Highest Wattage MicroATX Power Supply?

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hello all,

I've searched and can only seem to find a maximum ~ 350-400 Watt power supplies in the Micro-ATX size. I currently have a 420 Watt Power Supply that came with my Aspire X-Qpack case, and it's working just fine in my current config. I would eventually like to do some mild overclocking add another hard drive and maybe even some case mods like Fans, CCFL's or other geeky goodness. I would feel more comfortable if I had a 500+ Watt power supply just to give me the extra head room. If anyone knows of a 500+ Watt Power supply that will fit MicroATX I would greatly appreciate the recommendation.

Thank you!
Jason

Current Config:
Aspire X-Qpack Blue - 420W P/S
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz (Stock clocking)
ThermalTake Blue Orb II CPU Heatsink (OMG this thing rocks)
EVGA 131-K8-NF44-AX Socket 939 nForce4 SLI MicoATX Mobo.
2x512MB Corsair CMX512-3200LLPRO 2.3.2.6 (Stock timings)
PNY 7900GS Video Card (stock cooling / clocking for now)
DVD+-RW/CDRW (Can't remember the model # off hand)
WD Caviar 80GB 7200 HD
Dell WFP2407 24" LCD

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Trouble is if you find a 500W it still may not have the amps you need to power that system. If you have a second 5.25" bay that is open then i would suggest this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153037

This will supply the 6 pin PCI-e power that your video card requires. This will releive about 6A opf load from the PSU. So as i fugure it a PSU that offers between 14A and 16A on the +12v rail will be plenty as long as you use that Thermaltake adon PSU.

I do have a 2nd 5.25 bay available.. That aux power supply looks very promising. Can you tell me more about it? Like do I just leave it on and will it power on and off with the main power switch? That may be the alternative I'm looking for. Thanks for the info!

Jason

EDIT: Nevermind, answered my own questions. Went to Thermaltake.com and researched it. This looks like the answer I've been searching for.. Now If only it will fit in the case !!
Thanks again!
Jason

The Aspire X-Qpack uses a standard ATX PSU, not a micro-ATX PSU.

http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=175

I've read some complaints about the PSU and the DVD drive almost pushing up against each other. However, I didn't read any complaints of any specific full size ATX PSU and a standard length DVD/CD drive not fitting together.

I like your forum name, maybe I should change mine to SubaruSTi ;)
I didn't say the X-Qpack PSU is mATX. My question and statements may have been misleading and I did assume that only a mATX PSU would fit correctly in to the minimal space provided ... but I can tell you that the included PSU it is shorter than most standard ATX PSU by +/- 15-20mm. I did have to squeeze the cdrom power and data connections in between the PSU and DVD/CD-rom, but it was do-able, as there is about +/- 15-20mm of space between the 2 devices. I've recently ordered a SATAII DVD/CD writer from Samsung, so hopefully by using a 'right angle' sata connector will allow for more room between the two.

Jason

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
UPDATE: my new Samsung SH-S183L DVD/CD writer came in yesterday, I installed it in the Micro case, and to my surprise it's about 1 - 1.5 inches shorter than my previous disk writer.. Now I've more than enough space to install a 600W or maybe even a 1000W PSU. WOOT!

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Jason