Onboard Audio and Media Center

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have a Gigabyte P965 S3 with the onboard Realtek HD audio and the drivers that came with the CD.

For some reason, while my games run in 5.1 surround, XP Media Center and Window Media Player do not. I have set the onboard audio system to 6 channel (or 5.1), and both Windows Media Player and Media Center are set to 5.1

Whats going on? Anyone have any clue as to why they are only playing in 2 channel audio? The Subwoofer seems to play and the onboard equalizer works, but the other three speakers (center channel, right and left surround) do not work.

deadlysushi

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
I would love to help ya but its hard to figure out what the problem is without being there. My best guess is that there is conflicting software. Keep in mind that games do not use the codecs that other media uses.
What is app is playing your audio and video?

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Actually, right after I posted this last night I downloaded the latest Realtek drivers again and then cleaned out a lot of old software. Now Its working fine, and I have audio out of all speakers. Kewl. However, all audio seems to play out of all speakers ALL THE TIME.

While this is great for me if Im listening to music on Windows Media player or such, I really hope movies remain in true 5.1 (with sounds coming directionally).

Anyway, thanks a bunch, if anyone has any tips or tricks to fully configuring a sound system for uber-pwning audiophile goodness, post it here!