Slyfoxman7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I set me cpu voltage in my evga 680i bios to 1.4v but CPU-Z says the voltage is only 1.36. Is CPU-Z wrong or is there a reason why my cpu would be undervolted?

CPUz typically has trouble getting voltages accurate once it exceeds 1.35V. At least thats what I've seen. Use CoreTemp to get a more accurate view of both temperature and voltages for the CPU.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Agreed with Ninja but even Coretemp can mess it up sometimes, BIOS is really the only place to find an accurate reading.

Coretemp is the best temp checking program though, and is usually accurate on voltages, just not all the time. At least you are smart enough to recognize when it is wrong :)

Slyfoxman7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
What's a bit odd is that the current voltage reading in the bios is always lower then what it is set it to and it agrees with CPU-Z.

Slyfoxman7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It's a bit difficult to explain. There are two columns in the bios. One column with the current voltage reading and one column where you set the voltage manually. So when you change settings, you can remember what it initially was. When I change the volts and restart, I go back into the bios and the initial voltage column is always under the manually set voltage. If that makes any sense...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
When you check Vcore in BIOS, the CPU is under a minimum load condition. When you check Vcore using most any utility in Windows, the CPU can be under a more dynamic condition, which placed the voltage regulators under more load, and results in some level of Vcore sag. If you heavily load the CPU with TAT or Orthos for example, then check Vcore, you will see Vcore sag even further.

Hope this helps. 8)

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
When you check Vcore in BIOS, the CPU is under a minimum load condition. When you check Vcore using most any utility in Windows, the CPU can be under a more dynamic condition, which placed the voltage regulators under more load, and results in some level of Vcore sag. If you heavily load the CPU with TAT or Orthos for example, then check Vcore, you will see Vcore sag even further.

Hope this helps. 8)
Correct, Vcore will drop a little under load in windows no matter how good your PSU or MB voltage regulators are.

If your MB is ASUS, compare other monitoring programs with ASUS PC Probe