Sign in with
Your question

Final Comments before purchase please (updated)

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2007 12:30:39 AM

I started looking into building a new computer for myself last weekend and I think I am ready to order it this weekend. I posted a thread here Monday asking for some initial comments.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534

Thanks for the suggestion akhilles, I like the look of this one a lot more, and if it cools better then great.

PSU: Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550W

Same price as the Xion, I had this in my cart first, but the Xion stole my attention with pretty blue lights initially.

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600

Sticking with this one (free copy of GRAW as a bonus too)

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E

I had the EVGA SLI 680i mobo in my first draft of the build, but to be honest I really don't think I am going to go SLI, even though this motherboard is listed as an SLI I am not purchasing it for that specifically. I have an ASUS now and couldn't be happier.

Video Card: EVGA 8800GTX

This should fit in that case right...

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800

I like corsair. I should be okay with the 5-5-5-12 stock timings instead of its slightly more expensive cousins 4-4-4-12 (which was having to be RMAed like crazy)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Seems like a good deal.

Floppy Drive: Floppy Drive

Just a cheap one because I haven't built a computer without one, probably will be my last though.

DVD/CD Drive: (Category Link)

Not sure about this to be honest, obviously not the most integral part of the machine but pretty necessary none the less. Just need to find one thats in stock and cheap. Kind of a last minute thing.

Thanks

edit 1: I changed the PSU and the case
edit 2: Please read my last reply
Related resources
February 2, 2007 1:55:14 PM

I have the GameXstream, it's awesome but they made the cables way too long IMO, but I got the Antec P180b and its a big case :D 
February 4, 2007 12:36:28 PM

Okay, today is purchase day... some updates and questions:

1.) I am mainly going to be gaming (I am not worried about this machine holding up to my school related work). I want to try to OC a little, but no huge % gains, just squeeze a tad more performance down the road. This is also why I ask about the RAM.

2.) Is it worth it, necessary, or good to get the 4-4-4-12 @2.1V version of the ram I have in my cart that is 5-5-5-12 @1.9V for about a $25 difference? I don't want to screw myself over because I cheaped out, but there is also a limit between when extra $XX on parts starts to add up.

3.) I found this drive w/ lightscribe for $30

4.) I also added an extra 120.

5.) I am still not 100% sure about the chipset, I have read a lot of stuff between intel and nvidia. If money weren't an issue I would just get the EVGA 680i and be done with it, but it is.

edit: whoops

6.) I almost forgot about a heatsink, should I just go with stock, I only want to spend $20-40 here, if there is a great heatsink in this range that will fit please send me a link.

I looked at this which a friend of mine has, but it is 120mm. I looked at the motherboard and guestimated the space between the edge of the board and the silver block that would obstruct it and thats only 101.6mm. So I would need one that would fit obviously =P
February 4, 2007 4:52:53 PM

a good cooler in that price range is ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro but dont buy it from newegg. it typically runs about $30. the timings on the ram will make a little difference when you oc the ram c2d oc guide since your not goin to oc much, its nothing to worry about
February 4, 2007 6:10:19 PM

Glad you like the case.

2. To an overclocker, def. To the average user, nope & they would be best off with 533 ram.

4. If you get the blue led one, put it in the back so that the blue light will bounce off the wall to create a pretty cool effect in the dark. Or you can get this silent one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

5. Actually, from what I've read, 650i is as fast as if not faster than 680i in terms of overclocking.
!