ASUS a730w +ROM update

April 29, 2005 9:08:39 PM

I just downloaded a ROM update from ASUs site for my a730w in the
hopes it will solve my wireless isues but the site is not clear about
whether after the update all the programs in RAM will still be
available or if this basicaly does a factory reset (this is what I
assume to be the case) If that is is so is will I be able to restore
from a backup. I use Sprite Pocket Backup. The instructions for the
update simply say backup your data first. It doesn't say if this can
be done with a backup program liek sprite and then restored

If I will have to spend a number of hours reinstalling everything from
scratch I need to set aside a day or so to do it - a royal pain!

More about : asus a730w rom update

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:08:40 PM

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded a ROM update from ASUs site for my a730w in the
> hopes it will solve my wireless isues but the site is not clear about
> whether after the update all the programs in RAM will still be
> available or if this basicaly does a factory reset (this is what I
> assume to be the case) If that is is so is will I be able to restore
> from a backup. I use Sprite Pocket Backup. The instructions for the
> update simply say backup your data first. It doesn't say if this can
> be done with a backup program liek sprite and then restored
>
> If I will have to spend a number of hours reinstalling everything from
> scratch I need to set aside a day or so to do it - a royal pain!

Your PPC will be blank after a rom upgrade, so plan accordingly (with the
exception of any persistent file stores and memory cards, which *should* not
be affected by a rom update). You can use Sprite backup to restore the
programs you have, but in most cases it is best to reinstall all the
programs due to changes in the operating system, registry, program version
changes such as Media Player, etc.

This might be a good time to decide what programs you really want, as well
as getting rid of any garbage you have left behind from programs tried and
discarded (but which Sprite software faithfully backs up). AS a side note,
you might be surprised at how much memory you suddenly reclaim doing this.

Of course you can try the backup anyway. If it doesn't work you can hard
reset (see device docs), which will reset it back to the condition of the
last rom upgrade, and then install desired programs. But you may have added
some variables that could bite you later, so to speak.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:08:41 PM

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> Of course you can try the backup anyway. If it doesn't work you can hard
> reset (see device docs), which will reset it back to the condition of the
> last rom upgrade, and then install desired programs. But you may have
> added some variables that could bite you later, so to speak.

I left out a few words - the variables sentence applies if you keep the
backup instead of hard reset and reinstalling. Common sense but just wanted
to be clear.
April 30, 2005 4:00:34 AM

Thanks

I guess I'll wait until I have some time and then do this. It's a
shame as the PDA is new and I've taken a long time setting it up just
the way I wanted it, but then found I can't get WiFi to work with my
home network and I read somewhere that the ROM update might help
Ah well C'est la vie

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:42:15 -0400, "xTenn"
<xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote:

>"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
>>

>> Of course you can try the backup anyway. If it doesn't work you can hard
>> reset (see device docs), which will reset it back to the condition of the
>> last rom upgrade, and then install desired programs. But you may have
>> added some variables that could bite you later, so to speak.
>>

>I left out a few words - the variables sentence applies if you keep the
>backup instead of hard reset and reinstalling. Common sense but just wanted
>to be clear.

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:47:13 PM

> Thanks
>
> I guess I'll wait until I have some time and then do this. It's a
> shame as the PDA is new and I've taken a long time setting it up just
> the way I wanted it, but then found I can't get WiFi to work with my
> home network and I read somewhere that the ROM update might help
> Ah well C'est la vie
>

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:42:15 -0400, "xTenn"
> <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote:
>

>>"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Of course you can try the backup anyway. If it doesn't work you can
>>> hard
>>> reset (see device docs), which will reset it back to the condition of
>>> the
>>> last rom upgrade, and then install desired programs. But you may have
>>> added some variables that could bite you later, so to speak.
>>>

>>I left out a few words - the variables sentence applies if you keep the
>>backup instead of hard reset and reinstalling. Common sense but just
>>wanted
>>to be clear.
>>

>There is a method of using Sprite Backup to do an upgrade backup and
>restore.. I succesfully did this on my Loox when I upgraded the ROM. The
>instructions are here and it is not guaranteed.

http://spritesoftware.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?id=66
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 5:44:25 PM

I would strongly suggest that you first sync your a730w with your PC then,
do a Hard Reset, before you attempt to do the ROM upgrade, and that you do
another Hard Reset after the ROM upgrade, then re-install (not restore) all
programs again. This will minimize the chances of you turning your device
into a brick, or having problems after the upgrade.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

!