Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wireless connection +"the page you are looking for cannot ..

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:14:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have an ASUS a730w and am trying to connect it wirelessly to my home
network which has a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G Wireless router (DI-624)
Eveb with the "g" setting turned off although my PPC shows me as
connected every page I try to go to with IE gives me the message "the
page you are looking for cannot be found"

I'm new to setting up a wireless network so any help would be
appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something.

If the settings on the router need a lot of tweaking how does this
work for hot spots etc elsewhere. I innocently thought I could find a
place with a free wireless hot spot, turn on the WiFi on the PDA,
look for an available connection, hit connect and surf. This isn't
working at all at home so how will it work elsewhere?
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:14:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:qgq4711obj0l1e2kvfm2beff1kt2r2qn16@4ax.com...
> I have an ASUS a730w and am trying to connect it wirelessly to my home
> network which has a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G Wireless router (DI-624)
> Eveb with the "g" setting turned off although my PPC shows me as
> connected every page I try to go to with IE gives me the message "the
> page you are looking for cannot be found"
>
> I'm new to setting up a wireless network so any help would be
> appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something.
>
> If the settings on the router need a lot of tweaking how does this
> work for hot spots etc elsewhere. I innocently thought I could find a
> place with a free wireless hot spot, turn on the WiFi on the PDA,
> look for an available connection, hit connect and surf. This isn't
> working at all at home so how will it work elsewhere?

I'm not familar with that model but is there anything under connections or
even programs that allows you to manage the wireless card of your PPC? If so
can you see if your getting a valid IP? It's well worth getting one of the
tools you can find out there to do some basic pings and traceroutes on the
PPC so you can figure out where your problem might be.

As far as connecting wirelessly to the Dlink product I've never had any
problem with my older B router however I have had issues with DLink super G
when you turn on encryption as well.
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:14:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It shouldn't be difficult, as most PPC's you just turn
wireless on, and the connection should pop right up.
What are your firewall settings? www.aximsite.com has a
great wireless setup guide too.

xfiler


>-----Original Message-----
>I have an ASUS a730w and am trying to connect it
wirelessly to my home
>network which has a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G Wireless
router (DI-624)
>Eveb with the "g" setting turned off although my PPC
shows me as
>connected every page I try to go to with IE gives me the
message "the
>page you are looking for cannot be found"
>
>I'm new to setting up a wireless network so any help
would be
>appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something.
>
>If the settings on the router need a lot of tweaking how
does this
>work for hot spots etc elsewhere. I innocently thought I
could find a
>place with a free wireless hot spot, turn on the WiFi on
the PDA,
>look for an available connection, hit connect and surf.
This isn't
>working at all at home so how will it work elsewhere?
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:46:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Most places you will be able to just turn on the wireless and it will pick
it up. I'm not really very familiar with your ppc but I do know of several
people that have had trouble with d-link wireless routers, me being one of
them. Once I went to a different brand router I had no problems. Might try
D-Links faq's to see if you can pick up any hints or even thier tech support
April 30, 2005 12:00:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

My two cents...

Try restarting everything, including powering off the wireless router.

Try pocketwinc available as a free download here:
http://ppcworld.home.comcast.net/ppc_wifi.htm

If those two things don't get you connected it is likely that it is in
your connections settings on your ppc, especially if you have had other
wireless devices connect to your router. You may have to go to the
connection settings and just try different things.
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:03:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've tried with and without firewall, also with and without WEP. I
check the Wireless configeration and it says "connected" but I can't
surf anywhere. I've turned Wireless G off on the router too but
nothing seems to make a difference


On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:42:04 -0700, "xfiler"
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It shouldn't be difficult, as most PPC's you just turn
>wireless on, and the connection should pop right up.
>What are your firewall settings? www.aximsite.com has a
>great wireless setup guide too.
>
>xfiler
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>I have an ASUS a730w and am trying to connect it
>wirelessly to my home
>>network which has a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G Wireless
>router (DI-624)
>>Eveb with the "g" setting turned off although my PPC
>shows me as
>>connected every page I try to go to with IE gives me the
>message "the
>>page you are looking for cannot be found"
>>
>>I'm new to setting up a wireless network so any help
>would be
>>appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something.
>>
>>If the settings on the router need a lot of tweaking how
>does this
>>work for hot spots etc elsewhere. I innocently thought I
>could find a
>>place with a free wireless hot spot, turn on the WiFi on
>the PDA,
>>look for an available connection, hit connect and surf.
>This isn't
>>working at all at home so how will it work elsewhere?
>>.
>>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:03:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It almost sounds like you're connecting but not being able to authenticate.
First to get things going try to turn off all security on the router and see
if you can connect.
Getting a utility to ping, check your name server, etc would be useful. That
would tell you at least whether you successfully got an ipaddress and name
server.

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Please do not send
email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.



"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bmi571l86lk4uksbnfr2b5g90dqmfpu433@4ax.com...
>
>
> I've tried with and without firewall, also with and without WEP. I
> check the Wireless configeration and it says "connected" but I can't
> surf anywhere. I've turned Wireless G off on the router too but
> nothing seems to make a difference
>
>
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:42:04 -0700, "xfiler"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>It shouldn't be difficult, as most PPC's you just turn
>>wireless on, and the connection should pop right up.
>>What are your firewall settings? www.aximsite.com has a
>>great wireless setup guide too.
>>
>>xfiler
>>
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>I have an ASUS a730w and am trying to connect it
>>wirelessly to my home
>>>network which has a D-Link AirPlus Extreme G Wireless
>>router (DI-624)
>>>Eveb with the "g" setting turned off although my PPC
>>shows me as
>>>connected every page I try to go to with IE gives me the
>>message "the
>>>page you are looking for cannot be found"
>>>
>>>I'm new to setting up a wireless network so any help
>>would be
>>>appreciated. Maybe I'm missing something.
>>>
>>>If the settings on the router need a lot of tweaking how
>>does this
>>>work for hot spots etc elsewhere. I innocently thought I
>>could find a
>>>place with a free wireless hot spot, turn on the WiFi on
>>the PDA,
>>>look for an available connection, hit connect and surf.
>>This isn't
>>>working at all at home so how will it work elsewhere?
>>>.
>>>
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:25:13 -0400, "James B" <nospam@here.com> wrote:



You said:

It's well worth getting one of the
>tools you can find out there to do some basic pings and traceroutes on the
>PPC so you can figure out where your problem might be.
>

Could you give me an idea what to look for to do this so I can do a
google search? Thanks
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 10:58:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Here's a few:

http://www.omegaone.com/PocketPC/PM.html
PcketMechanic. Will show your current IP and let you release and renew it.

There use to be a bunch of stuff at http://www.freewareppc.com/ but it seems
down right now.

http://www.ppcsoftware.net/release/tracert/
$2.99

Probably your best bet is:
http://pda.tucows.com/pocket/preview/390745.html (FREE)


"Jane Austin" <janeaustin376@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eti571t02noe4gbbd3e6iso6d2u4v7d0sc@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:25:13 -0400, "James B" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> You said:
>
> It's well worth getting one of the
> >tools you can find out there to do some basic pings and traceroutes on
the
> >PPC so you can figure out where your problem might be.
> >
>
> Could you give me an idea what to look for to do this so I can do a
> google search? Thanks
> >
>
!