Sign in with
Your question

A faster router?

Last response: in Networking
September 22, 2006 1:44:19 PM

Hi there,

I subscribe to Optimum Online's Boost service, which gives my speeds of 25Mbps down (30Mbps max) and 3Mbps up ( 5Mbps max). I currently have a Linksys WRT54g as my router. I am sure there is something better out there that can take advanage of this speed.

I have about $100 to spend and don't mind buying from eBay. Can someone recommend a good, solid router.

I have six other PC's and devices on my network, 5 are wired, and the other is wireless, so I will be adding an access point and removing the WRT54g.

More about : faster router

September 22, 2006 5:39:14 PM

I use Netgear VPN Routers, The FVS-338 is a 8 port, rated at 92mbps and is working very good for me. I am running beta firmware in it, though. Which is close to being released any time now. They only had 1 item that affecting sending logs to be fixed. This is wired only, 8 port, comes with VPN Clint software. The Wizzard worked flawlessly on seting up VPN, Worked the 1st time, Clinet to Router. This is sweet if you travel. I have full access to all hardware with in my network, all 3des with auth. I have always used a seperate AP due to better performance and fleability on where to place it for best coverage. Curently I am using a USR 5450 AP, The 5453 is closer to my current setup.
September 22, 2006 10:15:00 PM

If you have an extra PC lying around somewhere you could make it into a router. m0n0wall springs to mind. If all you're doing is NAT (no VPN or other processor intensive tasks) you can probably NAT @ 100mbps with a midrange Pentium 3 with decent PCI NICs.

Just out of curiosity what kind of numbers are you seeing on speedtests with and without your current router connected?
Related resources
September 23, 2006 2:07:59 AM

You make a good point, and something that I have never thought about doing.... I have a number of older PC laying around, with some pretty good Intel NIC's ... I will go ahead a build a router and see what I can get...

ALso, I have never actually connected my system directly to the cable modem ... Yet another thing to try one day…
September 23, 2006 3:34:48 AM

Even a Pentium (original) would make a fine m0n0wall or IPCop firewall. I've tried both on a P166 with success. CPU utilization was nill for my 5 Mbit connection. At 30 Mbit you may actually see some use.

Only real issue is that even a pentium draws 8-12 watts for just the CPU, a PC based firewall will draw ~50 watts at the wall. Most home use routers will draw less than 10 watts. Someday someone will say, I'll just use my old P4 as a firewall 8O
September 23, 2006 3:55:22 AM

I used a Soekris net4521 for a while and at the time I think i had 5mbps cable. Pretty sure that particular board is a 133MHz model and it ran great.

Up until a week or so ago I was running m0n0wall on a 2GHz P4 series Celeron. Then I had to pilfer the CPU when the brand new MSI board I bought refused to POST with the 1.7 Celeron I had in my parts drawer. Gotta love how the box says it supports socket 478 Celerons and you have to go to the website to find out what they really mean is it supports socket 478 Celerons >= 2.0GHz.
September 23, 2006 12:20:56 PM

Quote:
Someday someone will say, I'll just use my old P4 as a firewall 8O

Today, oh well, It's your electric bill. :lol: 
September 23, 2006 6:46:21 PM

Well, it's either a working router or saving a couple bucks every month.
October 12, 2006 12:49:09 AM

What are your current speeds? That WRT54g is actually a good router. Also, is Optimum Online a cable service? If so, your cable modem might come in to play in terms of speed (perhaps more so than your router).
October 12, 2006 12:59:28 AM

Quote:
What are your current speeds? That WRT54g is actually a good router. Also, is Optimum Online a cable service? If so, your cable modem might come in to play in terms of speed (perhaps more so than your router).

It might be a good router, but consumer level stuff such as the WRT54G is definitely not the best choice for a connection that fast. Most consumer routers will start to choke somewhere between 5-10mbps. To kind of put it in perspective for you, on a 10mbps connection, I saw a good 10% performance improvement running m0n0wall vs a consumer router.

The "gaming" routers might have more horsepower and therefore might work a bit better, but you have to spend some serious money to get an appliance that will outperform a PC.
October 12, 2006 2:30:17 AM

Quote:

It might be a good router, but consumer level stuff such as the WRT54G is definitely not the best choice for a connection that fast. Most consumer routers will start to choke somewhere between 5-10mbps. To kind of put it in perspective for you, on a 10mbps connection, I saw a good 10% performance improvement running m0n0wall vs a consumer router.

The "gaming" routers might have more horsepower and therefore might work a bit better, but you have to spend some serious money to get an appliance that will outperform a PC.
Interesting... I didn't know the performance gain was that great. Can you provide some sort of linkage to support that? What model router were you using that you got such a great speed increase on?
October 12, 2006 4:46:28 AM

Umm.. no, I don't have any documentation. I was using a Netgear WGR614, but I would imagine results would be similar with similarly priced routers. My downloads were faster and game performance also got a boost if I recall correctly.
October 12, 2006 6:55:07 AM

i've got another vote for m0n0wall

I use it on a HP Kayak P2 400 w/ 3nic cards.

I set up seperate interfaces for wired / wireless LAN

I used m0n0walls VPN capabilities to setup VPN over wifi to gain secure access to the wired lan for the wireless pc's.
October 12, 2006 12:37:52 PM

Look into Clarkconnect Community Edition also. It has loads of extra features. I think it's great.
October 12, 2006 3:38:08 PM

ClarkConnect is only really useful if you have limited hardware or you're lazy. It's generally not a best practice to put your file server on the same box as your firewall for obvious security reasons. ClarkConnect is also missing a few networking features m0n0wall has.

I think it's cool, I just wouldn't use it because I could build a better system using m0n0wall and a 2nd box for use as a server.
!