Sign in with
Your question

Bad computer temperatures?

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2007 12:10:11 AM

I just built a new computer. Nothing is overclocked. These are my specs below. How am I doing with temperatures? Are these average or am I risking burning something up?

Computer stats:
eVGA 680i Mobo
2GB of Corsair CM2X1024-6400 DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1volts
2 SLI Geforce 7600 GT OC graphics cards 256MB
16MB cache 320GB HD 7200RPM
Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo processor
700w Xtreme Gamer OCZ power supply

Here are my average temperatures after sitting for 1 hour average desktop / internet application use:

CPU: 52º C
SYSTEM: 35º C
GPU1: 55º C
GPU2: 49º C

Are these average or am I risking burning something up?
February 2, 2007 9:32:54 AM

OK Im not sure this is so good. I downloaded the Intel Thermal Analysis Tech tool which shows the temps for both processors. I put them both at the same time under 100% load and it was reaching temperatures up to 67º C. Is that high? I think I will look into getting a very nice heat sink and fan.
Related resources
November 29, 2007 11:41:16 PM

Ah ok so you did run TAT. Well TAT is about as much load as you can put on a CPU, and ~65C is not uncommon. I'd try reseating the heatsink, making sure to replace the thermal grease. It needs to be pretty tightly stuck on the CPU to get good contact.
November 30, 2007 12:41:14 AM

those arnt temperatures to worry about... but the idle cpu temp is a bit high.
November 30, 2007 1:37:39 AM

C'mon guys, :pt1cable:  it's no longer necessary to wonder, suppose, presume, surmise, theorize, infer, deduce, guess, hypothesize, ponder, conjecture, assume, postulate or speculate... :wahoo: 

Temperatures can now be uniformly tested, accurately calibrated, and properly monitored, so here it is again: :ouch: 

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Comp :sol: 
November 30, 2007 1:41:53 AM

Sorry some of us live in the glorious AMD past [/thunderbird]

EDIT: Wow that thing is becoming a book! Imagine reading it without logging in :heink: 
November 30, 2007 1:55:43 AM

Yes, randomizer, I can appreciate what you're saying. Every time I edit the Guide, it becomes increasingly difficult to achieve a balance between simplicity and explanation, brevity and detail, while addressing high profile questions for enthusiasts without ignoring simple concerns for n00bs. Please feel free to offer any suggestions.

November 30, 2007 2:00:11 AM

Ok, my only suggestion for the moment is that THG should remove the crazy width restriction when you don't log in, guests to the forum are gonna be scrolling for 5 minutes to get to the bottom of your guide because of it.

I think it's time I read the guide again, since I may be getting a C2D soon.

EDIT: Why not stick a link to it in your sig?
November 30, 2007 2:11:51 AM

Actually it's a shame you can't use HTML code here. If you could, you could use the table of contents as links to the different parts of the article so you didn't have to scroll and find them.
November 30, 2007 2:17:39 AM

Yes, I agree. Also, the advertisements and popups have gone well beyond annoying, and are way over the top, especially when users are not logged on. I've considered placing a link in my sig many times, but many users won't make an extra click to help themselves unless I explain the benefits, so I continue to post links to the Guide in threads.

I'd like to see Tom's place a master index of all the Sticky's on a single page which must be viewed prior to creating a "New Topic" so that we would see less postings of topics which already have answers in the Sticky's. We have so many great Sticky's here on Tom's, but many n00bs don't seem to be aware that they are available to help them. I think many others don't want to read, and instead prefer to post questions so that they can have information spoon fed to them. Don't get me started...

November 30, 2007 2:25:07 AM

You need to learn to use two useful tools: Firefox and Adblock Plus ;) 

That is an interesting idea about the master index, you should mention it to them, though who you mention it to is a good question.
!