Ways to get around needing CD installed?

I have a legitimately purchased copy of NWN for the Mac, though I am
still hunting for the CD Key (see separate message on that issue).

As I remember this game, it requires the 'play CD' to be installed
whenever the game is played. I remember that being a real nuisance, and
one of the reasons I rarely played the game.

Is there a patch or work-around to avoid that nuisance? I am NOT trying
to steal the game. I paid real dollars for a real retail copy from a
real retailer. I just don't want to have to put a CD in my system every
time I switch from work to play a game for a half hour, which is my
typical mode for computer games.

For Might & Magic III, I was able to create a disk image. I mount that
image, and it makes the game think the CD is mounted. I tried that with
the NWN play image though, and 'disk copy' says the disk had an
unexpected end of file and was probably damaged. My bet is that the
publishers did something funky with the disk to prevent this trick
(since the game did install properly, as far as I can tell).

--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.

Burt Johnson wrote:

> As I remember this game, it requires the 'play CD' to be installed
> whenever the game is played. I remember that being a real nuisance, and
> one of the reasons I rarely played the game.
>
> Is there a patch or work-around to avoid that nuisance? I am NOT trying
> to steal the game. I paid real dollars for a real retail copy from a
> real retailer. I just don't want to have to put a CD in my system every
> time I switch from work to play a game for a half hour, which is my
> typical mode for computer games.

There are no-CD cracks available on the net. I wouldn't know where to
find one for the Mac, though.

Burt,
search the archives for this group - you'll find some pointers on what
has worked for mounting an image, at least on a PC.

Personally, I was able to use CloneCD (by Elby, IIRC) to create an
image, then used Daemontools to mount the image for both the NWN
original campaign, as well as Shadows of Undrentide (failed for
Hordes).

Don't know if these will help with your Mac, though.