your_best_enemy

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
ihave a simple 2.0 speaker set. i am thinking about buying a 5.1 system. however i have heard that to have proper surround sound. the room in which the speakers are placed should be very large. would like some more information.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
There is no need for a big room to run a 5.1 system. A little room will be fine.

You can buy 5.1 speaker sets which require a large room, but you're not likely to buy one of them for a computer!

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra bit for the digital in. Get the Z-5450's or the Z-5500's. Only real difference from what I can tell is the rear wireless speakers cost a bit more. You may eventually want the digital input. Many motherboards and sound cards and HDTV's have this premium connector now. As far as the room, it's only going to make a real difference if it's being used in a wide setup with your tv, because sitting at a computer with your speakers right in front of you, the sound isn't likely loud enough to bounce around off your walls and back into your ears. 5.1 > 2.1, a good step up regardless, as is THX certification. No little 2.1 cheapo's will compare to THX certified 5.1

I have the Z-5300's and the X-530's. The quality on the THX certified ones is slightly noticeable, and that noticeability is increased with the subs and volumes turned up.