Sign in with
Your question

DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout

Last response: in Overclocking
February 2, 2007 4:54:55 AM
February 2, 2007 5:03:55 AM

Since i forgot to say it on the blog: Thanks for the review!

The only problem is that my 12 gram tube of AS5 is useless now, X23 is the best of the best. It still baffles me how X23 isnt more well known...
February 2, 2007 5:10:28 AM

*Shrugs* Chalk it up as another one of those unexplained mysteries. Hold it down here till Dario and 3lf get here. I'm going to nod off. Its 2:10 AM.
Related resources
February 2, 2007 5:16:16 AM

Its only 11:12 where i am, and im going to be up for the next 3 days anyway. Im listening to every episode of my favorite podcast from start to finish, nonstop. 60 episodes. 3 days. No sleep. Will i survive? I hope i do, i didnt make it the first time (back in late june), and i only had to stay up for 1.7 days that time. If i fail this time podcast forum disgrace will follow.
February 2, 2007 5:34:53 AM

Masscool looks... 'cool'. Can't get it in AUS, so no benefit. I CAN get peanut butter, but you neglected to test it...

Great review. I'll patiently await the other results.
February 2, 2007 6:41:13 AM

Where can I get this Shin Etsu thermal paste? I wanna try it over my AS5.

And thanks guys for the time consuming efforts. No doubt this is one trustworthy review.

:) 
February 2, 2007 6:44:35 AM

Thanks for the hard work Ninja. I just want everyone to know that DaClan has a few more reviews coming over the next few months, so stay tuned.
February 2, 2007 6:49:22 AM

Quote:
Masscool looks... 'cool'. Can't get it in AUS, so no benefit. I CAN get peanut butter, but you neglected to test it...

I have tried the peanut butter (Skippy) and it worked but I'm sure not for a long term use. Anyways, it has acceptable temps, AS5 got 30-32c idle w/ 37c full load and peanut butter got 38c w/ 45c full load and smells really yummy at the same time. Almost tempted the stupid cat to go inside the case. By the ways the system I test is 840 smithfield on water cooling.

I almost tried the jelly, since I love peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. But the jelly has water and might drip down to my video cards when cpu would be at full use. So that got aborted.

Anyways, I'm looking for this Shi Etsu and hopefully will give my better results.
February 2, 2007 7:06:39 AM

Quote:

I have tried the peanut butter (Skippy) and it worked but I'm sure not for a long term use. Anyways, it has acceptable temps, AS5 got 30-32c idle w/ 37c full load and peanut butter got 38c w/ 45c full load and smells really yummy at the same time. Almost tempted the stupid cat to go inside the case. By the ways the system I test is 840 smithfield on water cooling.

I almost tried the jelly, since I love peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. But the jelly has water and might drip down to my video cards when cpu would be at full use. So that got aborted.

Anyways, I'm looking for this Shi Etsu and hopefully will give my better results.

I am also now looking for this wonder HS compound... But DaSickNinja promised a review that included peanut butter. Well sort-of. :wink:
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2007 7:10:19 AM

Excellent study, very professional, well done. :trophy: What was it like to install and uninstall the Intel HSF dozens of times? :lol:  Break any legs? :lol: 
February 2, 2007 7:12:01 AM

Yeah, i highly doubt Masscool payed off DaNinja to alter his test results.

Shin-Estu is available on newegg, here.
February 2, 2007 7:21:01 AM

Nice. I'm ordering this comes Monday and will test it for myself.
February 2, 2007 7:24:24 AM

Very interesting review, thank you! :D 
February 2, 2007 9:05:05 AM

Quote:
one idea for the review.

good job by the way!

my only idea is maybe putting down the case fan numbers and configurations as well as the cpu HSF. and also documenting the speads the proc and case fans were running at to achieve the temps posted

I did the tests open air with th motherboard to in a case. Fan speed was set to max constant.

@CompuTronix
I have my methods.. for one, having multiple stock coolers helps quite a lot.
February 2, 2007 9:20:03 AM

Thanks Ninja! I must choose from AS5, artic ceramique and Coolaboratory Liquid Pro. The others are not available where i live. :(  I think i'll go with Coolaboratory Liquid Pro and be sust fine .
February 2, 2007 9:27:32 AM

Quote:

What about Vegemite? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Can they get it in the U.S.A.?
February 2, 2007 1:34:17 PM

Ive actually never had Vegemite, and ive always wanted to try it. Im sure i can find it around here in san francisco, and i guess i could buy a P4 805 or P4 631 to see how high i can oc it with Vegemite before the cpu just burns up and dies. Or i just chicken out and decide its had enough.
February 2, 2007 2:19:57 PM

Great job, everyone on the fourmz owes DaClan THIS!
February 2, 2007 2:35:01 PM

Quote:
Since i forgot to say it on the blog: Thanks for the review!

The only problem is that my 12 gram tube of AS5 is useless now, X23 is the best of the best. It still baffles me how X23 isnt more well known...

I'm surprised as any how Shin-Etsu isn't more popular among enthusiasts. I even commented on another post the other day how I used it changing from stock cooling to my new Zalman 9500 for my P4. I not only dropped 10C+ from idle and load temps on my cpu but also saw about a 3-4C drop from the intel paste that came with my cpu.

Its awesome stuff. As for where to get it, eh its something I haven't had to worry about yet, one of our outside vendors where I work gives me a free syringe of it about every 1-3 weeks. I have about 20 syringes of the sweet stuff now :)  And each syringe has enough applications for probably 6-8 cpus/gpus easily. I'm set for life practically. :) 
February 2, 2007 2:40:19 PM

Good review. Glad you included the Shin-Etsu, been my fave paste for quite a while, plus I get it free lol. I was thinking of trying the Coollaboratory liquid pro. Had heard great things about it but I see now that my choice of Shin-Etsu will remain for the time being as my main paste.

Concise and to the point. Great.
February 2, 2007 3:17:38 PM

Thanks for this Ninja... you did a great job with the reporting...

~Cheers
February 2, 2007 5:41:19 PM

Possibly, might be a bit hard to find though. Same with Marmite. (personally I don't like either... Too salty)
February 2, 2007 5:41:20 PM

Shin-Etsu X23-7762 and G751 are not the same stuff. At least according to this old XtremeSystems forum post. The G751 is thicker and appears to work better on rough and non-lapped surfaces, whereas the X23-7762 works extremely well on smooth and lapped surfaces. They also have a link to a handy guide on a method of applying the G751 on the amdforums as well as some tips on applying the X23-7762 using some of the G751 methods.

Apparently the user GBR sells X23-7762 to users on the amdforums and XtremeSystems forums. You can also buy it from CrazyPC for $12 landed. It's available in the UK from Chillblast for £6.99 inc. VAT.
February 2, 2007 5:57:08 PM

I should have clarified that. Thanks for the correction.
February 2, 2007 6:14:27 PM

DAMN! I already put my order in for the G751, and the credit card thing has already gone through, so i cant change the order. Eh, screw it, ill just beat the shit out of the base of my tuniq tower 120.
February 2, 2007 6:17:07 PM

Or you could just sneak another $20 order in... (^u^)
February 2, 2007 7:08:42 PM

Quote:
Ive actually never had Vegemite, and ive always wanted to try it. Im sure i can find it around here in san francisco, and i guess i could buy a P4 805 or P4 631 to see how high i can oc it with Vegemite before the cpu just burns up and dies. Or i just chicken out and decide its had enough.

Just throw it on nice & thick :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: [/jk'n]

Apply it like thermal paste, nice and thin. It's potent stuff. :lol: 

As for testing, get an old secondhand celery and fry that sucker :lol:  :twisted:

Quote:
Possibly, might be a bit hard to find though. Same with Marmite. (personally I don't like either... Too salty)

I remember the fake stories about the US govt. banning it. :lol: 
I only like it in small occasional dose's myself.
February 2, 2007 8:25:59 PM

What method did you use to apply that Shin Etsu?
February 2, 2007 8:49:10 PM

I spread it using the heat sink since the stuff was so viscous.
February 2, 2007 9:22:56 PM

Congrats on a job well done (no-one is paying you, so I don't know what to call it, for sure).
DaClan-It's like having those elves helping santa here.
February 2, 2007 11:12:23 PM

good review/test.

i think im going to get some of that shitzu stuff :lol: 
February 2, 2007 11:16:26 PM

damn just checked and new egg is out of stock :cry: 

oh well ill get some later.

i lost my as5 and have been using the white stuff.
but i will try some of the masscool shitzu paste.
as soon as i can get it.
February 2, 2007 11:38:29 PM

Nicely done gentlemen. Somewhat surprised at the results, glad AS5 is finally officially dethroned.
February 2, 2007 11:47:57 PM

Quote:

Peanut butter doesn't work well in my estimation. It starts to heat and then I get sudden cravings for a P&J sandwithch.
February 3, 2007 12:11:37 AM

Much thanks to everyone that has given us support and we encourage everyone to drop in and comment on the issue, especially seeing that AS5 is the default TIM that everyone recommends. And if you are wondeirng why most of us aren't here, check the blog....

Me, though, I'll still be around. I can't play CS:S tonight cause double majoring is a biatch.
February 3, 2007 12:13:45 AM

Quote:
Much thanks to everyone that has given us support and we encourage everyone to drop in and comment on the issue, especially seeing that AS5 is the default TIM that everyone recommends. And if you are wondeirng why most of us aren't here, check the blog....

Me, though, I'll still be around. I can't play CS:S tonight cause double majoring is a biatch.

im downloading cs.s now but it is slow going. :cry: 
February 3, 2007 12:18:06 AM

I think this review caused the G751 to go out of stock, they where in stock this morning, and all of last night, and now there out of stock.
February 3, 2007 12:22:13 AM

yeah ill try to get some of that.

the as5 doesnt impress me, never has.

if the shitzu stuff will drop my temp by atleast 2c, ill take it :lol: 
February 3, 2007 1:04:05 AM

CrazyPC.com has the Shin-Etsu X23 in stock at the moment. Get it while it lasts guys. hehe
February 3, 2007 1:26:48 AM

I'm confused... I've never seen AS Ceramique out perform AS5... you did allow for the week long burn in right?
February 3, 2007 1:33:06 AM

Quote:

All of you did a really good job with this. I learned more than I expected. I'm not going to pop off the heatsink right away and replace the Artic Silver 5, but I know what to buy the next time and what not to waste money on. You saved a lot of trial and error for me and everyone who bothers to read your research.
February 3, 2007 1:37:06 AM

Quote:
I'm confused... I've never seen AS Ceramique out perform AS5... you did allow for the week long burn in right?

... Yes. I'm deadly sure.
February 3, 2007 1:37:58 AM

Quote:

All of you did a really good job with this. I learned more than I expected. I'm not going to pop off the heatsink right away and replace the Artic Silver 5, but I know what to buy the next time and what not to waste money on. You saved a lot of trial and error for me and everyone who bothers to read your research.
Thats the point of our work. Our motto is "We test the crap so you don't have to"
February 3, 2007 1:40:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the hard work Ninja. I just want everyone to know that DaClan has a few more reviews coming over the next few months, so stay tuned.

Try to make that "weeks" :D 
February 3, 2007 1:45:42 AM

Quote:

... Yes. I'm deadly sure.

Well I can believe that I just really wish I knew why some reviews have AS5 beating it.... doesn't make a ton of sense to me... like here (the first link that reviewed as5 and ceramique I could google)... any clues as to what causes these variations?
February 3, 2007 1:48:48 AM

They used a different cooler than we did, and there could be other variables too, but I cross referenced the results with a respected source, and he confirms each result as what he expected. And just to let you know, those results are averages, meaning we had AS-C consistently beating the AS-5
February 3, 2007 1:54:31 AM

Argh... so then for me to ever really know what will do best on my system i'd have to find a review where they used my heatsink.. well if I was going to be picky at least.... it just sucks I ordered a tube of AS5 :( 

but it did arrive in less than 24 hours... I wish that counted for something
February 3, 2007 1:58:27 AM

Quote:
Argh... so then for me to ever really know what will do best on my system i'd have to find a review where they used my heatsink.. well if I was going to be picky at least.... it just sucks I ordered a tube of AS5 :( 

but it did arrive in less than 24 hours... I wish that counted for something

as5 is good paste.
its just not the best out there.
February 3, 2007 1:59:30 AM

Its not a totally bad paste. It just doesn't deserve all the hype that it gets. Most of the time people compare it to the stock TIM and then conclude that since it pwns the Intel TIM, it must pwn every other TIM out there, if they know about any other TIM. Most of the serious overclockers I know don't even bother with AS5 or goops similar and only use silicon grease.
February 3, 2007 2:04:08 AM

Well my real issue is I have both AS5 and ceramique.... and now I have no clue what to use :?
!