Running Very Slow

Hi,

I am using Windows XP Home edition. I updated SP2 and other dialy updates
from Automatic Update wizard, once i updated, my system became very slow, can
you help me out?

Is there anything i need to after updating? I changed the Page file Size for
C Drive 800MB-1600MB.

One more thing is, when ever i am updateing my system with latest updates
from Microsoft, some folder are creating automatically in C:\WINDOWS folder,
what are those folders?

Please Advice me.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about running slow

    Please see: http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2installed

    "Suneel" <Suneel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Home edition. I updated SP2 and other dialy updates
    > from Automatic Update wizard, once i updated, my system became very slow,
    > can
    > you help me out?
    >
    > Is there anything i need to after updating? I changed the Page file Size
    > for
    > C Drive 800MB-1600MB.
    >
    > One more thing is, when ever i am updateing my system with latest updates
    > from Microsoft, some folder are creating automatically in C:\WINDOWS
    > folder,
    > what are those folders?
    >
    > Please Advice me.
    >
    > Thanks

    Suneel <Suneel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am using Windows XP Home edition. I updated SP2 and other dialy updates
    >from Automatic Update wizard, once i updated, my system became very slow, can
    >you help me out?

    This may help: "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in
    Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560).

    >One more thing is, when ever i am updateing my system with latest updates
    >from Microsoft, some folder are creating automatically in C:\WINDOWS folder,
    >what are those folders?

    They contain the uninstall info for the updates. Leave them alone for
    a while, if then still all runs well, you can delete them:
    1. Open the Explorer and navigate to the WINDOWS folder. Find the
    folders named $NTUNINSTALLKBxxxxxx$ (sometimes KB is replaced by Q in
    the name). Delete the folders for the patches which you do no longer
    need. The x stand for the patch number.
    2. Delete the KBxxxxxx.LOG and Qxxxxxx.LOG files with the same number
    from the WINDOWS folder as well.
    3. In the Control Panel > Add and remove Programs double-click the
    uninstall entries for the same patches and let Windows remove the
    entries.

    --
    (tm)

    Suneel

    What processor speed? What RAM memory?

    What anti-virus programme? What anti-spyware programme? What firewall?

    Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
    combination of factors. Listed
    below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing
    poor performance after
    the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting
    of Windows XP but the
    list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the
    list until you achieve an
    acceptable result.
    Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how
    often you do it will depend
    on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
    1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
    Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore
    ( more Options tab )
    and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
    partition you may
    need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
    4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General,
    Delete Cookies.
    5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
    visited is retained. Start,
    Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.
    Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites. If Spyware
    persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html
    Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over
    reliance on virtual memory,
    may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an
    earlier version of Windows.
    Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256
    MB is
    recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on
    pagefile (virtual
    memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where
    your pagefile is located.
    You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

    Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative
    Tools, Services, Indexing
    Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running.
    More information here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service
    You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
    programmes/windows after
    use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started
    are really necessary.
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
    Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular
    programme. Look in Google to
    see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a
    solution.
    http://groups.google.com/
    Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event
    Viewer by selecting Start,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of
    the error, information
    regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Suneel" <Suneel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Home edition. I updated SP2 and other dialy
    > updates
    > from Automatic Update wizard, once i updated, my system became very
    > slow, can
    > you help me out?
    >
    > Is there anything i need to after updating? I changed the Page file
    > Size for
    > C Drive 800MB-1600MB.
    >
    > One more thing is, when ever i am updateing my system with latest
    > updates
    > from Microsoft, some folder are creating automatically in C:\WINDOWS
    > folder,
    > what are those folders?
    >
    > Please Advice me.
    >
    > Thanks

    "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
    This is a very good summary of potential problems, but there is something
    else going on in SP2:
    On launching 32 bit Apps by double click in a Windows Explorer window the
    system freezes for up to 15 seconds !!!
    It does not happen with 16-bit oldies like notepad and paint.
    So it must be related to the launch mechanism.
    Diagnosis: there is no network traffic during that time (no spyware
    problem). The CPU is idle during that time. No suspicious process in my list
    (I know all my processes).
    It seems like a hang in some resource wait or mutex wait, which times out
    after some seconds.
    It seems like an old bug from Windows 2000 got re-introduced. Because there
    I had the same problem some years ago and it got fixed by some patch. MS
    support unfortunately does not seem to understand how serious this is. They
    are not even responding to my reported case
    "SRZ050218002560". Perhaps millions of user are reporting the same problem ???

Microsoft Windows XP