CPU Temp problem with new build

bisan

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I just attempted my first build.

Ultra Microfly case
Intel E6700 CPU w/stock Heatsink
Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 mATX motherboard
2x1GB DDR2-667 Patriot Signature (1.8V, 5-5-5-15)
320GB Western Digital SE16 hard drive
I/O Magic DVD burner
SeaSonic S12-430W Power Supply

I have not tried to Overclock nor do I plan to for now.

After powering up the computer, it appeared my CPU fan did not want to start. It kind of stuttered on then off...on then off...then stopped. I turned off the computer and removed and reseated the CPU fan power connection.
I turned on the computer again and this time the fan started spinning.

I successfully made it into system BIOS, but found a problem. My CPU temperature started to climb very rapidly. It went past 60 degrees Celsius. I waited for a couple of minutes to see if it would stabilize but it seemed to keep climbing at reached 66 degrees Celsius.

I turned off the computer and did some searching on Toms Forum and found recent threads for new builders that seems to have the same problem as me.

Here are the links:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/temp-probs-build-ftopict221076.html

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/hot-hot-E6400-CPU-ftopict221346.html

It appears I too have not properly seated the Heatsink.

I plan to carefully inspect the Heatsink and Motherboard, and attempt to reseat it.

However, I also wonder if my fan rpm is normal. Even when temperatures were rising, it did not look to be spinning all that fast. What is typical CPU Fan RPM? Given the initial stuttering problem with CPU fan on the first power up, is there something wrong there?

In the other threads it was advised to get an aftermarket cooler. I probably will get one, but I wanted to ask to make sure that this is the problem.

Thanks in advance.

mpjesse

Splendid
First off, 66C isn't a horrible temp for a C2D. 2nd, you have a MicroATX case... what did you expect? The smaller the case the less the airflow. It gets hot... calm down.

You'll be fine. My only suggestion would be to buy some Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal paste.... that should lower temps about 3-7C.

bisan

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Thanks for your reply.

I am glad to hear that 66C temprature is not that bad.

What about the CPU Fan starting and stopping on the initial startup? Typical Fan RPM should be what at 66C?

The reason I was concerned was that this temprature rise occurred with the case completely open. I was powering on the system for just the second time and only went into the BIOS. (have not installed XP yet). It was on for only about 5 mins.

I will check Heatsink power on system and check BIOS again, but when is too hot?

Besides ordering online, where else can one get Thermal Paste?

mpjesse

Splendid
Depending on how your case is designed, having the cover on may actually cool things down. My case, for example, has a fan on the cover. Temps are a lot cooler when the side on than off.

CPU fan stopping and starting, i wouldn't worry. So long as it's spinning after start up you're fine. I dunno what the RPM should be at 66C. Probably close to full load though.

Too hot: >80C CPU throttling begins to kick in somewhere around 85C if I'm not mistaken. Best to keep temps lower than 70C though.