Sign in with
Your question

QuadCORE is it worth it? or just a sales gimmic?

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2007 4:43:32 AM

Hey all, i was thinking of getting a new CPU, i got an XFX 8800GTX XXX and now i want to get Vista... but ive got an old p4 2.8gig... (zzzzzz) and i want to get a cpu that will keep me going for at least a year. Here in South Africa, the Intel EX6800 and the QX6700 are the same price. and i was wondering if the Quad core made any difference.. I AM STRICTLY A GAMER!!!! i finally got my 22" LCD for Christmas and NOW i want to PLAY!!!

PLEASE hElP
February 2, 2007 4:46:53 AM

If your JUST gaming on this machine quad core is completely useless to you, and it will be for a number of years.
February 2, 2007 5:13:36 AM

But they are the same price. This is just silly. Get the quad. When you do actually do something else with it like decrypt dvd's or whatever you'll be glad you did. Plus the Quad should have a better resale value...
Related resources
February 2, 2007 5:25:36 AM

Hell yes, Dade is totally right! Plus Supreme Commander is coded for 4 cores and you should see substantial gains in that game! Get the quad core! No contest!
a c 471 à CPUs
February 2, 2007 5:42:28 AM

I'm not going to debate the merits of dual or quad core, but you should read the following Anandtech article to determine for yourself if it is a good idea to upgrade to Windows Vista just for gaming.

Windows Vista Performance Guide
February 2, 2007 6:03:53 AM

Like I said in baron's vista thread, I'll stick to my win XP black edition. Looks very much like vista but just doesn't have the DX 10 support. (as far as I know). Haven't realy had it for very long and haven't been home to mess around with it.
February 2, 2007 6:50:41 AM

Quote:
Hey all, i was thinking of getting a new CPU, i got an XFX 8800GTX XXX and now i want to get Vista... but ive got an old p4 2.8gig... (zzzzzz) and i want to get a cpu that will keep me going for at least a year. Here in South Africa, the Intel EX6800 and the QX6700 are the same price. and i was wondering if the Quad core made any difference.. I AM STRICTLY A GAMER!!!! i finally got my 22" LCD for Christmas and NOW i want to PLAY!!!

PLEASE hElP

Will your mobo even SEE a Core 2 Duo? You didn't mention anything about a motherboard, so I'm assuming you're looking to use the P4 board. Look up your motherboard on it's company website and see if it'll recognize a Core 2 with a BIOS upgrade. Otherwise you're looking at a CPU/mobo/memory/PSU upgrade.
February 2, 2007 7:01:51 AM

Although you wont benefit from 4 cores atm, but in future you will, its worthy to get quad now, unless you plan another upgrade in a year or two - then get faster speed dual core now :wink:
February 2, 2007 7:08:57 AM

Quote:
Like I said in baron's vista thread, I'll stick to my win XP black edition. Looks very much like vista but just doesn't have the DX 10 support. (as far as I know). Haven't realy had it for very long and haven't been home to mess around with it.

I'm sticking with XP but I'm not getting a quadcore for the system I'm buying this summer. I'm getting two quadcores. I figure that is gonna future-proof me until 2010.
February 2, 2007 7:15:28 AM

*bastage*
you rich A$$ bazturd
*/bastage*

Wish I could afford a damn dual core. After I bent my driveshaft from too much horses upfront, I'm kinda low on the $$$. BMW driveshafts aint cheap.
February 2, 2007 9:09:38 AM

lol that why I will not go for bmw haha. I am Aiming for a 350 z turbo.

But right now I would stay with dual core untel quad core has a better use then suck up power when not needed.
February 2, 2007 9:14:25 AM

The list of quadcore optimised games is 0 bytes long. So, get a dualcore.
February 2, 2007 9:35:48 AM

You try dropping a 5l V12 engine in a 1989 E30 BMW...
February 2, 2007 10:06:14 AM

nono, ive got the asus striker extreme mobo
February 2, 2007 10:16:44 AM

are you people really that oblivious. okay, first of all if both cpu's are the same price, go with the quad core. As far as sucking up more power...he has an 8800gtx xxx. need i say more. really people, think before you post.
February 2, 2007 10:21:55 AM

HEY! I did suggest the damn Quad. Don't wanna fight just saying. I'm going home now before more complaining clients come in. I'm out.
February 2, 2007 10:23:19 AM

well you were excluded dade, :p 
February 2, 2007 11:04:28 AM

Get the Quad one. Don't get Vista until SP1 comes out and at least 10 Vista only games released. Same prize more cores. I am a big overclocker and i tell you this, you can pump the frequency up but you CANNOT add cores! :wink:

Also, there are plenty multithreded games on the way. See supreme commander, Alan Wake, UT 2007, Half Life 2: Episode 2 and 3, Crisis to name some!
Also keep in mind that there will be plenty games that will use the above Games graphics engines such as Source from Valve, Unreal Engine 3.0 and Crytek's engine 2.0.

Don't think of it. Even in some current games the quad wins and mind that it has LOWER frequency. See THG cpu chart! The X6800 is good but it's high clock won't save it for a long time.

Get the Quad. 8)
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2007 11:48:39 AM

Supreme Commander uses all 4 cores of a quad core, if you are going to be running that game I would wait until the 8 core Quad X Duo Core Duos come out.
If the game is going to be sucking up all 4 of your cores, you will need extra cores to run XP or Vista in the background without suffering a big performance hit.
February 2, 2007 12:04:36 PM

Quote:

PLEASE hElP

Strictly a gamer eh?

The QX6700 quad core is no gimmick, but at present it is too expensive. EX6800 is a great chip, but is also too expensive. :( 

My suggestion... Check Tom's CPU Price/Performance comparisons. Buy a 6300, 6400, or 6600 and overclock it. :wink:

With the money that you save, go buy some more games. :D 
February 2, 2007 12:05:23 PM

Parge.... you read teh Australian version of Atomic?? i'll never get Europeans :p . Anyway as it has been mentioned by that dada guy several times, go for the 4 cores. It is not a marketing gimick, however it will be a few months before you start to see any mainstream (ish) like release of multi threaded games, although when they do come out you will have a major boost in performance.

they cost to same so it is a not contest, go with the 4 cores, although you need to ask if that money could be better spent else where (make sure you have 4gb or ram or sumthing like that).

Publisher, just so you know the aero interface takes not hit in performance while playing games, vista sees that you are using a 3d intensive program and halts the aero rendering commands. however there will be performance hits in vista until they release some decent drivers.
February 2, 2007 12:11:34 PM

Quote:
The list of quadcore optimised games is 0 bytes long. So, get a dualcore.

So... how many games are optimized for dual core? Not many. Using this logic, should he get a single core? 8O :wink:
February 2, 2007 12:12:34 PM

Well, I don't know if prices are cheaper out in South Africa, but 1, I would wait until the prices drop in Q2 07

That doesn't show the two processors you are looking at, but the price would have to come down regardless.

If you have the money to blow now, I guess you could go ahead, but the money you save could buy a new motherboard, or more RAM, another video card, etc....the list goes on. You could use the money you save to buy a game or two.

So far as the merits of quad vs dual, yes, there are no games out at the moment that use quad cores. They will in future, but until one comes out, no one will know what the difference is between dual and quad. I've heard Valve is looking to update the Steam engine for multiple cores also. So if you are going to spend that amount of money....

For Vista, well, it is pretty much slower at running everything. And you MUST have at least 2GB of ram if you are going to bother. I would do a dual-boot install personally.

Centurion
February 2, 2007 12:35:43 PM

Go QX6700. X6800 is same price, you could get similar performance by buying a E6400/E6600 and OC it for less than half a X6800 (For that money I want quad). There is a small performance difference between the X6800 and QX6700 in terms of gaming, since the QX6700 is just two E6700 cores - benchmarks shows a few fps lower using the QX6700. Yes Yes I know there's not a lot of games optimized for quad (FOR NOW), but it will benefit when you're encoding High Def Content.

If you're gonna go dual core, might as well get a E6400/E6600 and OC for 1/3 the price of X6800.
February 2, 2007 12:39:49 PM

Get a rig that has a proven quad-core upgrade path out today. Get a Core 2 Duo. Then in a year or more when games start to be highly multi-threaded pick up a quad-core proc on the cheap. You'll save money!
February 2, 2007 1:04:31 PM

Wtf are you telling him?
According to your logic he'll wait forever.
Bah, i suppose you're joking right?

Btw, the processor name you said is messed up! :?
February 2, 2007 1:24:23 PM

Isn't Unreal07 working better on a quad?
Isn't Valve upgrading their source engine (CSS fot example..) to support the new Quads?'
Or.. ?
February 2, 2007 1:28:25 PM

This should be edited for a poll. If it doesn't I say quad. My god people who say get the X6800?!?!? The difference in stock isn't all that different and unless your going for records you can overclock quit well with the Qx6700.
February 2, 2007 1:43:21 PM

Absolutly right, Valve is already demo'ing Episode 2, UT3 is supposed to be multicore and Alan Wake is specifically designed for Quad core. All of Valves recent work has been towards Quad and how can you think besides all of the developers Quads aren't going to be used at all. I don't think many more cores will be used than this though any time soon.

I also know that Crysis will not be Quad core optimised. In one of the first Hexus interview video's, a developer was asked that question and it was a no.
February 2, 2007 2:04:05 PM

As STRICTLY A GAMER! I'd have to say it probably is not worth your money right now. IF you have wads of cash and can afford it without hesitation go for it. Some future games will be more multi-threaded in nature. Currently however and for the near future most games will be lucky to take good advantage of a 2 core system and many that have been in development for a while still will be mainly single threaded.

If you used apps regularly that you KNEW used multiple threads, over 2, then I'd say jump on it. Right now, again depending on YOUR money situation it might be better to get a good C2D like the e6600 now and when the quads are more widely used, and likely cheaper, then upgrade to one. Thats what I'd do if I only played games and had to have something right now.
February 2, 2007 2:05:50 PM

The dual core is higher at stock and overclocks higher than the quad.
My guess is that we won't see a significant number of games where a lower clocked quad outperforms a higher clocked dual for another couple of years.
February 2, 2007 2:08:58 PM

Yes they both do. That's why i suggested him the quad! :D 
So? What's your point?
February 2, 2007 2:25:29 PM

I disagree. Couple of years?! I mean HL's Episode 2 is expected in August and UT 2007 around December. If he is to spend that kind of money then Quad Core is the best. I agree that he could save his money and take a 6600 which still will be great but telling that X6800 is the best deal at the same price with the quad is suicide!! The quad still performs great with current games and some times bests the 6800. You people don't read previous posts before responding? Just check the freaking CPU charts!
February 2, 2007 2:26:39 PM

Quote:
Yes they both do. That's why i suggested him the quad! :D 
So? What's your point?

My point? My point is that a gamer (FPS that is...) will benefit from the quad since those two engines are going to use the quad from now on :9.
February 2, 2007 2:35:35 PM

Well i agree with your point. You posted to me like like i was telling against it. That's why i asked your point. :) 
So the mess cleared and we agree!

Peace.
February 2, 2007 2:50:59 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Couple of years?! I mean HL's Episode 2 is expected in August and UT 2007 around December. If he is to spend that kind of money then Quad Core is the best. I agree that he could save his money and take a 6600 which still will be great but telling that X6800 is the best deal at the same price with the quad is suicide!! The quad still performs great with current games and some times bests the 6800. You people don't read previous posts before responding? Just check the freaking CPU charts!

Yes, and?
First, i said a "significant number" of games, not just a couple.
Second, do you have any idea how well those games will perform on a quad core VS dual core?
Just because a game is multithreaded, doesn't mean a linear scaling of performance with the number of cores.
Coarse-grained multithreading is what you're probably gonna see first (because it's 10x easier to develop and debug than fine-grained multithreading), so you'll have one heavy thread doing geometry and another doing physics, but the other threads will likely be lightweight and leave Core 3&4 vastly under-used.
Some people are "early adopters" and will just get whatever new technology comes as soon as it's launched to the market.
Still, most new technologies tend to be worthwhile only after they have been available for a certain amount of time.
Think about every new DirectX revision and the graphics card which support it..
I still remember when "32 bit rendering" was introduced by the Riva TNT.. and used in games only 2 generations later.
Or T&L with the GeForce256.
Still, people queued for a week to get a PS3 or Xbox360 at launch day, and bought an 8800GTX because Crysis supposedly will come out at the end of the year... :roll: (note: of course it's also the fastest card available today)
February 2, 2007 2:55:37 PM

Oh, i forgot..
Can "you people" reference "some times" when the QX6700 "bests the 6800" in current games?
February 2, 2007 3:21:03 PM

Well i admit you are right. It only bests it by a large margin in 3d Mark 2006.
The difference in games at favor of 6800 isn't huge but it is there.
You are also right with the core load balance not being optimal. But even then, would you trade two more cores for 400mhz? I like to always have the hardware to meet the need of high quality gaming. I would take the quad only for Half Life. But consider it, we talking about the same price. In my opinion the quad is better. You might not agree but i respect that. You proved your point and i wish all people that come around and suggest ''this'' and ''that'' would know as much as you and me.

Peace. 8)
February 2, 2007 3:31:45 PM

Quote:
lol that why I will not go for bmw haha. I am Aiming for a 350 z turbo.

But right now I would stay with dual core untel quad core has a better use then suck up power when not needed.

there is no stock turbo 350z....you have to put one in after market...you better off getting a supercharger....PS I have a 350z.

If your only going to game and thats it you wont get any gains form the quad core. if your going to rip DVD ect...thena quad core is the way to go.
February 2, 2007 4:59:28 PM

Peace. :) 
And BTW.. personally i'd buy the quad. ;) 
But that's also because gaming is not my main concern :p 
February 2, 2007 7:12:26 PM

Quote:
*bastage*
you rich A$$ bazturd
*/bastage*

Wish I could afford a damn dual core. After I bent my driveshaft from too much horses upfront, I'm kinda low on the $$$. BMW driveshafts aint cheap.

Do you have any idea how many 7/11s I'm gonna have to hold up to get the money to buy that system???

Quote:

I know a guy who shoehorned a Chev 350 V8 in a Smart ForTwo! And I think you're both crazy! :lol: 
February 4, 2007 6:27:45 PM

Id get the quad, more cores means you can do more things at the same time, including gaming, and it would future proof you.
February 5, 2007 2:52:32 AM

Quote:
*bastage*
you rich A$$ bazturd
*/bastage*

Do you have any idea how many 7/11s I'm gonna have to hold up to get the money to buy that system???

Quote:

I know a guy who shoehorned a Chev 350 V8 in a Smart ForTwo! And I think you're both crazy! :lol: The only thing I'm crazy for (except women) is all that power. Just had to reinforce the thing, but I slipped up.
February 5, 2007 6:20:19 AM

Quote:
The only thing I'm crazy for (except women) is all that power. Just had to reinforce the thing, but I slipped up.

Well you know what they say about the clinical connection between men who seek power and the size of their p***ses... :lol: 

Remind me to send ya a pic of me in my 1977 Cadillac Eldorado with an 8L V8. Not only did it fly on the highway, but it could pull redwood stumps out of the ground. And all for a very economical 8mpg! :D 
February 5, 2007 6:34:40 AM

Quote:
The only thing I'm crazy for (except women) is all that power. Just had to reinforce the thing, but I slipped up.

Well you know what they say about the clinical connection between men who seek power and the size of their p***ses... :lol: 

Remind me to send ya a pic of me in my 1977 Cadillac Eldorado with an 8L V8. Not only did it fly on the highway, but it could pull redwood stumps out of the ground. And all for a very economical 8mpg! :D I had a '76. What an awesome car. Gorgeous leather/wood trimmed interior. Could roast the front tires. :D  It would do ~130 m.p.h. I would wind out that poor 501...60mph in first, 95-100 in second. :D  I even outran the cops in a 15 mile chase(p*ss drunk) that started on the highway. Speeds exceeded 120, and they never got within 1000 feet of me. (the good ole days..'86). :wink:
February 5, 2007 6:46:12 AM

Quote:
I had a '76. What an awesome car. Gorgeous leather/wood trimmed interior. Could roast the front tires. :D  It would do ~130 m.p.h. I would wind out that poor 501...60mph in first, 95-100 in second. :D  I even outran the cops in a 15 mile chase(p*ss drunk) that started on the highway. Speeds exceeded 120, and they never got within 1000 feet of me. (the good ole days..'86). :wink:

Whoooooooooeeeeeeeee... Hi there, fellow Eldo Fan! They were amazing cars, weren't they? You could lie down flat in the back seat. The next best vehicle to a motor home for GETTIN' DOWN!

I had my Eldo in Florida, and had a Disney World Passport so I'd take the 40 mile drive down I4 almost every weekend in that car. It was as much fun getting to Disney as it was being at Disney!

So I take it that the OPP is still lookin' for ya, huh? I had a fun experience with Ontario cops about 25 years ago. I had a Lotus Elan and this guy with this hotrod Camaro pulls up next to me on the Gardiner Expressway at 2 am. He pulls forward so it's RACE ON. We're flying (literally... over the big HUMP at the Humber River Bridge) flat out until we get to near Spadina. He pulls even with me, puts on his Metro Toronto Police cap and pulls me over. NOT FAIR!!!!

The cop was rather fair and gave me a warning. I gave him a warning too! Seemed equitable!!! :lol: 
February 5, 2007 7:07:21 AM

Quote:
I had a '76. What an awesome car. Gorgeous leather/wood trimmed interior. Could roast the front tires. :D  It would do ~130 m.p.h. I would wind out that poor 501...60mph in first, 95-100 in second. :D  I even outran the cops in a 15 mile chase(p*ss drunk) that started on the highway. Speeds exceeded 120, and they never got within 1000 feet of me. (the good ole days..'86). :wink:

Whoooooooooeeeeeeeee... Hi there, fellow Eldo Fan! They were amazing cars, weren't they? You could lie down flat in the back seat. The next best vehicle to a motor home for GETTIN' DOWN!

I had my Eldo in Florida, and had a Disney World Passport so I'd take the 40 mile drive down I4 almost every weekend in that car. It was as much fun getting to Disney as it was being at Disney!

So I take it that the OPP is still lookin' for ya, huh? I had a fun experience with Ontario cops about 25 years ago. I had a Lotus Elan and this guy with this hotrod Camaro pulls up next to me on the Gardiner Expressway at 2 am. He pulls forward so it's RACE ON. We're flying (literally... over the big HUMP at the Humber River Bridge) flat out until we get to near Spadina. He pulls even with me, puts on his Metro Toronto Police cap and pulls me over. NOT FAIR!!!!

The cop was rather fair and gave me a warning. I gave him a warning too! Seemed equitable!!! :lol: I could sleep under the dash...on the floor in front of the seats(no driveshaft hump)with room, and i was 5'11 225lbs. 8) That machine had power-everything imaginable. Everyone wanted to party in my car... :p  Did i mention that it's a miracle i made it to 41...going on 42? LOL.
February 5, 2007 8:33:23 AM

Quote:
I could sleep under the dash...on the floor in front of the seats(no driveshaft hump)with room, and i was 5'11 225lbs. 8) That machine had power-everything imaginable. Everyone wanted to party in my car... :p  Did i mention that it's a miracle i made it to 41...going on 42? LOL.

Let's see how my miracles stack up with yours:

1) Made a perfect 79 foot jump on a Yamaha XT500. Trouble was the ramp was 80 feet away.

2) Slid out of a freeway offramp (the QEW in your neck of the woods) on a Honda CB350Four and used power hand brake. Then had to pick all the bits of gravel out of the flap where my palm was and hold it together with electrical tape.

3) Took a NJ Turnpike sweeper at 110 mph in a 79 Camaro on black ice. Stopped when a tree smashed into the driver's door bending the entire car by 20 degrees.

4) Raced a Yamaha RD350 flat out on a straight when the front wheel came off.

5) Drove a Honda Civic on the highway when the rear wheel came off.

6) Jumped a Honda CR250 on a motocross course and mid-air collided with an RM250 going the wrong way.

7) Passed a Kenworth and cut back in front of him on a Harley FLH when the electrical system went dead and stalled the bike.

8 ) Drove on a curvy mountain road in Scotland and was enjoying the scenery so much I unconsciously defaulted back to driving on the "American" side just in time to see the grille of a "Petrol Lorry" 50 feet from my face.

and last but not least:

9) Rallied a Lancia when my idiot navigator told me to take a wrong turn and I ended up driving the car all the way down the steps of a Roman amphitheatre.

There were also lots of adventures that involved ladies in various stages of disrobing, but if you don't count the STDs transmitted, none of those were lifethreatening. 8)
February 5, 2007 11:36:47 AM

in short, the moral of his story is to get the quad core! :p 
!