Sunday. Thanks for all the input, was very helpful.

P.S. I went back to the SLI motherboard incase I want to drop another card in a few months.
February 1, 2007 7:32:02 PM

Let us know how that motherboard runs with OCZ memory! I am considering that motherboard and memory.
February 1, 2007 7:41:42 PM

I've actually heard many times that G.Skill RAM is great at overclocking, and many of the forum members run it.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 1, 2007 8:22:15 PM

Avoid Maxtor
February 5, 2007 3:15:57 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. The computer is now assembled and working great. Haven't tried for my OC yet, but I'll let you know when I do. So far RAM seems to be working excellent, no problems.
February 6, 2007 2:09:49 AM

Great to hear!
!