Connecting 2 computers....GUEST password?

Im trying to connect 2 computers using a simple crossover cable. Usually I have no trouble with this at all, change the ip's and im good to go.

Im having a problem at the moment connecting a different PC, the computers can see each other and the connection says its connected with no problems. BUT, when I click on the networked computer to access it, it asks for a password.

I think its something to do with the guest privilages becuase the usename on the password entry window is "computer name/GUEST"

Anyone know why its asking this? and how I switch it off?
3 answers Last reply
More about connecting computers guest password
  1. Map the network drive and choose "reconnect at startup" or similar language. Enter your id and password and Windows should remember it.
  2. found this that may be useful to you btw thanks to the guy that made this i have used it loads along with his other tips

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#blank_passwords

Allowing Network Access with Blank Passwords
    Added 3/23/02

Although you can log in locally without a password, by default, WindowsXP Pro does not allow network users to access the computer without a password. Typically you will receive an Unknown error 31 if this is the case.

To change this setting:

Run gpedit.msc
    Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
    Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only
    Disable this option
  3. Make sure you have file sharing enabled, and turn on simple file sharing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connection Computers Networking