Stability of Itanium 2, Xeon MP, Opteron, Athlon MP. compare

utarian

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
xcan someone help me compare those 4 processors by their stability pls. im having a hard time findind them.. someone pls help

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
xcan someone help me compare those 4 processors by their stability pls. im having a hard time findind them.. someone pls help

The major stability problems are of chipsets not CPUs.

Not necessarily. Think about it: in a server environment what is the BIGGEST possible factor in failure? Heat, think about it. Why do server processors not only run at lower voltages AND slightly lower TDPs (although Intel and AMD state them at their desktop equivalent) and still run in an air-conditioned room?

The answer to this question, while simple, is a bit hard to prove. The answer is that Server CPUs are more stable, but in a desktop environment, you won't really notice the difference.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Not necessarily. Think about it: in a server environment what is the BIGGEST possible factor in failure? Heat, think about it. Why do server processors not only run at lower voltages AND slightly lower TDPs (although Intel and AMD state them at their desktop equivalent) and still run in an air-conditioned room?

The answer to this question, while simple, is a bit hard to prove. The answer is that Server CPUs are more stable, but in a desktop environment, you won't really notice the difference.

Heat is not a problem since there must be good ventilations before most server are gone for sale.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
In a crowded server environment? Heat IS a problem... which is why the hardware is designed to produce less heat, plus, have you seen a 1U blade? Those things don't produce a lot of heat, I'll admit that, but what happens when you have a few hundred? Then the effects are noticeable.

But I will admit, in a server environment, that's not the big issue, that's more of a desktop problem with OCing and everything.