Sttttttuttteeerriing(from heat?)

Psycho4

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I have a x1950xt and when i start a game its fine but once it starts getting longer into the game it starts to suffer in perofrmance wise. Even in ATI tools i run the 3d view for 1 minute and it reaches 90 degrees and i close it before it does any damage is it the heat?

leo2kp

Distinguished
Could be, but you could also be running out of memory. What game are you playing and how much RAM (video too) do you have? Oblivion will use over 300mb RAM, so after a while the game will seem to lose performance unless you have a 512mb card.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
To test if there is a thermal condition with your video card - underclock it by half, and see if it has the same issues. All things being equal, if your problem goes away by underclocking the video card, then that is likely where your problem is. It might need to be RMAd.

Good Luck.

Psycho4

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I have 1 gig in the computer and the card comes with 256.

Overclocking and underclocking is something iv never done and im afraid to do :/ and if i underclock it most likely the temps will lower cause it doesnt have such a high demand i would think.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
how fast should i set it? what temps should it change?
Its all up to you. If you want to cool it to the max and you dont care about noise level then set it at 100%. I personaly would set it around 70% it will yield nice temps drops with understandfull noise level. I had my x1900xtx set at 70% all the time. You can also set it to auto like when the card reaches 70C it will jump start to ex. 80% fan speed.. etc.