Sign in with
Your question

Help an extreme newb

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2007 1:54:52 AM

i hope i aint breaking any rules, im a little short on time so i dont reli have time to look through the forum. if i am breaking any rules delete this post

my problem is this - my present comp is ancient, since year 2000, its falling apart, and it just broke. i wanna buy an ENTIRELY new computer. I've been though a few "beginners guides to doing it yourself", but even these i didnt understand.

Im a super noob, and i mean super, the only thing i know between AGP n PCI express is that they wont fit in the same motherboard.

What i need is a guide to how to build my own comp. Im a gamer - Dota, NWN2 n stuff, n my comp is starting to be unable to cope with the graphics.

I have aproximately 1000US$ to buy this comp, can someone guide me? or maybe give me a link to a guide for newbies like me, i'd appreciate any help

More about : extreme newb

February 2, 2007 2:09:58 AM

Read everything about the Core 2 Duos, those are the cpus that your going to use when you build this pc. Check X-bit labs, Hexus, AnandTech, VR-Zone, THG, and Ars Technica often, whilst researching those sites are going to be your best friend.
February 2, 2007 2:14:42 AM

Hmm, good luck. If you need to know anything, don't be afraid to PM me. I'm pretty much always near a computer.
Related resources
February 2, 2007 2:17:22 AM

I can help as well, im pretty much never not near a computer.
February 2, 2007 2:36:32 AM

Well iam not ever at the right time on a computer when nature calls. :lol: 
February 2, 2007 2:38:22 AM

Quote:
You may want to go to the general homebuilt section and browse it a little. Many people go there for help on what to buy and such. Also here are some links from Tom's on how to build a pc.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/20/how_to_build_par...
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/04/choosing-the-rig...
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-p...
As always a little research can go a long way.

yes, i tried these guides, but i only partly understand them. I have no idea which parts to choose
February 2, 2007 4:14:12 AM

can you give me a link, i cant find it.

What I need in my computer:

a good processor
a powerful graphic card (PCI express)
optimum RAM
an average sound card
2 hard disks
a motherboard that can fit all those in
and most importantly a casing and powerbox that can fit all that

and i nid it to be under 1000US$.

Im a pro gamer (well.... not reli pro...) and i play from NWN2 to Dota to solitare, i sure a bit, i listen to good music, so....

does anyone know of a computer combo that suits me? Ive been reading so many guides and charts and stuff, my eyes hurt, and i still have no idea what to get
February 2, 2007 5:22:40 AM

might be a bit outdated, but it does list down some components for your reference.

e6300 on a budget

I know its more for overclocking the e6300, but you could use some of the parts he selected.

He build a really fast computer for less than $650, albeit with a lower end graphics card. Replace it with a 7600GT or 7900GS and your good to go for the next few years.

Hope this helps.
February 2, 2007 5:37:10 AM

Quote:
can you give me a link, i cant find it.

What I need in my computer:

a good processor
a powerful graphic card (PCI express)
optimum RAM
an average sound card
2 hard disks
a motherboard that can fit all those in
and most importantly a casing and powerbox that can fit all that

and i nid it to be under 1000US$.

Im a pro gamer (well.... not reli pro...) and i play from NWN2 to Dota to solitare, i sure a bit, i listen to good music, so....

does anyone know of a computer combo that suits me? Ive been reading so many guides and charts and stuff, my eyes hurt, and i still have no idea what to get

How about this...
DVD Burner $31.99
case w/500 watt psu $64.99
floppy drive $6.99
2 250 gig hard drives $139.98
7900 GT vid card $199.99
2x512mb DDR2-800 memory $108.99
P965 motherboard $89.99
Windows XP home w/ upgrade coupon for Vista $89.99
Intel E4300 Core 2 Duo $175.99
2 SATA cables $3.98

All this with shipping is $951.01
(and there's a free Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter with the CPU purchase)

UNDER $1000...do I win? :D 
February 2, 2007 9:59:26 AM

You win...nearly, i would get a x1950Pro instead since it beats a 7900GT(slighty) and is cheaper. Also, a brand name psu like ANTEC or HIPER would be a better choice over a 'case with psu' one.
February 3, 2007 4:01:48 AM

well, if its a 250gb hard disk, i only nid one, and i already have a dvd burner....but thnx lots, i'll look the stuff up
February 3, 2007 4:11:37 AM

Quote:
i hope i aint breaking any rules, im a little short on time so i dont reli have time to look through the forum. if i am breaking any rules delete this post

OK, POST DELETED!! :x only joking :) 

All/Everyone in/at these forums are newbs.

Whe are all learning new PC stuff everyday, no experts here :) 
February 15, 2007 10:17:32 AM

well, i already have an ok graphic card dat can last me a couple of years. the prob now is its AGP.

i nid a motherboard that can fit both AGP n pci express, a kick ass processor a couple of good RAMs, 1 hard disk, a casing to stuff all that in, and a power box to power them. i already have the sound card, n dvd burner, and 1 crappy 80gig hard disk.

im mainly a computer gamer, with a little or internet surfing.
February 15, 2007 11:10:47 AM

Power box? Huh, ive never heard of it called that before. :lol: 

What kind of gfx card is it? What kind of sound card? And what kind of HDD?

Quote:
Well iam not ever at the right time on a computer when nature calls. :lol: 

One of the main reasons my macbook is still my main computer. Wifi is awesome.
February 15, 2007 11:44:29 AM

Quote:
well, i already have an ok graphic card dat can last me a couple of years. the prob now is its AGP.

i nid a motherboard that can fit both AGP n pci express, a kick ass processor a couple of good RAMs, 1 hard disk, a casing to stuff all that in, and a power box to power them. i already have the sound card, n dvd burner, and 1 crappy 80gig hard disk.

Do you have any spare DDR400?
February 21, 2007 6:34:36 AM

I hate to say but unfortunatly building comp is not neccesarily 4 everybody. :cry: 
February 21, 2007 6:47:10 AM

Dude, you can call on my assistance 24/7. I may not be able to help you solve your PC build problem, but I can certainly distract you from your troubles by sending you some mind-blowing pr0n! :lol: 
February 21, 2007 3:52:16 PM

Quote:

About your only option if you want Core2Duo DDR&DDR2 and AGP&PCIE is the ASrock motherboard. If I were you I would bite the bullet and go PCIE and DDR2
February 23, 2007 7:59:29 AM

its ok now
i gave my VGA to a cuz and bought a PCIE from scratch, cost me RM3800, which is probably 1000US$. Im gonna miss that money.....
!