Max HD Size?

February 21, 2005 5:13:09 PM

Hello all. I am doing video work and need much free space on my hard drive.
Currently, I have a 160GB drive. I would like to add another similar or
200GB drive. I have a SATA slot open, but wonder if there is a limit to HD
size. Is there?
I have a 3.20 GHz P4 running XP SP2, and a fairly new ASUS motherboard.
Thanks!

More about : max size

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:13:10 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:13:09 +0100, LMO wrote:

> Hello all. I am doing video work and need much free space on my hard drive.
> Currently, I have a 160GB drive. I would like to add another similar or
> 200GB drive. I have a SATA slot open, but wonder if there is a limit to HD
> size. Is there?
> I have a 3.20 GHz P4 running XP SP2, and a fairly new ASUS motherboard.
> Thanks!

You will run into a size limitation dictated by the system board first.
Check the documentation for your motherboard to find out the maximum size
that it will support.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi, LMO.

The HD size limits depend more on the FILE system (FAT vs. NTFS, for
example) than on the operating system (WinXP vs. Win9x/ME). But the limits
nowadays are already in the hundreds of TERAbytes per VOLUME range and there
can be several volumes on a single HD, so you are nowhere near the limits
yet. As Sharon said, you are likely to hit hardware limits long before you
come close to the limit set by Windows. And, since my local Best Buy has
been selling 400 GB HDs for some months now, your 160 GB plus 200 GB, while
impressive by MY standards, will not impress WinXP all that much. ;^}

For details, see this page in the online version of the WinXP Pro Resource
Kit:
Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems

Sometimes these RK URLs don't land on the exact page I'm aiming at, but if
you explore around there, you'll find a lot of information relative to your
question.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. I am doing video work and need much free space on my hard
> drive. Currently, I have a 160GB drive. I would like to add another
> similar or 200GB drive. I have a SATA slot open, but wonder if there is a
> limit to HD size. Is there?
> I have a 3.20 GHz P4 running XP SP2, and a fairly new ASUS motherboard.
> Thanks!
Related resources
February 21, 2005 6:20:57 PM

4.294.967.296 Gigabyte of 4.3 Terrabyte. Kan jouw BIOS dat wel aan en waar
kun je die schijven voor een mats-prijsje kopen?

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello all. I am doing video work and need much free space on my hard
> drive. Currently, I have a 160GB drive. I would like to add another
> similar or 200GB drive. I have a SATA slot open, but wonder if there is a
> limit to HD size. Is there?
> I have a 3.20 GHz P4 running XP SP2, and a fairly new ASUS motherboard.
> Thanks!

February 22, 2005 4:31:31 AM

Probeer de drive Fabrikant website te kontaken, en ook de motherboard ook te
nemen. "Check out" 'Help en Support' op de site, ook.

--

johnf

!