d3xg712

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
"blinking underscore" CANNOT get into bios at all
i just built a new computer
at first, the system was detecting everything,
then i put in my windows cd disk 1 of 2
it started detecting all the hardware i have in my computer
after that it asked me if i would like to continue with installation (enter), quit (f3), or if i would like to repair (r).
So i pressed enter, nothing happend for a long time, i kept pressing it, i know the computer detected my keyboard because it lit up.
HOWEVER next time i booted i did not even get to the "press any key to boot cd from media drive"
Now it just detects the graphics, card, then some more hardware (not sure what the page goes too fast maybe the last thing says something like checking vram).
Anyways after that it goes to a blank screen with a blinking underscore in the top left hand corner
this is a new system
new parts all around
please help!

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds bizarre, dude!

List your components... ALL of them... even any stuff you may have recycled from your previous build.

I'm inclined to think it's a HDD problem... is it making any odd clicking noises?

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
after that it asked me if i would like to continue with installation (enter), quit (f3), or if i would like to repair (r).
So i pressed enter, nothing happend for a long time, i kept pressing it, i know the computer detected my keyboard because it lit up.
HOWEVER next time i booted i did not even get to the "press any key to boot cd from media drive"
Now it just detects the graphics, card, then some more hardware (not sure what the page goes too fast maybe the last thing says something like checking vram).
Anyways after that it goes to a blank screen with a blinking underscore in the top left hand corner
this is a new system
new parts all around
please help!

Ah Ha! Yes, I think its a HDD problem as well. If your using IDE Hard drives turn them all the CS (cable select) on the jumpers, I bet thats it!

d3xg712

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
this is a new system
new parts all around
please help!

Ah Ha! Yes, I think its a HDD problem as well. If your using IDE Hard drives turn them all the CS (cable select) on the jumpers, I bet thats it!

you are correct about ide hard drive
what do u mean cs?
. If your using IDE Hard drives turn them all the CS (cable select) on the jumpers, (please explain in more detail)
is this the power cord or what or is it the cord with 3 24 pin-ish things
i attatched one to mobo one to cd drive and one to hdd

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
what do u mean cs?
. If your using IDE Hard drives turn them all the CS (cable select) on the jumpers, (please explain in more detail)

There are two ways for the HDDs to indentify themselves to the system.
One is set your first hd, the one you want boot from, to Master. All other drives are then set to slave.
The other way is let the OS choose the hdd position setting them all to CS(cable select)
So get out your HDD manuals and pick which way you want them.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
what do u mean cs?

If you look on the back edge of the drive where the cables plug in, you should see a small group of pins (8 or 10), probably with two of them connected by a little widget called a "jumper". If you look somewhere on the drive, there should be a representation of these pins labelled with "Master Slave CS" or "MA SL CS" or something like that... In fact, just read section 3.3 in this file: http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/Desktop/Barracuda%207200.10/100402369e.pdf

Set the jumpers accordingly...

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
what do u mean cs?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00378006.jpg

Go here. The jumpers are prongs which stick up from a little hole in the back of the hard drive. On the prongs will be a bit of plastic that can be used to join two of the prongs. On the face of the hard drive should be a sticker that looks like this:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/7k500/16lhjum.gif

Put the little plastic bit over the two prongs which set the hard drive to cable select.

Hopefully this might help