Help an extreme newb

i hope i aint breaking any rules, im a little short on time so i dont reli have time to look through the forum. if i am breaking any rules delete this post

my problem is this - my present comp is ancient, since year 2000, its falling apart, and it just broke. i wanna buy an ENTIRELY new computer. I've been though a few "beginners guides to doing it yourself", but even these i didnt understand.

Im a super noob, and i mean super, the only thing i know between AGP n PCI express is that they wont fit in the same motherboard.

What i need is a guide to how to build my own comp. Im a gamer - Dota, NWN2 n stuff, n my comp is starting to be unable to cope with the graphics.

I have aproximately 1000US$ to buy this comp, can someone guide me? or maybe give me a link to a guide for newbies like me, i'd appreciate any help
18 answers Last reply
More about help extreme newb
  1. Read everything about the Core 2 Duos, those are the cpus that your going to use when you build this pc. Check X-bit labs, Hexus, AnandTech, VR-Zone, THG, and Ars Technica often, whilst researching those sites are going to be your best friend.
  2. Hmm, good luck. If you need to know anything, don't be afraid to PM me. I'm pretty much always near a computer.
  3. I can help as well, im pretty much never not near a computer.
  4. Well iam not ever at the right time on a computer when nature calls. :lol:
  5. Quote:
    You may want to go to the general homebuilt section and browse it a little. Many people go there for help on what to buy and such. Also here are some links from Tom's on how to build a pc.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/20/how_to_build_part_1/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/04/choosing-the-right-vender/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3/
    As always a little research can go a long way.


    yes, i tried these guides, but i only partly understand them. I have no idea which parts to choose
  6. can you give me a link, i cant find it.

    What I need in my computer:

    a good processor
    a powerful graphic card (PCI express)
    optimum RAM
    an average sound card
    2 hard disks
    a motherboard that can fit all those in
    and most importantly a casing and powerbox that can fit all that

    and i nid it to be under 1000US$.

    Im a pro gamer (well.... not reli pro...) and i play from NWN2 to Dota to solitare, i sure a bit, i listen to good music, so....

    does anyone know of a computer combo that suits me? Ive been reading so many guides and charts and stuff, my eyes hurt, and i still have no idea what to get
  7. might be a bit outdated, but it does list down some components for your reference.

    e6300 on a budget

    I know its more for overclocking the e6300, but you could use some of the parts he selected.

    He build a really fast computer for less than $650, albeit with a lower end graphics card. Replace it with a 7600GT or 7900GS and your good to go for the next few years.

    Hope this helps.
  8. Quote:
    can you give me a link, i cant find it.

    What I need in my computer:

    a good processor
    a powerful graphic card (PCI express)
    optimum RAM
    an average sound card
    2 hard disks
    a motherboard that can fit all those in
    and most importantly a casing and powerbox that can fit all that

    and i nid it to be under 1000US$.

    Im a pro gamer (well.... not reli pro...) and i play from NWN2 to Dota to solitare, i sure a bit, i listen to good music, so....

    does anyone know of a computer combo that suits me? Ive been reading so many guides and charts and stuff, my eyes hurt, and i still have no idea what to get


    How about this...
    DVD Burner $31.99
    case w/500 watt psu $64.99
    floppy drive $6.99
    2 250 gig hard drives $139.98
    7900 GT vid card $199.99
    2x512mb DDR2-800 memory $108.99
    P965 motherboard $89.99
    Windows XP home w/ upgrade coupon for Vista $89.99
    Intel E4300 Core 2 Duo $175.99
    2 SATA cables $3.98

    All this with shipping is $951.01
    (and there's a free Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter with the CPU purchase)

    UNDER $1000...do I win? :D
  9. You win...nearly, i would get a x1950Pro instead since it beats a 7900GT(slighty) and is cheaper. Also, a brand name psu like ANTEC or HIPER would be a better choice over a 'case with psu' one.
  10. well, if its a 250gb hard disk, i only nid one, and i already have a dvd burner....but thnx lots, i'll look the stuff up
  11. Quote:
    i hope i aint breaking any rules, im a little short on time so i dont reli have time to look through the forum. if i am breaking any rules delete this post

    OK, POST DELETED!! :x only joking :)

    All/Everyone in/at these forums are newbs.

    Whe are all learning new PC stuff everyday, no experts here :)
  12. well, i already have an ok graphic card dat can last me a couple of years. the prob now is its AGP.

    i nid a motherboard that can fit both AGP n pci express, a kick ass processor a couple of good RAMs, 1 hard disk, a casing to stuff all that in, and a power box to power them. i already have the sound card, n dvd burner, and 1 crappy 80gig hard disk.

    im mainly a computer gamer, with a little or internet surfing.
  13. Power box? Huh, ive never heard of it called that before. :lol:

    What kind of gfx card is it? What kind of sound card? And what kind of HDD?

    Quote:
    Well iam not ever at the right time on a computer when nature calls. :lol:


    One of the main reasons my macbook is still my main computer. Wifi is awesome.
  14. Quote:
    well, i already have an ok graphic card dat can last me a couple of years. the prob now is its AGP.

    i nid a motherboard that can fit both AGP n pci express, a kick ass processor a couple of good RAMs, 1 hard disk, a casing to stuff all that in, and a power box to power them. i already have the sound card, n dvd burner, and 1 crappy 80gig hard disk.

    im mainly a computer gamer, with a little or internet surfing.


    Do you have any spare DDR400?
  15. I hate to say but unfortunatly building comp is not neccesarily 4 everybody. :cry:
  16. Dude, you can call on my assistance 24/7. I may not be able to help you solve your PC build problem, but I can certainly distract you from your troubles by sending you some mind-blowing pr0n! :lol:
  17. Quote:
    well, i already have an ok graphic card dat can last me a couple of years. the prob now is its AGP.

    i nid a motherboard that can fit both AGP n pci express, a kick ass processor a couple of good RAMs, 1 hard disk, a casing to stuff all that in, and a power box to power them. i already have the sound card, n dvd burner, and 1 crappy 80gig hard disk.

    im mainly a computer gamer, with a little or internet surfing.


    About your only option if you want Core2Duo DDR&DDR2 and AGP&PCIE is the ASrock motherboard. If I were you I would bite the bullet and go PCIE and DDR2
  18. its ok now
    i gave my VGA to a cuz and bought a PCIE from scratch, cost me RM3800, which is probably 1000US$. Im gonna miss that money.....
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product