rfrasier

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Okay, I am really hoping someone can help me here....
I am building a computer for the first time. I currently have a Dell Dimension 8400.
The new parts are:
Antec 900 ATX Case
550w PSU
GeForce 8800GTX (This is in the Dell but it's new)
WD 150Gig 7200rpm HD
Samsung DVD/CR-RW
Samsung DVD-RW

The parts from the Dell I tried to use were:
Intel 3.4Gig CPU
2 Gig DDR2 800 Ram
Dell 2005FPW LCD Monitor

Okay, I put everything into the new case. All the cables got plugged in and everything looks great. Push the power on button...all the fans fire up (Antec 900 has 4 fans) and the LEDs light up. One problem...no picture on the monitor. Not even a "No Signal" message. I have checked and double checked the seating of the 8800 card to the MoBo and I know it is getting power cause the card fan comes on. I know this sounds dumb, but is it possible that a Dell LCD monitor will not work with anything other than a Dell? Please help!!!! :x

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I know this sounds dumb, but is it possible that a Dell LCD monitor will not work with anything other than a Dell? Please help!!!! :x

Nope ive seen plenty of people using dell monitors all on sorts of machines, even macs.

My guess is that the PSU cant provide enough power for the system, what kind is it? And what kind of mobo do you have? that could be the problem as well.

rfrasier

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
The mobo is:
ASUS P5B-E LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX

The PSU is:
Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL

Is it possible that the MoBo is messed up? It's getting power (the LED on the board is illuminated). The strange thing is that I don't get anything from the monitor...it just powers itself down without displaying anything. I'm almost to the point of regreting buying the GeForce 8800 (it's the reason behind all of this because it gets too hot in the Dell case).

patriot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Try and get the system to boot up with 1 stick of ram. try it in all the slots. if it doesnt work still, try the other stick of ram you have in all the slots. again, one by one.

If you have spare ram that you know works (ie from another system) try it in this system. again, 1 stick at a time and all the slots.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
$50 PSU and a $500 video card. Huh.

The psu has just enough power for your system, as soon as you get the chance i would get a new one, crappy brand and barley enough power = something very bad happening to your pc in the near future. Although i dont think its the problem in this case. Can you try a different video card? Im thinking the 8800gtx might be defective.

robmurphy

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
If you have another video card that will fit try that. Maybe the Dell had a video card that you could use. You also may be able to borrow an old PCI video card and try that.

Another thing to check is that the additional P4 power lead to the motherboard is connected, I made that mistake last night. The additional power lead has 4 pins as best as I remember. Without this the fans will come on but the machine will not boot, and you will have no signal on the monitor.

Hope that helps

Rob Murphy

patriot

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
first of all, dell monitors work on all systems. dell dont make monitors. they buy normal monitors and rebrand them. you could however test the monitor on a known good system to see if it's faulty. But I doubt it's the problem. Seriously, do the ram trouble shooting. it's easy to do and I had a problem like that before where the ram was the cause.

rfrasier

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
patriot - the RAM I am using is the same RAM in the Dell. I'll try doing them one at a time though.

mkaibear - I'll see if I can barrow one from someone to see if it helps.

apt403 - What would be your recommendation for a PSU? That same PSU works fine on the Dell (I'm scavanging it too). The 8800 is the same card I'm using in the Dell with no problem (other than cooling). Under load it gets up to around 73 degrees.

robmurphy - Yeah, I checked that all the power leads to the MoBo were hooked up (the main 24 pin and the additional 4 pin). Once again, the PSU runs the Dell fine.

patriot - I'm gonna try the RAM thing. Just strange since all the RAM sticks work on the Dell. Just very frustrated. I'm seriously wondering if the new MoBo isn't defective. Is there any "home way" to test that or do I need to take it back?

rfrasier

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Antec NeoHE 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 100Vac to 240Vac +/- 10% UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick

Would this be a good PSU instead of the Rosewill? It's only $99.99 from newegg. Are there any known problems with this and ASUS MoBos?

fsalazar90

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Before you waste your money, MAKE SURE you try plugging the monitor to your card's VGA slot using a VGA cable or DVI-VGA adapter and see if your monitor gets a any signal.

Something very similar happened to me.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Antecs are not the most reliable any longer. As said above you have some pretty high dollare stuff there and you have put it all in the hands of a $49.99 PSU. Plan on spending around $150 for a PSU for that rig. Get a good one and if you plan on getting a second vid card then plan on spending $200 on a PSU. I can recommend this unit http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S61EPS for your present rig. FSP/Fortron, Tagan, Silverstone, Seasonic are other trustworthy manufacturers

rfrasier

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
merc14 - Thanks. I'll look into that one. So, is it realistic that my current PSU can power the Dell with the 8800 but can not power the same stuff on the ASUS board?

Tagan TG600-U35 ATX12V/EPS12V 600W
This a pretty reliable unit?

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
That Silverstone is a very good unit, I'm a PC P&C fanboy so always default to them. :roll: :D , and should power that setup fine. I have no idea if the Rosewill is the cause or not. As said above I don't think you will ever get a stable rig with a $49 PSU. Have you tried resetting The CMOS/BIOS by unplugging the PC from the wall, pulling the battery and moving the jumper on the clrtc pins around?

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
IMHO, I doubt the problem is your PSU. The mobo may be incompatible with the ram or it may be faulty.

I understand and agree with what most of the other responders to your problem are saying but I doubt that your current PSU would work in the dell (unless it is a dell specific PSU...then ya got problems) and then not give you at least a POST on the new mobo.

I would pull the mobo from the case, remove the CPU and check the socket for pin damage, if none found, assemble the mobo outside of the case with just CPU, ram and vid card. You don't need to have any drives hooked up to get into BIOS.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I agree with Blunc. The system should boot, at least into BIOS, with that PSU. Do at least the Clear CMOS/BIOS step in that guide but I'd do the whole barebones setup thing. It only takes about 15 minutes.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Okay, I am really hoping someone can help me here....
I am building a computer for the first time. I currently have a Dell Dimension 8400.
The new parts are:
Antec 900 ATX Case
550w PSU
GeForce 8800GTX (This is in the Dell but it's new)
WD 150Gig 7200rpm HD
Samsung DVD/CR-RW
Samsung DVD-RW

The parts from the Dell I tried to use were:
Intel 3.4Gig CPU
2 Gig DDR2 800 Ram
Dell 2005FPW LCD Monitor

Okay, I put everything into the new case. All the cables got plugged in and everything looks great. Push the power on button...all the fans fire up (Antec 900 has 4 fans) and the LEDs light up. One problem...no picture on the monitor. Not even a "No Signal" message. I have checked and double checked the seating of the 8800 card to the MoBo and I know it is getting power cause the card fan comes on. I know this sounds dumb, but is it possible that a Dell LCD monitor will not work with anything other than a Dell? Please help!!!! :x

Sounds to me like a monitor fault actually. Is the light on on the power button of the monitor? If so is it orange or green?

rfrasier

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Niz - it goes yellow about 5 seconds after I turn on the power to the CPU. Like I said earlier...the monitor works fine on the Dell.

merc14/Blunc - I'll try the barebones setup and CMOS/BIOS clear and see if that does anything. Know the RAM is from the Dell so I don't know that it may be faulty. I looked at the MoBo (pins) real close and didn't see any obvious dmage.

Once again, to all of you, thanks for the help. Just hope I can sort this issue out.

mongoose88

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Actually it could be the power supply. I know that Dell in the past has had their Motherboards and Powersupplies manufactured with a different Pinout. I think its to keep people from swapping out non Dell parts for return or warranty exchange.

I would try another power supply, just like others have suggested you may be forced to simply swap out one component at a time with known good parts to solve the puzzle.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
So, is it realistic that my current PSU can power the Dell with the 8800 but can not power the same stuff on the ASUS board?
Yes. Dell desktops usually use mATX motherboards that consume less power than standard ATX.