Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2007 6:30:25 PM

Quote:
ATi has finally provided some updates to their eagerly awaiting partners regarding the schedule of their upcoming DX10 cards. R600 will be launched in CeBIT but cards availability in April and we heard that the official name could be Radeon X2900. As for low-end R610 and mid range R630, they will be launched in April but availability in May.

What big tease...., no enough information...

Still better then nothing, and not from the inq =)

Talking about the inq(older article:link)

Quote:
Chip production is scheduled for February 2007 and we can confirmed that the final chips are about to see the face. Beta cards were wandering around the selected developers but those were DDR 3 while the final stuff has DDR4. Final launch with availability is March, I am convinced. µ

Who's right?

More about : r600 r610 r630 launch schedule availability

February 1, 2007 6:36:23 PM

I'm betting VR-Zone has a better bead on it. If this info is correct, then we're looking at a paper launch for the R600, no????
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2007 6:50:25 PM

yeah Vr is far more reliable. At least they have the decency to inform us it will be a paper lunch =). A firm availibility date is always welcome, still seams a bit late. I am glad I got my GTS before christmas! it will have served me well for at least 4 month =)
Related resources
February 1, 2007 7:06:14 PM

Alright... yet ANOTHER AMD/ATI paper launch. Those two companies deserve each other.
February 1, 2007 7:22:17 PM

True that, I just wish ATI would hurry up and put some pressure on Nvidia. I want to get a new card when I get a new mobo/CPU and the longer I have to wait is the less fun I can have OCing a new setup.
February 1, 2007 7:39:57 PM

April is probably right and I am definitely not suprised by this info. This yet another delay by AMD/ATI, but their not calling it that. How can you say you are launching a product in March, yet consumers can't even buy the product until April. Nvidia did the launch of G80 right, the same day they launch the product, consumers were able to order one on-line. I am so glad I didn't wait on this card.
February 1, 2007 7:43:41 PM

iawtc, I hate that ATI went for the AMD of "dont launch until you have volume"
February 1, 2007 7:49:26 PM

Does it really matter if its delayed? I decided months ago theres no point in bothering to go direct x10 till Crysis is out.... which is a quite a few months away.... by the time its necessary to get a good x10 card the market should be just right with price competition... I think the only reason people want R600 so soon is because we're benchmark junkies.
February 1, 2007 7:50:20 PM

Quote:
Nvidia did the launch of G80 right, the same day they launch the product, consumers were able to order one on-line. I am so glad I didn't wait on this card.

Yep... availability was immediate. nVidia's always been good about that. I think the FX series was the only paper launch... but i'm not sure.
February 1, 2007 7:58:08 PM

Quote:
yeah Vr is far more reliable. At least they have the decency to inform us it will be a paper lunch =). A firm availibility date is always welcome, still seams a bit late. I am glad I got my GTS before christmas! it will have served me well for at least 4 month =)

So are you gonna get an R600 anyway even though you just bought an 8800?
I dont think there will be hardly any performance gain, at least to justify that.
February 1, 2007 8:06:02 PM

Quote:
how friggen depressing,it was originally feb and march.

They are probably trying to finish the drivers and get their HDCP compliance approval. So maybe we should be blaming M$ and Vista and not ATI.
February 1, 2007 8:22:52 PM

On the otherhand, I heard Matrox was releasing the G1000 Dx10 card and Creative was releasing the Banshee Blaster DX10 card. Both cards are suspected to out perform the G80.

/wish
February 1, 2007 8:44:57 PM

That could be an interesting thought. Perhaps AMD/ATI had to shift their priorities and take a chance by delaying their major products so that they all release during the same quarter. Not only are they able to build up more stock to meet initial demand, but by flooding the market with a bunch of new stuff at once, they may have a chance to make quite a bit of return to not only dull the edge of C2D, but also reverse the whole stock plummet. If that's the case, then AMD/ATI are playing their cards carefully for the biggest hit. Of course, it may not make us happy for the mean time (because we all would love to see some benchmarks), but at least it ensures they stay in the market long enough to make another big blow. I think I'll watch this space closely...
February 1, 2007 9:13:39 PM

Quote:

They are probably trying to finish the drivers and get their HDCP compliance approval. So maybe we should be blaming M$ and Vista and not ATI.

I seriously doubt either of those things are holding up the R600. HDCP compliance is nothing... most of ATI's cards are already compliant. As for drivers, that's a possibility, but unlikely.

The problem is simple: ATI can't get their shite together. Probably because they were just bought and have to worry about other stupid things like new corporate policies and whatnot.

(been there done that)
February 1, 2007 9:43:33 PM

Quote:

I seriously doubt either of those things are holding up the R600. HDCP compliance is nothing... most of ATI's cards are already compliant. As for drivers, that's a possibility, but unlikely.

The problem is simple: ATI can't get their shite together. Probably because they were just bought and have to worry about other stupid things like new corporate policies and whatnot.

(been there done that)

From what I have been hearing they are not really HDCP compliant. If the drivers are not HDCP compliant then the cards aren't HDCP compliant. And I read somewhere that they had to rewrite 2 million lines of code, and Hollywood had to approve it in order to get HDCP approval. If you want links I can look them up for you.
February 1, 2007 9:47:38 PM

I take it BORG was taken?
February 1, 2007 9:54:13 PM

Quote:
I take it BORG was taken?

I'm not sure what you mean? M$ has decided to adopt the BORG credo.

Edit:
Oh, I get it zorg ... borg. No I put that in my sig after learning what M$ was doing with Vista DRM/HDCP.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2007 3:56:48 AM

Quote:

So are you gonna get an R600 anyway even though you just bought an 8800?
I dont think there will be hardly any performance gain, at least to justify that.

No I ment that it was a good idea to get my G80 because even if the R600 rocks, it won't matter because my card will have already have served me well for 4-5 month.
February 2, 2007 4:46:31 AM

Might be all sweet for Nvidia but they havent released a driver for Vista yet.
February 2, 2007 5:29:01 AM

Woohoo, fine by me, I'm away until June anyway, drivers should be nice and slick by then as well!