Where is CD key?

I bought NWN for the Mac several months ago (last Spring if I remember
right). I installed it at the time, but never really got into it.

Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
since I now have some free time.

When I first go to run it after the install, it asks for a CD Key. Not
all the unusual -- but I can't find the key? Usually programs with such
a key have it on a label stuck to the CD case. Unless I am totally
blind, or it is camoflaged, it ain't there.

Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

    Burt Johnson wrote:

    > Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
    > office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
    > itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.

    I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.

    Kish wrote:
    > Burt Johnson wrote:
    >

    >>Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
    >>office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
    >>itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.
    >

    > I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.

    Inside front cover. :)

    Burt Johnson wrote:
    > Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
    > last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
    > since I now have some free time.

    If you still have your old Mac, or the files (image or something
    similar), there might be a file in your NWN install that has your CD
    key.

    IIRC, the PC version of NWN had the manual in PDF on the CD. I'd be
    surprised if the Mac version didn't have something similar.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    > Kish wrote:
    > > Burt Johnson wrote:
    > >

    > >>Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
    > >>office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
    > >>itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.
    > >

    > > I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.
    >
    > Inside front cover. :)

    Bummer. Quick look didn't find the manual. I've got literally hundreds
    of manuals though, and I never really came up with any kind of
    organization for them.

    What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
    spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
    of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
    rack?

    I have a database of every program serial number for every program I
    have purchased in the last decade. It has 415 entries on the Mac page
    and 72 on the PC page. Why the heck this one isn't there is a
    mystery... :-(

    Oh well, I suppose without the manual, I would have likely had a hard
    time getting started with the game anyway.

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Burt Johnson <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

    > > > I believe it's on the back of the game manual. Good luck.
    > >
    > > Inside front cover. :)
    >
    > Bummer. Quick look didn't find the manual. I've got literally hundreds
    > of manuals though, and I never really came up with any kind of
    > organization for them.
    >
    > What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
    > spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
    > of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
    > rack?

    I would still like to hear the description of the manual, so I can maybe
    find it on my shelf somewhere. However, I went looking for a "no CD
    crack" and found a serial number at a warez site. I've never looked at
    those before, and was amazed at what I found. What is the rationale for
    those sites? They can't be making any money, and it must cost a bunch
    to run them...?

    Oh well, I snuck onto the dark side to get the serial number. Now if I
    can find the manual in my mess of bookracks, maybe I'll be able to
    figure out how to play. :-)

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Burt Johnson wrote:

    > What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
    > spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
    > of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
    > rack?

    Erm, well, if it's like the PC version, it should stand out quite
    distinctively because of being spiral-bound and quite thick. (No
    letters on the spine because no true spine, spiral binding.) If. I'm
    afraid I don't know about the Mac version for sure, though.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

    > Burt Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
    > > spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
    > > of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
    > > rack?
    >
    > Erm, well, if it's like the PC version, it should stand out quite
    > distinctively because of being spiral-bound and quite thick. (No
    > letters on the spine because no true spine, spiral binding.) If. I'm
    > afraid I don't know about the Mac version for sure, though.

    Spiral binding is much cheaper than "perfect binding" (the ones with the
    printing on the spine), so I doubt the Mac manual would have had a
    different binding.

    Unfortunately, I can quickly scan for spiral bound manuals, did it, and
    don't find the manual... :-(

    How much you wanna bet it shows up about 5 minutes after I give up and
    buy a new copy of the game to get the manual? :-)

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Burt Johnson wrote:
    > I bought NWN for the Mac several months ago (last Spring if I remember
    > right). I installed it at the time, but never really got into it.
    >
    > Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
    > last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
    > since I now have some free time.
    >
    > When I first go to run it after the install, it asks for a CD Key. Not
    > all the unusual -- but I can't find the key? Usually programs with such
    > a key have it on a label stuck to the CD case. Unless I am totally
    > blind, or it is camoflaged, it ain't there.
    >
    > Where was the CD key for NWN placed? I need to know what to search my
    > office for... All I found in my scrounge last night was the CD case
    > itself (w/ 2 CDs) and a Quick Reference Card.

    My CD key is located behind the 2 CD's in the Jewel Case.. But I have
    the Premium/Deluxe/somethingsomething version...

    Mikael
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In article <1gpfoit.1fp3rrdyzh66N%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>, Burt Johnson
    <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

    > Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Burt Johnson wrote:
    > >
    > > > What does the manual look like? Specifically, does it have NWN on the
    > > > spine? That is, am I looking for a book that will stand out in a wall
    > > > of manuals, or is it one of those thin jobs that buries itself in the
    > > > rack?
    > >
    > [snip]

    The Mac manual is spiral bound (of the sort with the loops in pairs)
    using black wire. The covers are predominantly black. It's about 7
    inches high, 4.5 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick.

    HTH,
    Richard.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Burt Johnson wrote:
    > > Since that time, I got a new Mac and haven't looked at NWN. I decided
    > > last night to install it on this new computer and try the game again,
    > > since I now have some free time.
    >
    > If you still have your old Mac, or the files (image or something
    > similar), there might be a file in your NWN install that has your CD
    > key.
    >
    > IIRC, the PC version of NWN had the manual in PDF on the CD. I'd be
    > surprised if the Mac version didn't have something similar.

    That would make sense, but I don't see one. I haven't looked on the CDs
    themselves (other than to install the game), but in checking the
    installed NWN directory, there is no PDF file or 'manual' directory.

    The 'NWN - Disk 2' that is currently installed in the CD slot only has
    one file on it -- "NWN2 Installer"

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mikael Schøler <QM3mik_s@tdcadsl.dk> wrote:

    > My CD key is located behind the 2 CD's in the Jewel Case.. But I have
    > the Premium/Deluxe/somethingsomething version...

    Interesting place to hide it. :-)

    I just checked though, and there is nothing between the CDs, which are
    mounted on opposite sides of a single flip layer in a dual CD case.

    Doesn't matter too much at this point though. Did some searching and
    came up with a phony key that works. Though I'd like to find my own
    key, since I am able to play, I guess that isn't really all that
    important at this point.

    Seems overkill to me -- requiring BOTH a CD key and a CD inserted in the
    drive... :-(

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Burt Johnson wrote:
    > <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>If you still have your old Mac, or the files (image or something
    >>similar), there might be a file in your NWN install that has your CD
    >>key.
    >>
    >>IIRC, the PC version of NWN had the manual in PDF on the CD. I'd be
    >>surprised if the Mac version didn't have something similar.
    >

    > That would make sense, but I don't see one. I haven't looked on the CDs
    > themselves (other than to install the game), but in checking the
    > installed NWN directory, there is no PDF file or 'manual' directory.

    On a PC, the CD keys are stored in cdkey.ini in the main NWN directory.
    Manuals are stored in the /docs subdirectory.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Barry Scott Will <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

    > On a PC, the CD keys are stored in cdkey.ini in the main NWN directory.
    > Manuals are stored in the /docs subdirectory.

    On the Mac, there is a 'nwncdkey.ini' which probably has the CD key.
    There is no 'docs' or 'manual' or other similar folder though for the
    pdf user manual.

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Burt Johnson wrote:
    > Mikael Schøler <QM3mik_s@tdcadsl.dk> wrote:
    >

    >>My CD key is located behind the 2 CD's in the Jewel Case.. But I have
    >>the Premium/Deluxe/somethingsomething version...
    >

    > Interesting place to hide it. :-)
    >
    > I just checked though, and there is nothing between the CDs, which are
    > mounted on opposite sides of a single flip layer in a dual CD case.
    >
    > Doesn't matter too much at this point though. Did some searching and
    > came up with a phony key that works. Though I'd like to find my own
    > key, since I am able to play, I guess that isn't really all that
    > important at this point.
    >
    > Seems overkill to me -- requiring BOTH a CD key and a CD inserted in the
    > drive... :-(

    Yup very interesting place.. It took me a day and an email to the store
    saying that I had no cd-keys, before I found that out..
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On 2004-12-27 08:15:13 -0800, Richard Buckle <richardb@sailmaker.co.uk> said:

    > In article <1gpfoit.1fp3rrdyzh66N%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>, Burt Johnson
    > <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

    >> [snip]
    >
    > The Mac manual is spiral bound (of the sort with the loops in pairs)
    > using black wire. The covers are predominantly black. It's about 7
    > inches high, 4.5 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Richard.

    Look in the Neverwinter Nights folder for "nwncdkey.ini". Open it with
    a text editor (not a word processor) and copy the number for your
    records and SAVE it!

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Carl Carter wrote:

    > On 2004-12-27 08:15:13 -0800, Richard Buckle <richardb@sailmaker.co.uk>
    > said:
    >
    >> In article <1gpfoit.1fp3rrdyzh66N%burt@mindstorm-inc.com>, Burt Johnson
    >> <burt@mindstorm-inc.com> wrote:

    >>> [snip]
    >>
    >> The Mac manual is spiral bound (of the sort with the loops in pairs)
    >> using black wire. The covers are predominantly black. It's about 7
    >> inches high, 4.5 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Richard.
    >
    > Look in the Neverwinter Nights folder for "nwncdkey.ini". Open it with
    > a text editor (not a word processor) and copy the number for your
    > records and SAVE it!

    It is on the inside cover of your game manual and is a 30 or 35 digit
    sequence. But it is clearly marked as the key.

    Deb

Games CD-Rom Macintosh Video Games