Shin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2004

I've never played Neverwinter but I remember hearing lots of good things
about it. I have recently found the platinum pack (original and both
expansions) for $30. I basically want to know if it's worth it. Is
there still a strong community for it and multiplayer? But most
importantly, how is the single player and is it comparable to Morrowind?
Thanks in advance for input.

Morrowind is completely different from NeverWinter Nights in many ways.
First and foremost is the First or Third Person rendering in Morrowind is
not in NWN. Personally being a avid D&D player for years i like the
structure that NWN, for the most part uses, meaning NWN is somewhat based on
D&D 3rd Edition ruleset. Morrowind does not have such structure, it's alot
less linear than NWN but for the most part the fantasy is not based remotely
close to that of NWN. You can pick up a few novels that have quite a few
characters introduced to PC Gaming by Bioware in Baldur's Gate Series and
Icewind Dale and NWN. Which also fleshes out the background of the entire
realm it introduces you to quite well. Morrowind being a single-player game,
pretty much destroys any replayability. NWN has single player, thats very
well supported by the dev's and the community. The Multiplayer aspect of NWN
on the other hand takes the genre to new level. Peristant World servers,
quite well may have changed CRPGMMOG, since it's not pay to play and ANYONE
can host a server. I've been quite impressed with the group that's doin the
'A Land Far Away' Persistant World. Which also allows for server-travel, the
MP alone can keep NWN going for quite some time. I was one of the early
adopters, i picked up NWN when it was first released, set me back sum 40
bones, then each addon as they were released. So gettin the Platinum Edition
for 30~40 bones is a helluva steal, for such a great game!

...Syn...

Shin wrote:
> I've never played Neverwinter but I remember hearing lots of good things
> about it. I have recently found the platinum pack (original and both
> expansions) for $30. I basically want to know if it's worth it. Is
> there still a strong community for it and multiplayer? But most
> importantly, how is the single player and is it comparable to Morrowind?
> Thanks in advance for input.

I would definitely recommend it, but try not to think about a game like
Morrowing when you play it, because there isn't much of a comparison,
other than they are both RPGs. I still think Morrowind was the best game
I've played, but NWN is amazing, and I'm discovering all the user-made
mods (finally), and I haven't even begun to play online yet. In fact, I
still have HotU to play!

Anyway, if you like RPGs at all, it's more than worth it. It's such an
'experience' to be involved with the game.

P.S. To the poster who said the single-player aspect of Morrowind
"destroys" replayability, that's crazy. There are hundreds of things to
do in the game that you can easily play again as a different class and
do something very different.

i have tried to play it again as a different class, it's exactly the same
thing over and over. NWN's user created modules, whether they are single
player or mp, quite leaves morrowinds stale world, in the fantasy dust.

...Syn...

Visceral_Syn wrote:
> i have tried to play it again as a different class, it's exactly the same
> thing over and over. NWN's user created modules, whether they are single
> player or mp, quite leaves morrowinds stale world, in the fantasy dust.

Yeah, but that's not a fair comparison. Of course the fact that NWN has
unending modules to play makes it 'replayable,' but the *real*
comparison would be how replayable is the main campaign for NWN. Replay
that as any class and it's still the same fairly linear game. With
Morrowind, you can go anywhere and do anything immediately at the start.

Very strong community support - thousands of d/ls available.

Much better than Morrowind - I am still playing NWN but returned
Morrowind after 2 days as I founs it boring.

Kharsis

Shin wrote:
> I've never played Neverwinter but I remember hearing lots of good things
> about it. I have recently found the platinum pack (original and both
> expansions) for $30. I basically want to know if it's worth it. Is
> there still a strong community for it and multiplayer? But most
> importantly, how is the single player and is it comparable to Morrowind?
> Thanks in advance for input.

the user created content is part of NWN. It was purposely made so users
could create and take it well beyond what the devs dreamed. Thats part of
the game not just, go anywhere, wandering aimlessly starin at giant
mushrooms. Which in turn makes it quite a fair comparison, tis not my fault
Bethesda dinna look that far into the future, Morrowind does have sum great
user created content, but not anywhere near the level NWN does.

...Syn...

Visceral_Syn wrote:
> the user created content is part of NWN. It was purposely made so users
> could create and take it well beyond what the devs dreamed. Thats part of
> the game not just, go anywhere, wandering aimlessly starin at giant
> mushrooms. Which in turn makes it quite a fair comparison, tis not my fault
> Bethesda dinna look that far into the future, Morrowind does have sum great
> user created content, but not anywhere near the level NWN does.
>
> ...Syn...

Sorry, it's just not a valid comparison, IMO. Morrowind does have a lot
of user created content, if that's what you consider replay value, but
again it's not in the form of modules so the comparison isn't quite fair.

Howso, the user created content is created with the exact same toolset
Bioware used to make all of the modules for the game itself. which can make
quite a completely different off the wall module, hence those who use the
Aurora engine for say, Lord of the Rings modules. D&D is built that, to
allow DM's to adjust their worlds to build their own worlds. Morrowinds
toolset prolly does allow you to add quests and items and things of that
nature but it just does allow for complete and utter world manipulation, or
i dinna look at the toolset long enuff to see if that is a capability. That
"feature" in itself is what puts NWN a notch ahead of Morrowind. I won't
even go into the structure D&D rules alone give NWN. You say it's not
comparable, yer right....Morrowind is not comparable to NWN. NWN is quite a
much better product. Which allows for replay, and not replay of the same
stuff.

...Syn...

Yada...yada...yada...

Morrowind and NWN are completely different games. They may share the
same genre (RPG); but, they are no more alike than Age of Mythology is
like Warlords IV--other than they are both strategy games. They have
different rulesets, different guiding philosophies and different
choices. The "which is better" debate has been playing for two years;
and will never be settled. It also doesn't really address the actual
subject of this thread, which is "Is it [NWN] worth it [purchasing]?"

I believe both of you have answered "Yes" to that question, so that
should settle that. Eh? :)
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

ok you, win...but it was fun arguing with John over it...*sniff-sniff* a
good debate gone...

Visceral_Syn wrote:

> comparable, yer right....Morrowind is not comparable to NWN. NWN is quite a
> much better product. Which allows for replay, and not replay of the same
> stuff.

ok, barry is right, so we'll stop, but i just have to say this in
response to the above quoted part: by definition, 'replay' means to play
something *again*, meaning it's been played before, so it doesn't seem
fair to say that the reason NWN is replayable is because of all the new
and different content/modules out there...that definitely gives it a
longer life span, but not really 'replayability'...

ah well, morrowind is excellent, and NWN is excellent... :)