Help Required seeking the correct cooling solution

MyHeadHurts

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hi all,

I have recently built myself a new system:

However i think the temps are running a little too high. (The system is running as standard no overlocking)

At present with CoreTemp

Idle approx: 55-59 C
Load approx: 74-78 C

I think i was too heavy handed with the Arctic Silver 5, and i am hoping to sort that out this weekend. However im looking for a good cooling solution for a Desktop case. (I know this is not an ideal case environment but im trying to show up all those poxy mac users :), any advice and help would be greatly appreciated)

Spec is as follows:
Case:Silverstone Grandia GD01MX
PSU:Enermax Galaxy 1000W
Motherboard:Abit AW9D-Max
CPU:Intel QX7600 Extreme Quad Core
CPU Cooler:Silverstone NT06 v2 Cooler
Memory:Corsair Dominator XMS2 8500 DDR2 4GB (4x 1GB Modules+Cooler Fan)
GFX Card:EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Sound:Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Hard Disk 1: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Disk 2: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Disk 3:Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA
Hard Disk 4:Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA
Optical Drive:Plextor PX-760SA DVD RW SATA
Keyboard:Logitech diNovo Edge
Mouse:Logitch MX Revolution
Display: Asus MW221U 22" Widescreen

At present the case has 2 Case fans sitting just behind the 5.25" Bays and behind the CPU Fan.

Things i am thinking of:
1. Addition Case fan (fixture already exsists for this just the back right panel of the pc, i wasnt sure on the space remaining after fitting the CPU cooler so didnt install this already.

2. Correct Re-Application of Arctic Silver 5.

3. Finding a solution to cooling/creating airflow around the hard disks.

I would appreciate any ideas on CPU cooling combined with general case cooling. That might work for the system. I am open to the idea of watercooling if it can be done in subtle and descrete manner.

Thanks in advance for all help!

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
All your ideas are valid, case fans, reapply the AS5 if you think you've used to much (might even want to get a tube of Shin-Etsu X23, proved to be considerable better then AS5 by DaClan.), and i would get a different hsf, the Tuniq Tower 120 is a great cooler, pretty much the best air cooler on the market today. This is the thermal paste im talking about, and this is the review. To build a rig like that you've obviously got money, so these fans are right up your alley, they can push a ton of air.

MyHeadHurts

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hi thanks for the links!

I cannot seem to get the DaClan review link to work, however i belive the linked silverstone fans are the next size up to what is installed in the case from factory standard 8" fans. The 12" fan is installed on the CPU cooler that is currently installed.

Has anyone tried Liquid Pro looks a little "too fluid" from the review on overclockers3d but seems to work very well?

Anyone know a good vendor in the UK for some of these products?

Thank you!

MyHeadHurts

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I have also started looking at external liquid cooling solutions. (enclosed enviroments)

So far the best thing i can see is the:

Silverstone Tundra

However from looking around im lead to believe the CoolIT Freezone is a very good water cooling system. However does anyone know if this is available in an external enclosure?

The search goes on... !

Thanks

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Are you set on getting a water cooling kit? you can get alot better temps if you built the system yourself, an external water cooling system would be a little harder to do, but not by any means impossible.

MyHeadHurts

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
In all honesty im totally undecided on how to handle the CPU cooling aspect.

After looking at the advice you gave me (thanks for that by the way!)

I think that the that following would make sense:
TIM: Shin-Etsu X23
Fan: SilverStone SST-FM121 120mm Case Fan I am sure with a little adapation and not too much pain i can get this thing to fit without too much agony.

That leaves just the question of the CPU cooler:
All air based options seem to absorb all the space in the case which logic would dictate can not be good for airflow and heat dispersement.

Hence i started looking at watercooling. I am a little wary of watercooling as i am a little cautious of any damage i might cause! heh

The Silverstone Tundra, looked like a nice ready to plumb in solution, with a high build quality. The CoolIT Freezone looked like a very effective product but required internal install. Space is at a premium within my casing at the moment and hence the idea of a nicely external exclosed water cooling system.

Further advice would be greatly appreciated! I am of the ilk that it makes more sense to complete the build now and if need be i can OC in the future if the need/fettish arises :)

Thanks!

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
First change would be the heat sink, you need also a rear fan and I would recommend a side fan also. This one blowing air to the top of the heat sink. Check www.frozencpu.com for air and water solutions. I personally like Coolermaster hYPER 6+, ALTHOUGH YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE MOBO IN ORDER TO INSTALL IT. The Hyper tx is really cheap and easy to install. (check www.bigbruin.com for reviews) Zalman had good ones also. For both just check if they can fit in your case!!

Cheers

Olmecoid
8)

MyHeadHurts

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I think after reading up a little further it would make sense to go down the water cooling route, in terms of lowering internal system temperatures.

Lowering CPU temperatures significantly more than Air Cooling.

Would also make me more inclind to make use of the 2nd 5.25" bay to mount another hard disk into.

As there would be increased "Space" and hence should lead to better airflow throught the case.

I am now looking for eternal water cooling solutions, or what would be required to create one!

I had a rather radical thought modifying an exsisting eternal water cooling solution with, a little vehicle air conditioning idea/modification. I am discussing with a friend. In essence precooling the coolant fluid prior to it be passed to the cpu cooling block.

Will depends on form factor and how practical this could be! Would again appreciate any info/advice or links people might be able to impart.

Thanks!

Mondoman

Splendid
I think after reading up a little further it would make sense to go down the water cooling route, in terms of lowering internal system temperatures.
If you really mean "system" and not "CPU", I don't think you'll be pleased with the results. You haven't even given air cooling a proper try with a wimpy CPU cooler like that Silverstone, and water cooling introduces a whole new set of hassles.
Why not try the OEM Intel cooler first as a baseline? Then, you can try something like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for minimal cost, or go with the even fancier ones.

I had a rather radical thought modifying an exsisting eternal water cooling solution with, a little vehicle air conditioning idea/modification. I am discussing with a friend. In essence precooling the coolant fluid prior to it be passed to the cpu cooling block.
This will be a big pain, because you'll get condensation on the tubes and cooling block, so you'll have to both thermally and electrically insulate everything (to the point of being waterproof).

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Ok if you are in to watercooling solution you should consider that the idea of prcoling the fluid is a good one but is old. Most of the solutions, internal or external include a fan to cool the fluid. For instance, coolermaster's aquagate mini uses a fan, also zalman external solution. If you want to make a experiment like the one you are describing, try it on an old-you-dont-care-what-happens-to-it, computer first. If you do not have concerns about money, why not trying a phase change cooler? In that case you are not stripping your car (or your friend's) and you will achieve the temperatures you are looking for. I remember that maximum pc made some articles on how to build a water cooling solution, phase change coolers and how they work.

Saludos

8)