QuadCORE is it worth it? or just a sales gimmic?

ShEpRON

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hey all, i was thinking of getting a new CPU, i got an XFX 8800GTX XXX and now i want to get Vista... but ive got an old p4 2.8gig... (zzzzzz) and i want to get a cpu that will keep me going for at least a year. Here in South Africa, the Intel EX6800 and the QX6700 are the same price. and i was wondering if the Quad core made any difference.. I AM STRICTLY A GAMER!!!! i finally got my 22" LCD for Christmas and NOW i want to PLAY!!!

PLEASE hElP

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
But they are the same price. This is just silly. Get the quad. When you do actually do something else with it like decrypt dvd's or whatever you'll be glad you did. Plus the Quad should have a better resale value...

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Hell yes, Dade is totally right! Plus Supreme Commander is coded for 4 cores and you should see substantial gains in that game! Get the quad core! No contest!

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Like I said in baron's vista thread, I'll stick to my win XP black edition. Looks very much like vista but just doesn't have the DX 10 support. (as far as I know). Haven't realy had it for very long and haven't been home to mess around with it.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Hey all, i was thinking of getting a new CPU, i got an XFX 8800GTX XXX and now i want to get Vista... but ive got an old p4 2.8gig... (zzzzzz) and i want to get a cpu that will keep me going for at least a year. Here in South Africa, the Intel EX6800 and the QX6700 are the same price. and i was wondering if the Quad core made any difference.. I AM STRICTLY A GAMER!!!! i finally got my 22" LCD for Christmas and NOW i want to PLAY!!!

PLEASE hElP
Will your mobo even SEE a Core 2 Duo? You didn't mention anything about a motherboard, so I'm assuming you're looking to use the P4 board. Look up your motherboard on it's company website and see if it'll recognize a Core 2 with a BIOS upgrade. Otherwise you're looking at a CPU/mobo/memory/PSU upgrade.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Although you wont benefit from 4 cores atm, but in future you will, its worthy to get quad now, unless you plan another upgrade in a year or two - then get faster speed dual core now :wink:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Like I said in baron's vista thread, I'll stick to my win XP black edition. Looks very much like vista but just doesn't have the DX 10 support. (as far as I know). Haven't realy had it for very long and haven't been home to mess around with it.

I'm sticking with XP but I'm not getting a quadcore for the system I'm buying this summer. I'm getting two quadcores. I figure that is gonna future-proof me until 2010.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
*bastage*
you rich A$$ bazturd
*/bastage*

Wish I could afford a damn dual core. After I bent my driveshaft from too much horses upfront, I'm kinda low on the $$$. BMW driveshafts aint cheap.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lol that why I will not go for bmw haha. I am Aiming for a 350 z turbo.

But right now I would stay with dual core untel quad core has a better use then suck up power when not needed.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
are you people really that oblivious. okay, first of all if both cpu's are the same price, go with the quad core. As far as sucking up more power...he has an 8800gtx xxx. need i say more. really people, think before you post.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
HEY! I did suggest the damn Quad. Don't wanna fight just saying. I'm going home now before more complaining clients come in. I'm out.

MikeGR7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Get the Quad one. Don't get Vista until SP1 comes out and at least 10 Vista only games released. Same prize more cores. I am a big overclocker and i tell you this, you can pump the frequency up but you CANNOT add cores! :wink:

Also, there are plenty multithreded games on the way. See supreme commander, Alan Wake, UT 2007, Half Life 2: Episode 2 and 3, Crisis to name some!
Also keep in mind that there will be plenty games that will use the above Games graphics engines such as Source from Valve, Unreal Engine 3.0 and Crytek's engine 2.0.

Don't think of it. Even in some current games the quad wins and mind that it has LOWER frequency. See THG cpu chart! The X6800 is good but it's high clock won't save it for a long time.

Get the Quad. 8)

Supreme Commander uses all 4 cores of a quad core, if you are going to be running that game I would wait until the 8 core Quad X Duo Core Duos come out.
If the game is going to be sucking up all 4 of your cores, you will need extra cores to run XP or Vista in the background without suffering a big performance hit.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

PLEASE hElP
Strictly a gamer eh?

The QX6700 quad core is no gimmick, but at present it is too expensive. EX6800 is a great chip, but is also too expensive. :(

My suggestion... Check Tom's CPU Price/Performance comparisons. Buy a 6300, 6400, or 6600 and overclock it. :wink:

With the money that you save, go buy some more games. :D

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Parge.... you read teh Australian version of Atomic?? i'll never get Europeans :p. Anyway as it has been mentioned by that dada guy several times, go for the 4 cores. It is not a marketing gimick, however it will be a few months before you start to see any mainstream (ish) like release of multi threaded games, although when they do come out you will have a major boost in performance.

they cost to same so it is a not contest, go with the 4 cores, although you need to ask if that money could be better spent else where (make sure you have 4gb or ram or sumthing like that).

Publisher, just so you know the aero interface takes not hit in performance while playing games, vista sees that you are using a 3d intensive program and halts the aero rendering commands. however there will be performance hits in vista until they release some decent drivers.

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
Well, I don't know if prices are cheaper out in South Africa, but 1, I would wait until the prices drop in Q2 07

That doesn't show the two processors you are looking at, but the price would have to come down regardless.

If you have the money to blow now, I guess you could go ahead, but the money you save could buy a new motherboard, or more RAM, another video card, etc....the list goes on. You could use the money you save to buy a game or two.

So far as the merits of quad vs dual, yes, there are no games out at the moment that use quad cores. They will in future, but until one comes out, no one will know what the difference is between dual and quad. I've heard Valve is looking to update the Steam engine for multiple cores also. So if you are going to spend that amount of money....

For Vista, well, it is pretty much slower at running everything. And you MUST have at least 2GB of ram if you are going to bother. I would do a dual-boot install personally.

Centurion

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Go QX6700. X6800 is same price, you could get similar performance by buying a E6400/E6600 and OC it for less than half a X6800 (For that money I want quad). There is a small performance difference between the X6800 and QX6700 in terms of gaming, since the QX6700 is just two E6700 cores - benchmarks shows a few fps lower using the QX6700. Yes Yes I know there's not a lot of games optimized for quad (FOR NOW), but it will benefit when you're encoding High Def Content.

If you're gonna go dual core, might as well get a E6400/E6600 and OC for 1/3 the price of X6800.