Where is CD key?

I bought NWN for the Mac several months ago (last Spring if I remember
right). I installed it at the time, but never really got into it.

Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
since I now have some free time.

When I first go to run it after the install, it asks for a CD Key. Not
all the unusual -- but I can't find the key? Usually programs with such
a key have it on a label stuck to the CD case. Unless I am totally
blind, or it is camoflaged, it ain't there.

Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

Burt Johnson wrote:

> Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
> office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
> itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.

I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.

Kish wrote:
> Burt Johnson wrote:
>

>>Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
>>office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
>>itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.
>

> I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.

Inside front cover. :)

Burt Johnson wrote:
> Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
> last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
> since I now have some free time.

If you still have your old Mac, or the files (image or something
similar), there might be a file in your NWN install that has your CD
key.

IIRC, the PC version of NWN had the manual in PDF on the CD. I'd be
surprised if the Mac version didn't have something similar.

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> Kish wrote:
> > Burt Johnson wrote:
> >

> >>Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
> >>office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
> >>itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.
> >

> > I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.
>
> Inside front cover. :)

Bummer. Quick look didn't find the manual. I've got literally hundreds
of manuals though, and I never really came up with any kind of
organization for them.

What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
rack?

I have a database of every program serial number for every program I
have purchased in the last decade. It has 415 entries on the Mac page
and 72 on the PC page. Why the heck this one isn't there is a
mystery... :-(

Oh well, I suppose without the manual, I would have likely had a hard
time getting started with the game anyway.

--

Burt Johnson <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

> > > I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.
> >
> > Inside front cover. :)
>
> Bummer. Quick look didn't find the manual. I've got literally hundreds
> of manuals though, and I never really came up with any kind of
> organization for them.
>
> What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
> spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
> of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
> rack?

I would still like to hear the description of the manual, so I can maybe
find it on my shelf somewhere. However, I went looking for a "no CD
crack" and found a serial number at a warez site. I've never looked at
those before, and was amazed at what I found. What is the rationale for
those sites? They can't be making any money, and it must cost a bunch
to run them...?

Oh well, I snuck onto the dark side to get the serial number. Now if I
can find the manual in my mess of bookracks, maybe I'll be able to
figure out how to play. :)

--

Burt Johnson wrote:

> What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
> spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
> of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
> rack?

Erm, well, if it's like the PC version, it should stand out quite
distinctively because of being spiral-bound and quite thick. (No
letters on the spine because no true spine, spiral binding.) If. I'm
afraid I don't know about the Mac version for sure, though.

Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Burt Johnson wrote:
>
> > What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
> > spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
> > of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
> > rack?
>
> Erm, well, if it's like the PC version, it should stand out quite
> distinctively because of being spiral-bound and quite thick. (No
> letters on the spine because no true spine, spiral binding.) If. I'm
> afraid I don't know about the Mac version for sure, though.

Spiral binding is much cheaper than "perfect binding" (the ones with the
printing on the spine), so I doubt the Mac manual would have had a
different binding.

Unfortunately, I can quickly scan for spiral bound manuals, did it, and
don't find the manual... :-(

How much you wanna bet it shows up about 5 minutes after I give up and
buy a new copy of the game to get the manual? :)

--

Burt Johnson wrote:
> I bought NWN for the Mac several months ago (last Spring if I remember
> right). I installed it at the time, but never really got into it.
>
> Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
> last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
> since I now have some free time.
>
> When I first go to run it after the install, it asks for a CD Key. Not
> all the unusual -- but I can't find the key? Usually programs with such
> a key have it on a label stuck to the CD case. Unless I am totally
> blind, or it is camoflaged, it ain't there.
>
> Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
> office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
> itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.

My CD key is located behind the 2 CD's in the Jewel Case.. But I have
the Premium/Deluxe/somethingsomething version...

Mikael

In article <1gpfoit.1fp3rrdyzh66N%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>, Burt Johnson
<burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

> Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > Burt Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
> > > spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
> > > of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
> > > rack?
> >
> [snip]

The Mac manual is spiral bound (of the sort with the loops in pairs)
using black wire. The covers are predominantly black. It's about 7
inches high, 4.5 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick.

HTH,
Richard.

<alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Burt Johnson wrote:
> > Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
> > last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
> > since I now have some free time.
>
> If you still have your old Mac, or the files (image or something
> similar), there might be a file in your NWN install that has your CD
> key.
>
> IIRC, the PC version of NWN had the manual in PDF on the CD. I'd be
> surprised if the Mac version didn't have something similar.

That would make sense, but I don't see one. I haven't looked on the CDs
themselves (other than to install the game), but in checking the
installed NWN directory, there is no PDF file or 'manual' directory.

The 'NWN - Disk 2' that is currently installed in the CD slot only has
one file on it -- "NWN2 Installer"

--

Mikael Schøler <QM3mik_s@tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

> My CD key is located behind the 2 CD's in the Jewel Case.. But I have
> the Premium/Deluxe/somethingsomething version...

Interesting place to hide it. :)

I just checked though, and there is nothing between the CDs, which are
mounted on opposite sides of a single flip layer in a dual CD case.

Doesn't matter too much at this point though. Did some searching and
came up with a phony key that works. Though I'd like to find my own
key, since I am able to play, I guess that isn't really all that
important at this point.

Seems overkill to me -- requiring BOTH a CD key and a CD inserted in the
drive... :-(

--

Burt Johnson wrote:
> <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>If you still have your old Mac, or the files (image or something
>>similar), there might be a file in your NWN install that has your CD
>>key.
>>
>>IIRC, the PC version of NWN had the manual in PDF on the CD. I'd be
>>surprised if the Mac version didn't have something similar.
>

> That would make sense, but I don't see one. I haven't looked on the CDs
> themselves (other than to install the game), but in checking the
> installed NWN directory, there is no PDF file or 'manual' directory.

On a PC, the CD keys are stored in cdkey.ini in the main NWN directory.
Manuals are stored in the /docs subdirectory.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

> On a PC, the CD keys are stored in cdkey.ini in the main NWN directory.
> Manuals are stored in the /docs subdirectory.

On the Mac, there is a 'nwncdkey.ini' which probably has the CD key.
There is no 'docs' or 'manual' or other similar folder though for the
pdf user manual.

--

Burt Johnson wrote:
> Mikael Schøler <QM3mik_s@tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
>

>>My CD key is located behind the 2 CD's in the Jewel Case.. But I have
>>the Premium/Deluxe/somethingsomething version...
>

> Interesting place to hide it. :)
>
> I just checked though, and there is nothing between the CDs, which are
> mounted on opposite sides of a single flip layer in a dual CD case.
>
> Doesn't matter too much at this point though. Did some searching and
> came up with a phony key that works. Though I'd like to find my own
> key, since I am able to play, I guess that isn't really all that
> important at this point.
>
> Seems overkill to me -- requiring BOTH a CD key and a CD inserted in the
> drive... :-(

Yup very interesting place.. It took me a day and an email to the store
saying that I had no cd-keys, before I found that out..

On 2004-12-27 08:15:13 -0800, Richard Buckle <richardb@sailmaker.co.uk> said:

> In article <1gpfoit.1fp3rrdyzh66N%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>, Burt Johnson
> <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

>> [snip]
>
> The Mac manual is spiral bound (of the sort with the loops in pairs)
> using black wire. The covers are predominantly black. It's about 7
> inches high, 4.5 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick.
>
> HTH,
> Richard.

Look in the Neverwinter Nights folder for "nwncdkey.ini". Open it with
a text editor (not a word processor) and copy the number for your
records and SAVE it!

Carl Carter wrote:

> On 2004-12-27 08:15:13 -0800, Richard Buckle <richardb@sailmaker.co.uk>
> said:
>
>> In article <1gpfoit.1fp3rrdyzh66N%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>, Burt Johnson
>> <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>
>> The Mac manual is spiral bound (of the sort with the loops in pairs)
>> using black wire. The covers are predominantly black. It's about 7
>> inches high, 4.5 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Richard.
>
> Look in the Neverwinter Nights folder for "nwncdkey.ini". Open it with
> a text editor (not a word processor) and copy the number for your
> records and SAVE it!

It is on the inside cover of your game manual and is a 30 or 35 digit
sequence. But it is clearly marked as the key.

Deb