should i install vista?????????????

corpclegg

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
i got vista upgrade free with my computer. should i keep xp until dx10? i heard about drop in fps. i got a gf 8800 gts 575/1800. i was thinking about waiting. what do you guys think???

mpjesse

Splendid
please remove all those inspid question marks in the subject line.

yes, performance is lower in Vista than it is in XP. However, this is mostly a driver issue. if gaming performance is absolutely paramount to you, wait until the ForceWare drivers have matured (2 months maybe?)

but since the GTS and GTX are so powerful, the drop in performance probably isn't noticable in MOST games. the exception would be oblivion and other demanding games. games like Quake 4, Prey, HL2/Episode 1, FEAR, etc... you will not see a difference in performance because the average frame rates are still well above 60fps.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Actually, from the benches I've seen oblivion is one of the few games that currently performs better in vista at high settings... by about 2 fps.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
i got vista upgrade free with my computer. should i keep xp until dx10? i heard about drop in fps. i got a gf 8800 gts 575/1800. i was thinking about waiting. what do you guys think???

Check the links in my sig below and then decide.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
If you got it free you might as well do it... I did with my Dell laptop before they closed the site... There is a small learning curve and i strongly doubt that you will notice a difference in games...

~Cheers

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

Check the links in my sig below and then decide.

I am putting my $$ on the fact that this guy either:

A. Is just mad because mommy & daddy won't buy it for him
B. Did the exact same thing when win 95\98\XP came out.. go windows 3.1
C. Owns a MAC

But hey thats just me...
I hate the fact that MS owns everything but you know what... It's time to grow up... suck it up... and deal with it... Or you can continue to cry about it...

corpclegg

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
i was asking because i know some of you have vista. i keep hearing about drop in framerate. as far as mommy and daddy go, i wish i was still a kid at home. my question was legit. thanks for the responses.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Yes, do it. Do it now. You're less of a man if you don't. Because we all know a previous OS becomes useless the very second a new OS is released. :roll:

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
What for? There's no DX10 games out yet. Vista is a complete mess.
See the article on this very website:
http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/02/windows_vista_reader_feedback/

I personally won't upgrade (if we can call it that) to Vista until I see a real need. That said, I do have a morbid curiosity about it, you know like looking at gross stuff even though you don't really want to. You'll install it and then bitch about how you should never have done it, human nature.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I personally won't upgrade (if we can call it that) to Vista until I see a real need. That said, I do have a morbid curiosity about it, you know like looking at gross stuff even though you don't really want to. You'll install it and then bitch about how you should never have done it, human nature.

I've been using it for about 7 months and I can say it is a long over due tweak and alot of new security, but with that rewrite of the Kernel came alot of problems and incompatibilities. So yes, right now Vista does hinder some people, but it also helps alot of others. It is now more newb friendly than ever, and you can always revert the menus to XP style so you can actually find everything. Personally I think UAC is a brilliant idea for the newb crowd, or if you are on a scandalous website you could save yourself alot of grief, but you know you take the good with the bad. Yes there are alot of driver issues, but those can be fixed with some rewrites of minor drivers and will not take a giant service pack.

In the end my recommendation to the OP is this: Get the upgrade but don't install it unless you are ready to deal with some headaches. If you chose not to install it, save it until SP1 hits then install it with that. In either case, the world will move to Vista just like the world moved to XP (Damn people bitched about that too) just because M$ owns the OS world at the end consumer level and most of the corporate OS's. So it's best to do your due diligence on what you use and its standing compatibility with Vista and go from there.

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006

yes, performance is lower in Vista than it is in XP. However, this is mostly a driver issue. if gaming performance is absolutely paramount to you, wait until the ForceWare drivers have matured (2 months maybe?)

but since the GTS and GTX are so powerful, the drop in performance probably isn't noticable in MOST games. the exception would be oblivion and other demanding games. games like Quake 4, Prey, HL2/Episode 1, FEAR, etc... you will not see a difference in performance because the average frame rates are still well above 60fps.

I can tell you that I have the 8800GTX and the Nforce 680 chipset mainboard (Striker Extreme)

All the games are running worse in Vista with the beta-drivers from Nvidia...
In WinXP.. I always set these games at res. 1600x1200 with everything maxed out... and it runs great there... only in Oblivion I set it @ High detail instead of Ultra high because that game is too heavy even for my configuration..

My experience with games in vista (res. 1600x1200, all maxed out.. except Oblivion):
Oblivion: Almost unplayable
Quake 4: Crashes during loading (single player game)
Doom 3: Runs ok, but not as good as in WinXP (it's noticable)
F.E.A.R.: Runs when walking indoor area but absolutely runs like shit when entering outdoor locations....
Call of Duty 2: I got a white screen when starting a game... I hear the sound but no picture..

So you can say You'd better stick with WinXP when playing at the highest resolutions with the highest settings... but when playing with lower settings and res.. It will work fine woth Vista I quess...

killersnowman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
im dual booting XP and Vista and its nice to be able to familiarize myself with vista and yet to still game in XP. not bad. just dont get rid of xp. run both os's

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
im dual booting XP and Vista and its nice to be able to familiarize myself with vista and yet to still game in XP. not bad. just dont get rid of xp. run both os's

Yeah I'm glad I did that... I will get rid of XP when the Nvidia drivers are working fine.. I hope that will be soon... because, besides the driver problems, Vista is a great OS!

0p3n

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Well my friends and I have no problem with it and like it quite a bit. So go for it but I would dual boot it with Win XP.

killersnowman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006

Yeah I'm glad I did that... I will get rid of XP when the Nvidia drivers are working fine.. I hope that will be soon... because, besides the driver problems, Vista is a great OS!

it really is. i find it to be more responsive than xp and faster to start as well. very cool

Wishjuh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006

I can tell you that I have the 8800GTX and the Nforce 680 chipset mainboard (Striker Extreme)

All the games are running worse in Vista with the beta-drivers from Nvidia...
In WinXP.. I always set these games at res. 1600x1200 with everything maxed out... and it runs great there... only in Oblivion I set it @ High detail instead of Ultra high because that game is too heavy even for my configuration..

My experience with games in vista (res. 1600x1200, all maxed out.. except Oblivion):
Oblivion: Almost unplayable
Quake 4: Crashes during loading (single player game)
Doom 3: Runs ok, but not as good as in WinXP (it's noticable)
F.E.A.R.: Runs when walking indoor area but absolutely runs like **** when entering outdoor locations....
Call of Duty 2: I got a white screen when starting a game... I hear the sound but no picture..

So you can say You'd better stick with WinXP when playing at the highest resolutions with the highest settings... but when playing with lower settings and res.. It will work fine woth Vista I quess...

Ok.. I have to be honest here... It turned out that I had the wrong Nvidia driver version installed (100.54).. I now installed the newest Beta driver (100.59) and the games written above work fine now... I almost see no difference with XP... Quake 4 now works... but there I can see that the game runs a little bit slower... So even with the beta-drivers.. gaming in vista isn't that bad :) So sorry for the wrong info :)

chrisgcy

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
hmmmm....

Oblivion ran fine after installing 100.59 driver for 8800gtx..

But call of duty 2 still have white screen problems(only sounds are heard)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Personally, I'll keep dual booting (on seperate drives) until a few legacy driver issues get sorted. After that I'll use Vista as my primary OS, but I'll keep XP on its drive for about a year. If I don't have to plug that drive back in, then I'll wipe it for future use.

My 2p.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

Finally we are going to install Vista anyway.I got 95 , 98 and ME right away but its the first time i dont really see an immediate need for Vista.But anyway MS is pushing Vista more than anything else they have produced so although XP is what the majority of us still have support for it is going to decline real fast.Everyone is talking about Vista drivers like everyone has Vista!
Also have in mind that most people that have Vista with a new PC are the ones that will most likely arent going to notice a difference if they had XP as well.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

NO!

Simple sweet story.

I had a spare HDD i wasn't using, i too got a free copy of Vista, i had it 5days before Vista officially launched. Yes i had a legit version, have the disc and packaging to prove it. But anywho, installed fairly quick, loaded up all the Vista drivers for my hardware. Now i didn't Validate my install of Vista because i wanted to see how everything ran first. So i loaded up Photoshop, the latest Nero, Icechat (IRC client), AIM Lite (LAIM to some) Dreamweaver, Flash Pro 8, Office 2003, Premiere Pro 1.5, Civilization 4, and a few other games. So 10days go by with Vista installed, i had to do a restart, because Vista locked up on me overnight when i slept. So i restarted my system, only to learn i couldn't login in to Windows until i validated my install. So i was like ok all my software works fine i'll keep it installed, click the Validate link, took me to the Genuine Windows Validation page, where it was unable to validate my install because i was running Vista unsupported software. And because i was locked out from logging in i couldn't uninstall said software to validate my Windows. Thus i was angered and swapped my XP HDD back in and wiped out my Vista install until drivers are better, Service Pack 1 and my software gets wrote for it.

Thats my 10day lesson with Vista

Not a terrible OS, just a typical Microsoft product. "Build now, fix later"