Probably the dumbest noob question, but I got to ask someone

erik_tilton

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Does the Core 2 Duos support 64-bit Windows OS, like the 64-bit Vista? Or is it only the AMD Athlon 64s that do that?

I never built before and I am asking this because I want to use my first computer to its fullest in the future. I heard that 64-bit operating systems give better performance but lack support or driver support compared to the more common 32-bit operating systems.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Yes, Core 2 Duos fully support all 64bit operating systems. Although i would just get the 32bit version, 64bit isnt worth it unless you have a ton of ram or the programs your using only come in 64bit.

Fustigator

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Agreed.

The core 2 duo will support both platforms, but 64 bit is unnecessary unless you are using more than 3GB of RAM. So, your 1GB doesn't require it. Additionally, 64 bit support is sorely lacking. We have had to purchase several 64 bit workstations at work because the Finite Element software we use is demanding 4+ GBs of RAM to run our 3d models. Alas, we have had to cobble together drivers and other support in order to do some pretty basic stuff. A lot of software also lacks 64 bit support. Don't switch unless/until you have to.