Sign in with
Your question

best/fastest CPU for socket 939?

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2007 3:13:01 PM

Hi there, what is the best and fastest AMD cpu for the socket 939 motherboard?

More about : fastest cpu socket 939

February 1, 2007 3:28:45 PM

It's listed in order from best Chip to lowest quality to highest.

-AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz
-AMD Opteron 185 Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz (best Overclocker @ ~3.2ghz)
February 1, 2007 3:33:29 PM

I would say the FX60 would probably be the fastest that you can run, but you're going to be paying a hell of a lot for one, socket 939 chips cost a lot more than their am2 counterparts as it's almost completely phased out.
I'd reccomend that you get a core2 duo and i'm not a fan of intel really, it's just that the core2 duo chips shit on everything that the 939 platform can use.
In addition it would cost you around 350 quid for an FX60 or 140 quid for a 6400 core 2 duo which will run almost everything faster.
Don't bother upgrading a 939 chip, wait until you have enough cash to change to core 2.
Related resources
February 1, 2007 3:45:07 PM

i think the reason he's asking is because he doesn't want to upgrade his motherboard and RAM.

i do agree that upgrading to an FX60 is a waste of money though.
February 1, 2007 3:51:07 PM

newegg just doubled their prices on the 939 opterons, right now the cheapest is also the highest performing (185 @ $335 vs. 180 @ $646 wtf) My guess is this is just a stock related issue, as in get it now... or its just the retard shift of price adjusters working today.... zipzoom fly has the 180 for $270.
February 1, 2007 3:53:38 PM

Yeah the stock is really being nerfed, I tried to buy a 4600 from dabs, first they repriced it when it was out of stock, so i cancelled then reordered, then they completely cancelled the order with no alternative given. Bottom line you aren't gonna be able to get the fx60 anywhere but ebay.
Sorry for being negative, but I feel a bit cheated by amd really, bought a 4600 and yeah it's ok but it's nowhere near as good as a 6400 and plus games like bf2142 rely more on graphics.
February 1, 2007 4:01:24 PM

I just oc'd my opty 170 to 3 GHz, that should tide me over for awhile as it ties with the e6600 in most benchmarks.... of course only if the 66 isn't oc'd.
February 1, 2007 4:06:35 PM

Quote:
newegg just doubled their prices on the 939 opterons, right now the cheapest is also the highest performing (185 @ $335 vs. 180 @ $646 wtf) My guess is this is just a stock related issue, as in get it now... or its just the retard shift of price adjusters working today.... zipzoom fly has the 180 for $270.

What is NewEgg smokin'? Who is stupid enough to buy a 180 for $646?
February 1, 2007 4:10:56 PM

I got lucky and bought what looks to be the last of the 939 X2-4800+ off newegg, when they had the $250 OEM version. For the money and the performance difference, I'd look for a 4800+. I'm not sure the FX60 will ever pay out in performance. $600 vs 250.

If you were going to spend $600 on the FX60, it would make more sense to go with a Core 2 DUO, Mobo and RAM. The $240 E6600 man handles the FX60, Yu coudl spend the same (or close to it) money on a Intel config that is currently top dog.

But realistically, I think you're looking at grabbing a 4600+, which is around $219 on newegg. Maybe a FX57, for $289 or an Opetron 148 for $248
February 1, 2007 4:12:20 PM

Someone is. When they only have a few of an item left, crank the price up and make as large a profit as they can without having to take up any warehouse space.
February 1, 2007 4:21:52 PM

Quote:
But realistically, I think you're looking at grabbing a 4600+, which is around $219 on newegg. Maybe a FX57, for $289 or an Opetron 148 for $248

The 4600+ would be good, but for the overclocking and cache i'd get this opty 180 for $270.... i'd also get it today, i'm betting it will be gone very fast.
February 1, 2007 4:22:20 PM

Quote:
Someone is. When they only have a few of an item left, crank the price up and make as large a profit as they can without having to take up any warehouse space.

That does it. I've been thinking about this for years, but now I'm gonna take the plunge.

Presenting:

CAPTAIN APRIL'S KVETCHING SERVICE.

When you're contemplating a major purchase, call Captain April first and save hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. Captain April will call upon his decades of experience in top-level negotiations and get you a much better price than you could ever get yourself. Even after the Captain collects his commission you will still be far ahead! So before you drop your hard earned cash on a major purchase, call the Captain: 1-800-4KVETCH! Do it today!
February 1, 2007 4:29:51 PM

Athlon 64 X2 4400+ for $185 on the newegg.

Got mine overclocked to 2.9 Ghz @ 1.35V with a tuniq tower 120.
February 1, 2007 4:30:40 PM

I just bought a few Athlon X2 4600 OEMs for about £124 each inc vat. I got them from Overclockers UK. I purchased them as they were on offer and I have several S939 machines. I was considering the Opterons, but was not sure that the BIOS on my machines (all HP) would support them. As it was the X2 4600s came out cheaper than the opterons with a lower core speed (2.2 Gig for the Opteron, 2.4 Gig for the 4600).

The opterons I was looking at are still available see:
http://www.ballicom.co.uk/detail.php?id=1177503&cat_id=...

The 4600s have gone back up in price. It would seem that there are some 4600s around for socket 939, but the 4800s are like golddust now.

I've checked using the PSU calculator and all the machines will cope with the extra power needed.

I will have a very good look at the existing cpu coolers. From memory they were on the large to very large size. Being the cheepskate that I am I will probably see how the CPU's perform with the existing coolers. I will watch the CPU core temp like a hawk, and then try loading one of them up to 100% cpu occupency. Extracting some very large RAR archives, local disk to local disk should do this. The previous CPUs were an old 3200, and a newer 3800+. Both of these look like thay have a TDP of 89W and the 4600 has a TDP of 110. As these are HP machines the bios will prevent any overclocking, so not being able to do that on the existing PSU and CPU cooler is not a problem for me.

I let the panel know how this goes.

Rob Murphy
February 1, 2007 4:39:37 PM

Overclocking the *cheapest* dual core opteron is a good strategy if you want a 9 month or 1 year solution as a temporary way to update your 939. Then you could buy a new board, say in 9 months or a year, and get the latest type of motherboard for AMD or Intel, since both will have significant changes by then. AMD will have a big boost with the new barcelona type cpu, which is to outperform the C2duos. Also, note that you can overclock a X2 3800 ($145 Newegg) some, or even just run it stock, and it's decent performance.

{edit: but better than buying a cpu is to overclock for now, and build later this year, as in a post below}
February 1, 2007 4:51:05 PM

DON'T BUY THE FX 60

Get the 4800 an oc to 2.6 an beyond. Got mine at 2.74Ghz on the stock without increasing voltage much.

I heard you can't really oc the FX60 anyway, waste of money.

Go for the 4800 or one of the optys
February 1, 2007 5:10:30 PM

Instead of dropping money into a dead-end-socket-CPU. A better idea might be to grab a better cooler(either air or water) and OC your 3800x2 higher. Then when u upgrade down the road, u can reuse the cooler that you choose on the new socket.
February 1, 2007 5:11:37 PM

Quote:
Instead of dropping money into a dead-end-socket-CPU. A better idea might be to grab a better cooler(either air or water) and OC your 3800x2 higher. Then when u upgrade down the road, u can reuse the cooler that you choose on the new socket.
\

I second that suggestion. Good thinkin', reap!
February 1, 2007 5:13:41 PM

what is the difference between epteron dual core and FX60 dual core CPUs?

Quote:
It's listed in order from best Chip to lowest quality to highest.

-AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz
-AMD Opteron 185 Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz (best Overclocker @ ~3.2ghz)
February 1, 2007 5:16:00 PM

I hope he actually has a use for all these other ideas we're giving him... technically all he asked about was what processor is the best performing for 939, which was answered right away.
February 1, 2007 5:26:14 PM

Same Chip
Opteron is PREMIUM Quality CPU (But Locked Multiplier, made for 24/7 operation)
FX-60 is High Quality CPU(Unlocked Multiplier, made for short but sweet Runs for a few hours a day Over clocked or Base)
February 1, 2007 5:57:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, this is a good idea, with a plan to build later this year with a new motherboard.
February 1, 2007 6:00:17 PM

The best and fastest are the FX60 and the Opty 185 (only difference is FX60 has unlocked multiplier). They are not that cost effective now that the prices are going back up due to lack of inventory. A cost effective solution that can hit the same speeds (with some overclocking) would be this (I would not spend too much on this socket as the gains are not that much more):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The Opty 185 is still available for $335 if you must have it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

The FX60 in OEM form is $350 if you must have it:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Here is an interesting combo deal on a FX60 OEM and a 8800 GTS ($669):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
February 1, 2007 6:18:04 PM

Quote:
Yea wtf is with opty prices? Last night I think they were still priced about the same as they have been for about the past month or so. Now they have all jumped up big time. I mean come on a 170 opty for almost $300? That is nuts. Looks like my decision was made for me on my upgrade. Going AM2 it looks like since my budget will not allow core 2.

Who the hell knows? Maybe with the Opty being a popular server CPU and the word on the street that nothing new is coming out of AMD for the foreseeable future, (until the Paella tour of Catalonia) a bunch of IT managers are deciding to take the leap now. I know that theory is full of holes but it's the only one I can think of.

Quote:
I hope he actually has a use for all these other ideas we're giving him... technically all he asked about was what processor is the best performing for 939, which was answered right away.

I'm sure the OP will sift through all this wealth of knowledge and come up with the best solution that fits. :D 
February 1, 2007 6:40:33 PM

If you've already got an X2 3800+, there's no point in upgrading to any other 939 CPU. Right now you need nothing more than a little overclocking.
February 1, 2007 6:44:02 PM

Is your avatar Woodstock?

Watch out for the brown acid man... :lol: 
February 1, 2007 6:45:17 PM

Grab one of these and youll be good to go.
Or if your on a budget: The Mine
February 1, 2007 7:31:23 PM

Quote:
If you've already got an X2 3800+, there's no point in upgrading to any other 939 CPU. Right now you need nothing more than a little overclocking.

I agree........your current system is good.
February 1, 2007 7:41:54 PM

Hey bro I was in this status a week ago. I had a X2 3800 and upgraded to a operon 185. 3d06 benchmark for 3800 was a 5608. The opteron 185 was a 6328.

While looking on the net, I've see what intel can do, especially with a overclock. So I purchased a E6600. The benchmark was 10,040. 8O So yesterday I wanted to overclock it. Well I got it to a 3.2 and my new benchmark is a 11,200. :lol: 

Also with the overclock with my BFG 8800 GTX Canyon Flight 46.0 fps
and Deep Freeze 53.9

To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it. The E6600 cost me 331.00 at newegg.com Almost forgot to add that I have stock cooling and my temp is 55*c.
February 1, 2007 7:50:17 PM

Quote:
To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Intel chip is the way better. But the cost of it is more than just the chip. It's a new motherboard and new RAM. if you only have $300 to work with, then going to a new Intel solution just won't happen.
February 1, 2007 7:57:59 PM

Quote:
To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Intel chip is the way better. But the cost of it is more than just the chip. It's a new motherboard and new RAM. if you only have $300 to work with, then going to a new Intel solution just won't happen.

I havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this :roll:
BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL
perhaps, but this guy just wants to extend the life of his socket 939 hardware, which is still very competent of running EVERY program availible today.
February 1, 2007 7:58:11 PM

Well since we've discussed the price crap on newegg for 939 opterons here I thought I'd point out this development. 175 oem

Wonder how long it will last.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2007 8:20:19 PM

Quote:

perhaps overclock your current cpu more?

its still concidered decent ;) 
February 1, 2007 8:40:52 PM

Quote:
To put it simple, the intel chip is way better than AMD and plus you can overclock the piss out of it. The E6600 cost me 331.00 at newegg.com Almost forgot to add that I have stock cooling and my temp is 55*c.

I think that paragraph should be copied and pasted to anyone who is considering a pre-Barcelona AMD CPU. :D 
February 1, 2007 9:42:06 PM

Quote:

perhaps, but this guy just wants to extend the life of his socket 939 hardware, which is still very competent of running EVERY program availible today.[/quote]

Exactly, just buy the cheapest Opteron/decent ($30) aftermarket HSF and OC the shit out of it.

I purchased a 165 Opteron right after Christmas and with the stock HSF, it's dual-Prime 95 stable at 2.6ghz (up from 1.8ghz). 31*c idle and 48*c loaded with dual-Prime 95's. All for $153.99 (+ Arctice Silver 5).

I did DVD transcode with Shrink (I normally use CCE) at 1.8ghz it was a tick over 16 minutes. At 2.6ghz it was a tick over 12 minutes. A 25% increase in speed for FREE.

Just go for the cheapest. It's idiotic to spend more on the 939 platform.
February 1, 2007 9:57:01 PM

Quote:
havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL

Well, If you would have gotten here about 7-8 months go (before the release of Core Duo 2) then you would have gotten the reverse. Every budget Intel thread turns into AMD Rulz All, Cheaper, faster and half the heat of an Intel !

Right now, Intel is top dog again, so the raving pyshco enthusists in us all, tends to runs wild whenever someone talks about upgrading an AMD.

I fully understand his pain, as about 7 months ago I went through the same debate. I needed )well wanted) a PCI-e Mobo cause I wanted the new X1900XTX, but I didn't want to have to buy a new CPU and memory, along with a new Video card and Mobo. So I opted to stay with the 939, instead of the AM2. Sadly enough about 3 months later I upgrade to 2GB of memory (2x1GB) and then 2 months later bought the 4800+ to repalce my 3800+ clawhammer

Now I think, if I could have just waited on that dang video card, I could have me a new Core duo 2 system. I spent the same amount of money, just spread it out over 7 months.

I think if I was him, I'd old off spending anything until I could get a whole new rig. As I don't know that the money spent on even a 4800+ or Opty 185 will really pay out.
February 2, 2007 12:58:00 AM

Quote:

If he is just going to go 300.00 then he is just better off overclocking his current processor and saving money for a new system! You need to ask yourself one question. Am I going to extend a lot of life out of my system by just upgrading the processor, or is it more cost efficient to wait a couple of months and build a intel system? When I posted my benchmarks you can see how the intel kills my old AMD setup. When I upgraded from a X2 3800 to a Opteron 185 it wasn't a huge leap in performance, but going to the intel was. In my opinion if he is only going to spend 300.00 it is best to just save it and use his computer the way it is.
In the end it is up to him. I love toms hardware so many points of view!
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2007 1:49:21 AM

Quote:
I heard you can't really oc the FX60 anyway, waste of money.

You heard wrong, the multipliers unlocked on the FX60, as long as you can cool it, you can OC it, I had mine up to 3,018mhz, however I wouldn't reccommend it to anyone running an SLI configuration, there seems to be some trouble in SLI in some games.

In most available games on the market today the single core FX57 which is also multiplier unlocked will outperform the FX60 at the same OC, and the FX57 has no problems in SLI at all.

With all this dual core hype and not really any good software to run it the FX57 is my reccommendation to the OP, especially if he's running WinXP 32bit OP/SYS.
February 2, 2007 1:50:15 AM

Quote:

yeah i agree.
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2007 2:10:56 AM

Quote:

If you can find one slap an FX57 in that 939, you will never regret it, its the fastest single core processor on the planet, no patches or hot-fixes necessary, will run todays and tomorrows software, no matter what hype you're getting here.

Its multiplier unlocked!

Runs stock at 2.8G, with aircooling you can simply raise the multiplier from 14X to 15X taking her to 3.0G, with the stock AMD cooler.

Thats my reccommendation.
February 2, 2007 3:04:02 AM

Quote:

If he is just going to go 300.00 then he is just better off overclocking his current processor and saving money for a new system! You need to ask yourself one question. Am I going to extend a lot of life out of my system by just upgrading the processor, or is it more cost efficient to wait a couple of months and build a intel system? When I posted my benchmarks you can see how the intel kills my old AMD setup. When I upgraded from a X2 3800 to a Opteron 185 it wasn't a huge leap in performance, but going to the intel was. In my opinion if he is only going to spend 300.00 it is best to just save it and use his computer the way it is.
In the end it is up to him. I love toms hardware so many points of view!

It's more cost efficient to wait more than 2 months, until the superior AMD Barcelona comes out and then choose a system, AMD or Intel, best suited for his goals, when Intel has more serious competition.
February 2, 2007 6:47:10 AM

Quote:
I havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this :roll:
BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL

A couple of years back the situation would have been reversed. Let's face realities and make the statement that AMD is behind Intel in virtually every single aspect in the industry. It only makes sense to offer advice which points users in the right direction. It isn't Intel fanboyism. It's reality. That reality may change. Maybe Barcelona will come out and blow Penryn into the weeds. In that case, users will be advised to go AMD.

If someone came up to you and asked you "I wanna go F1 racing next year, and I can pick up the Ferrari that Massa drove last year or a 1978 Datsun" what would you advise? :lol: 
February 2, 2007 10:48:09 AM

If he said "I have 5k to buy some upgrades for my Honda Civic, what should i get?" Its not practical for everyone to jump on and say "Honda's suck, go buy an EVO."
I think its clear to everyone here that the Core 2 Duo E6300 is quicker than the AMD 3800x2, but thats the the question. The question in a nutshell is: "How can i prolong the life of my socket 939 platform casue i dont wana drop the cash for a new system right now."
February 2, 2007 4:51:27 PM

Since its relevant to earlier replies... the opteron pricing is back to normal on newegg... so i'm at a lose to what the point of that was, unless they were trying to get rid of some 185s by making them the cheapest... but thats just stupid... oh wait, we are talking about newegg after all :roll:
February 2, 2007 6:02:17 PM

Quote:
so i'm at a lose to what the point of that was, unless they were trying to get rid of some 185s by making them the cheapest...

Why doesn't anyone seem to think that it was just an Opps! on their part. It's not like the CEO is the one who types it in. Probably some pissed off college intern decided to do it or maybe he just hates AMD and screws up the pricing whenever he gets a chance.

Maybe it was just a simple typo or software glitch. Why rule out the most logical and likely explaination ?
February 2, 2007 6:54:33 PM

Which one of those was supposed to be most likely? And I don't see how an amd bashing intern doing it conflicts with the idea of newegg having some retards on their staff... as for a typo or software glitch, the prices weren't raised by a consistent percentage or fixed dollar amount over norm... as for it being part of some software that automatically raises prices on items a few dollars if the stock is running low... well i've seen no evidence newegg has anything like that (especially since the 185's price didn't budge at all but sold out hours after this change in pricing).... and i've spent my fair share of time watching price fluctuations on that site
February 2, 2007 8:18:14 PM

Quote:

That does it. I've been thinking about this for years, but now I'm gonna take the plunge.

Presenting:

CAPTAIN APRIL'S KVETCHING SERVICE.

When you're contemplating a major purchase, call Captain April first and save hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. Captain April will call upon his decades of experience in top-level negotiations and get you a much better price than you could ever get yourself. Even after the Captain collects his commission you will still be far ahead! So before you drop your hard earned cash on a major purchase, call the Captain: 1-800-4KVETCH! Do it today!

Oye Vey! What a display... of chutzpah :roll:

-mcg
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2007 3:06:59 AM

Quote:
I havent been at TOMS forum very long, but in my experience, why does every budget AMD tread turn into this
BUY INTEL IT PWNS ALL
perhaps, but this guy just wants to extend the life of his socket 939 hardware, which is still very competent of running EVERY program availible today.

Excellent! :D 
February 3, 2007 8:39:05 AM

Quote:
If he said "I have 5k to buy some upgrades for my Honda Civic, what should i get?" Its not practical for everyone to jump on and say "Honda's suck, go buy an EVO."
I think its clear to everyone here that the Core 2 Duo E6300 is quicker than the AMD 3800x2, but thats the the question. The question in a nutshell is: "How can i prolong the life of my socket 939 platform casue i dont wana drop the cash for a new system right now."

The question is valid and there have been quite a few excellent suggestions by various posters. The essence of my dispute is as follows: With a reasonable 775 motherboard running at $60 or so, why bother?

Quote:

Oye Vey! What a display... of chutzpah :roll:

Vooden? I always patshkie around. Most balebetishen Yidden think that I'm a fachadick meshugeneh shlemiel and my yutzi mouth gets me into tsuris. They're all shmendriks! They're hockin me a chinick!
!