Sign in with
Your question

Random reboot on new build, possibly graphics card's fault

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2007 8:06:16 AM

Hi,

Just put together my new computer, but I'm having trouble with it rebooting with alarming regularity.

THe setup is Abit AW9D mobo with E6400 processor and Gainward 7950GT graphics card. Should have ample power with FSP Epsilon 600.

The CPU is practically freezing at about 25c (according to CoreTemp), so I don't thin kthat is the problem. No OC, and running the BIOS on default setup. (Tried uping vCore to check if that helped, but no improvement). From a bit of trial and error it looks like the vast majority of restarts come when I'm trying to play a movie clip, so I'm guessing it could be the graphics card (tried playing from harddrive, CD and extranal drive with the same results). Not sure what it could be that cause the computer to restart, and I've remounted the card to make sure it's not loose.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Especially if anybody knows a way to log what is happening just before the computer restarts.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2007 10:38:30 AM

You may have a piece of hardware that is incompatible. Try removing everything that is non essential.
Look at the customer comments on Newegg.com for the motherboard to see if anyone has reported a problem with other hardware.
February 2, 2007 12:08:47 PM

I tried checking for incompatible pieces of hardware before ordering, and could not find any references to any of the parts not working together. Nothing on newegg either.
Related resources
February 2, 2007 12:35:20 PM

1) Update your BIOS with the latest version, and update all drivers including Graphics, Sound and Motherboard (Chipset).

2) When reinstalling the Graphics drivers, do the following:

-remover graphics drivers form add/remove (Control Panel)
-Reboot (cancel XP default drivers install on startup)
-run DriverCleaner Pro and select NVIDIA, then clean.
-Reboot (cancel XP default drivers install on startup)
-Install new Drivers
-reboot.

My PC use to restart cause of bad Graphics driver installation. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, and now everything is fine.

3) If the above does not work, run Memtest86 on the ram over night (before bed) for about 10 hours. If there are no errors, then the memory is fine and can be excluded.

4) If all fails, the problem is either your Motherboard and/or your Graphics card. My first build had the same problems as you and once I changed my mobo and graphics card, the problems stopped.

Good Luck.
February 2, 2007 3:57:42 PM

Thanks Killt, will try as suggested over the weekend and report back. I did install the latest drivers, but removing the old ones sounds like a good plan.
February 3, 2007 5:45:01 PM

Looks like no luck for me. Unable to update BIOS due to error message saying 'Insufficient memory'. Tried updating nVidia drivers, but this made no difference.
February 3, 2007 5:51:49 PM

Quote:
Looks like no luck for me. Unable to update BIOS due to error message saying 'Insufficient memory'. Tried updating nVidia drivers, but this made no difference.

It looks more like maybe your mobo is bad. If you can get another PCI-E graphics card from a friend and try that for a day, that way you can eliminate the card.

How is the ram? Have you run MemTest86 yet?
February 3, 2007 6:11:29 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Especially if anybody knows a way to log what is happening just before the computer restarts.

Start ->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer

Choose "system" on the left had side and go to the time and day the restart occurred. It will display an error code which you may be able to decode using Google.

Also, right click "My Computer" -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Startup and Recover Settings -> untick "Automatically Restart" under System Failure.
February 3, 2007 6:33:47 PM

Is it any video that does this? Or just ones that use a particular codec? Could be a codec conflict.

Or just particular videos? Then I would try and copy them to another drive and play them. If they play fine on the other drive then you could have bad sectors.
February 3, 2007 6:35:59 PM

For Memtest86, which test type is the recommended to use?
February 3, 2007 6:55:33 PM

Quote:
Is it any video that does this? Or just ones that use a particular codec? Could be a codec conflict.

Or just particular videos? Then I would try and copy them to another drive and play them. If they play fine on the other drive then you could have bad sectors.

I've tried a few different videos, and it always crash in the end. I've also tried playing from all different drives, hard drive, external drive and CD.

Do you know of a set of test clips in various codec formats? That way I could run through them and see if all codecs are affected.
February 3, 2007 9:20:03 PM

Quote:

I got around to doing a quick run of Memtest86. Not the 10 hours you recommended, but two full passes while I was away for an hour. No sign of error there.

Are there any similar applications out there that can test the graphics card memory?
February 4, 2007 10:32:12 AM

Quote:

I got around to doing a quick run of Memtest86. Not the 10 hours you recommended, but two full passes while I was away for an hour. No sign of error there.

Are there any similar applications out there that can test the graphics card memory?

Memtest86 is best for the Memory.

As for Video Card, you can use 3DMark. It's a benchmarking tool that heavily stresses the graphics card. That is what you should try.

To tell you the truth, I had the same problem as you when I made me build last year. I returned my mobo and graphics card, and the problem was fixed...I think you should return the mobo first, after using 3DMark...
!