Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
eVGA 680i motherboard
2 x 1GB Cosair DDR2 800 PC2 6400
2 x 250GB Western Digital SATA II HDDs
ATI X800 XT 256MB PCIe (From my old PC)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (From my old PC)
Thermaltake 850W Toughpower PSU
Thermaltake Armor Series Full Tower

I recently built this, got it up and running perfectly fine. Ran it for about a week, running the CPU at 100% for a few hours every day. Then, decided to overclock from 2.4 to 3.0.

It ran fine for a bit then I started getting memory controller errors, it wouldn't boot, and it would randomly shut off. Eventually it only booted once every 10+ tries. After resetting the clock speeds, it finally booted, barely. I got an RMA on the motherboard and just installed it today.

I just restarted and got one of the same problems I had before. The windows logo screen was really distorted and the colors were really messed up, but it did boot. Because it eventually got worse with the old motherboard, I'm assuming I am going to be getting the same problems again.

The CPU and case temps are perfectly fine. Running in the 30 degree range. I just don't know what else other than a motherboard can cause memory controller errors, failed boots, and random shutoffs. I wouldn't expect it to be the PSU, but I really have no clue. I'm at a total loss. Right now, this second, it's working perfectly fine. It's tempermental...Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, right now I'm running at 3.0GHZ (1334 FSB) and 1067MHz 5-5-5-12 mem.
February 2, 2007 2:54:11 AM

Check the voltage to the RAM. RAM can be pretty picky.
February 2, 2007 4:30:19 AM

Quote:
I just built a new PC. The specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
eVGA 680i motherboard
2 x 1GB Cosair DDR2 800 PC2 6400
2 x 250GB Western Digital SATA II HDDs
ATI X800 XT 256MB PCIe (From my old PC)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (From my old PC)
Thermaltake 850W Toughpower PSU
Thermaltake Armor Series Full Tower

I recently built this, got it up and running perfectly fine. Ran it for about a week, running the CPU at 100% for a few hours every day. Then, decided to overclock from 2.4 to 3.0.

It ran fine for a bit then I started getting memory controller errors, it wouldn't boot, and it would randomly shut off. Eventually it only booted once every 10+ tries. After resetting the clock speeds, it finally booted, barely. I got an RMA on the motherboard and just installed it today.

I just restarted and got one of the same problems I had before. The windows logo screen was really distorted and the colors were really messed up, but it did boot. Because it eventually got worse with the old motherboard, I'm assuming I am going to be getting the same problems again.

The CPU and case temps are perfectly fine. Running in the 30 degree range. I just don't know what else other than a motherboard can cause memory controller errors, failed boots, and random shutoffs. I wouldn't expect it to be the PSU, but I really have no clue. I'm at a total loss. Right now, this second, it's working perfectly fine. It's tempermental...Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, right now I'm running at 3.0GHZ (1334 FSB) and 1067MHz 5-5-5-12 mem.

Download memtest86(free) and run a memory test. If you get errors, remove one stick, rerun the test. Then switch sticks and rerun the test. If one fails and one passes, you've got a bad stick.

Did you switch the memory to cpu divider to 1:1 ratio? Try 400 mhz clock , 1:1 memory ratio and kick the multiplier down to 8X. that'll give you 3.2 ghz, as well as an improved memory bandwidth, while keeping the memory at a stock 800(400 mhz). I did up the MCH voltage .15v and the southbridge up .1v. That's on a P965 mobo, so it might not work for you. Keep the PCI-E at 100 mhz. I think I bumped the CPU voltage up .05v for 3.2 ghz.
February 2, 2007 7:37:58 AM

I will run memtest as soon as I get home this afternoon. Also, if I set my memory ratio to 1:1 the mem runs at the speed of the FSB (1334 Mhz) So, I can manually set it to 800, but I can't do a ratio to the bus.

My motherboard wants to give the memory 1.85v auto, should I manually change it to 2.1v?

And I had another problem last night which makes things wierder, at least in my opinion. My computer randomly shut down while I was working, but it didn't 'shut down'. Everything was still perfectly lit up and running, but it make that power down sound and the screen went away and it was non-responsive. When I booted back up, the Cmos chksum wouldn't work and the BIOS was resetting every time I booted. When I went into the BIOS, the CPU Freq showed up at 0mhz and the mutiplier was 0. After fiddling with the settings and rebooting a few times, it actually worked.
!