Nathyrra evil?

Last response: in Video Games
December 21, 2004 3:58:39 AM

Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave like
one. Comments?

More about : nathyrra evil

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:58:40 AM

She has to be classed as evil in order to be an assassin - she's clearly
not. Someone asked this same question not long ago.

Best wishes
Maxon

"AJMAN" <AJman@ABC.com> wrote in message
> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave
like
> one. Comments?

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:58:40 AM

"AJMAN" <AJman@ABC.com> wrote in message
> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave
> like one. Comments?

She is a recent convert and has much to atone for before being recognized as
good.

December 21, 2004 3:58:40 AM

Much stranger in my opinion is that The Valsharess is chaotic good.
AJMAN wrote:
> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave like
> one. Comments?

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:58:41 AM

M!ke wrote:
> Much stranger in my opinion is that The Valsharess is chaotic good.

There are more than one Valsharess in the game. The blueprint is chaotic
good, but the one you meet at the end of chapter 2 is chaotic evil.

Hans
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 1:46:57 PM

Is she? Now THAT is weird...
I wonder if Bioware got the alighments of the two characters mixed up...
"M!ke" <nospamm1k3@atlas.cz> wrote in message
> Much stranger in my opinion is that The Valsharess is chaotic good.
> AJMAN wrote:
>> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave
>> like one. Comments?
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:17:07 PM

AJMAN wrote:

> Is she? Now THAT is weird...
> I wonder if Bioware got the alighments of the two characters mixed

Obviously the developers don't bother very much with the alignment of
characters in cutscenes. I remember Irenicus, the bad boy in BG 2. He
appeared in a good aligned version when the player wasn't supposed to
fight him. In the final fight he was evil.

Hans
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:17:08 PM

Hans Wein wrote:

> Obviously the developers don't bother very much with the alignment of
> characters in cutscenes. I remember Irenicus, the bad boy in BG 2. He
> appeared in a good aligned version when the player wasn't supposed to
> fight him.

Good, as were the bandits who held Jaheira hostage at one point.

> In the final fight he was evil.

Evil, as was the head of the Temple of Lathander, and the major-domo of
the de'Arnise Keep.

You know who else isn't evil? Maugrim, from the OC.

Sadly, your first line is still true if you leave out the last two words.

"Obviously the developers don't bother very much with the alignment of
characters."
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:00:44 PM

Kish wrote:
> You know who else isn't evil? Maugrim, from the OC.
>
> Sadly, your first line is still true if you leave out the last two words.
>
> "Obviously the developers don't bother very much with the alignment of
> characters."

Actually, I think it's a form of "immunity to Protections spells". Boss
characters usually have a lot of immunities. Making them Neutral keeps
them from being affected by Aura Against Alignment and Protection
Against Alignment spells. Just another tool to make up for the
horrendous monster AI.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

In this particular case (and others too) it's a plot thing too. As far
as you character knows (at that point of the game) Maugrim is good. Only
at later point of the game does Maugrim's actions reveal him as evil.

This is not a bad thing at all. Not every is supposed to be "obviously"
evil.

Nathyrra's case is more vague. Her actions (and storyline) definitely
make her good. I agree too, that it most likely the Assassin thing. Plus
isn't she an underdark drow, which atleast in the game world appears to
be looked on as an "evil race" (along with pretty much everything else
you come across in the underdark)?

> You know who else isn't evil? Maugrim, from the OC.

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 10:43:31 PM

vellu wrote:

>> You know who else isn't evil? Maugrim, from the OC.
>>
> In this particular case (and others too) it's a plot thing too. As far
> as you character knows (at that point of the game) Maugrim is good. Only
> at later point of the game does Maugrim's actions reveal him as evil.

I believe you're thinking of Desther? Maugrim is pretty much the known
villain from the time you first hear his name.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

vellu wrote:
> In this particular case (and others too) it's a plot thing too. As far
> as you character knows (at that point of the game) Maugrim is good. Only
> at later point of the game does Maugrim's actions reveal him as evil.

As Barry noted, you're talking about Desther (who is also not coded as
evil). Even if Desther was the character in question, what does
anything you're saying have to do with his /coded/ alignment?

> This is not a bad thing at all.

You're right. It's a horrendous thing.

> Not every is supposed to be "obviously"
> evil.

Relevance?

> Plus
> isn't she an underdark drow, which atleast in the game world appears to
> be looked on as an "evil race" (along with pretty much everything else
> you come across in the underdark)?

Again, how is that even slightly relevant?
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:41:01 AM

AJMAN wrote:
> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave like
> one. Comments?

She'd need to have an evil alignment to continue levelling up as an
assassin. Some of the Bioware designers don't let roleplaying
considerations get in the way of an "interesting" character build, and I
suppose they felt they needed to showcase the assassin PRC, and have an
"evil" henchman if the player chose an evil PC.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:46:18 PM

"Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> AJMAN wrote:
>> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave
>> like one. Comments?
>
> She'd need to have an evil alignment to continue levelling up as an
> assassin. Some of the Bioware designers don't let roleplaying
> considerations get in the way of an "interesting" character build, and I
> suppose they felt they needed to showcase the assassin PRC, and have an
> "evil" henchman if the player chose an evil PC.

Still weird because she doesn't behave like one. I mean, if you're going to
make an evil NPC at least you should make him/her speak like an evil NPC...
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 7:46:19 PM

> "Brian G. Vaughan" <foolishowl_hates_spam@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>> AJMAN wrote:
>>> Her character sheet says that she's Lawful Evil, but she doesn't behave
>>> like one. Comments?
>>
>> She'd need to have an evil alignment to continue levelling up as an
>> assassin. Some of the Bioware designers don't let roleplaying
>> considerations get in the way of an "interesting" character build, and I
>> suppose they felt they needed to showcase the assassin PRC, and have an
>> "evil" henchman if the player chose an evil PC.
>
> Still weird because she doesn't behave like one. I mean, if you're going
> to make an evil NPC at least you should make him/her speak like an evil
> NPC...

There was a thread about this recently. You could probably go to google and
search it out.

She is a recent convert. The evil things she has done most of her life have
yet to be offset by the good.