Sign in with
Your question

E4300 or E6600?

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2007 10:12:18 AM

Hi all, i'm stuck on which one of these to get now the E4300 is nicer on my budget but i could down grade a few other components to fit the E6600 in my question is, is the 2mb of extra cache worth an etc $200?

I dont see the point in going for the E6300 or the E6400 as they're just E6600 with half the cache deactivated and why add to the heat?

Thanks!

More about : e4300 e6600

February 2, 2007 10:41:18 AM

What's your main use on the pc? Video encoding?
Can your mobo handle a good OC?
February 2, 2007 10:47:19 AM

No 2MB cache isn't worth 200$! The e4300 is a really good option for OC because of the 9X multiplier. The added 2MB in 6600 make a difference especially in future games but let's face it, it's about 2~3%. All that applies to overclocking though. If for any reason you'll have to back off in stock then the e4300 sucks big time! If you are interested in games then use your money right take 4300 and spend the extra bucks in a good GPU.
Related resources
February 2, 2007 11:11:02 AM

FSB is better than high multi's when it comes to overclocking performance. Clocked to the same speed, the E6600 kills the E4300.
February 2, 2007 11:18:46 AM

I agree. High multiplier comes handy when you've got cheap memory and mobo. If that's not the case get e6400 or e6300. For a 3.4 and above OC i would suggest e6400 though.
February 2, 2007 11:30:58 AM

Clocked to the same speed, the E6600 kills the E4300.[/quote]

8O Kills... NO. the performance gap is not big, but the FSB does play a signifigant role when overclocking. the E6300 would be closer to the 6600
February 2, 2007 11:31:13 AM

Quote:
Hi all, i'm stuck on which one of these to get now the E4300 is nicer on my budget but i could down grade a few other components to fit the E6600 in my question is, is the 2mb of extra cache worth an etc $200?

I dont see the point in going for the E6300 or the E6400 as they're just E6600 with half the cache deactivated and why add to the heat?

Thanks!

I would buy the E4300, the better GPU, and more RAM.
February 2, 2007 11:32:08 AM

This build is going to be for gaming but this will be my first build and im a bit unsure where the money is best spent for over all performance. Is the motherboard the most important piece of equipment?

I thought it sensible to start off with choosing a processor then finding compatable components from there but im a newb and this is kinda overwhelming! :roll: I have a budget of $1500 but that has to pay for everything from CPU to LCD Monitor.

I already have a Thermaltake Armor Jr case & an iGreen Power 500W PSU

Thanks for the replies I need all the help i can get! ;) 
February 2, 2007 11:38:43 AM

To Answer this question, we need to know your intentions and what you want to do.

In most cases the E4300 will be the better chip and you can spend the saved money on other components. Are you building a $2500 PC? In such a case clearly the E4300 is not the choice because other stuff is already up to snuff. Are you building a $700 PC? In such cases you absolutely need the $200 saved for other components.

At this point I would recommend the E4300 to most folks since it can easily clock to more than match their needs.

The next CPU I would suggest is the E6400 at about $40-50 more. This chip will wind up having a higher FSB at the same CPU speeds as the E4300 and deliver a little better performance. However, in most cases that $50 would be better spent on a slightly better video card which would yield even better results. (Note: The money saved may even be slightly more ($50-$75) as you can save a tad on RAM too - DDR667 is all that is needed and not DDR800 unless very major OC is desired.)

The E6600 is a very nice chip if you have a healthy budget for your PC and are not overly concerned about costs. The added cache will help.

I sort of view the E6300 as the odd man out. The E4300 is cheaper and provides more than enough power for the overwhelming majority of folks even with only moderate overclocking. The E6400 is priced close enough to the E6300 that the saved money could not really be used to upgrade other components.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2007 11:44:54 AM

Good choice on the case - many folks like the Armor series for the solid design aspects.

I can't say that I like that power supply - but it will probably get you by. If you read the PSU 101 sticky, and you still chose it - then fine. However you may have some issues down the road, so just be aware of it.

As for your original post - either CPU will do you good. I wanted the additional cache, and the speed of the E6600, but the E4300 is highly clockable, and will do well in that case of yours. Just don't be greedy when you overclock, as you PSU seems to be a weak link.

Just my 2 cents.
February 2, 2007 11:45:10 AM

My budget is around $2500 but with the taxes we pay here in Sweden it works out as roughly $1500 for those of you lucky enough to pay Newegg.com prices so advice for a $1500 build would help.

Thanks!
February 2, 2007 11:52:17 AM

Yea I like the case although the white front door clips are flimsy but i hope thermaltake will send me some replacements as for the PSU I bought it because all I need is 500W and this thing is #1 in efficiency Link it's also near silent @ 17 dBa, has a 3year+ warranty and an expected life of 400,000 hours seemed very good to me! ;) 

Thanks for your posts I appreciate it!
February 2, 2007 11:53:04 AM

Thats true. Its like comparing the Celeron to the Pentium all over again. (U_U)
February 2, 2007 11:57:29 AM

Quote:
This build is going to be for gaming but this will be my first build and im a bit unsure where the money is best spent for over all performance. Is the motherboard the most important piece of equipment?

I thought it sensible to start off with choosing a processor then finding compatable components from there but im a newb and this is kinda overwhelming! :roll: I have a budget of $1500 but that has to pay for everything from CPU to LCD Monitor.

I already have a Thermaltake Armor Jr case & an iGreen Power 500W PSU

Thanks for the replies I need all the help i can get! ;) 

For gaming your money is best spent on the GPU. On your budget the 8800GTS may be for the best so you can get a nice LCD. I would take no less than a DX10 GPU if you want your system to last. I would suggest the ECS 16GB SLI 570 motherboard which is on a good deal right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
I would hold off the 680I until they hold more RAM unless you want the 32G Abit. LOL$.
February 2, 2007 11:59:04 AM

8O So if I overclocked the E4300 to 2.4GHz it would perform just as well in gaming as the E6600? Thats awesome thanks m8! What sort of components would i need to build a rig with the same performance as the E6600 just using the E4300 instead?

I want to be able to run games like battlefield series all maxed out @ 1284 x 1024 res but also be ready for games such as Crysis is it possible with the E4300 CPU?

I really appreciate your help! ;) 

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2007 12:08:53 PM

My apologizes. I assumed that iGreen was some cheap knockoff powersupply company - I didn't realize it was a coolermaster. I feel like a dumbass. It should treat you just fine, still don't overclock too much just to be conservative.

Sorry about the 40% tax situation in Sweden. Hey at least you have ABBA and a very service oriented government which helps to redistribute wealth.

"To each according to their needs, from each according to their means." <<Bonus point to anyone who can identify this quote. :) >>

America seems to be headed in that direction too.

Cheers.
February 2, 2007 12:15:09 PM

Quote:
My apologizes. I assumed that iGreen was some cheap knockoff powersupply company - I didn't realize it was a coolermaster. I feel like a dumbass. It should treat you just fine, still don't overclock too much just to be conservative.

Sorry about the 40% tax situation in Sweden. Hey at least you have ABBA and a very service oriented government which helps to redistribute wealth.

"To each according to their needs, from each according to their means." <<Bonus point to anyone who can identify this quote. :) >>

America seems to be headed in that direction too.

Cheers.

Lol, you can have ABBA if you want, free of charge! ;)  But yes its good that the taxes go to those less fortunate plus the wages here are relatively high so it's not to much of a problem. It only hurts if you constantly check our prices then look on newegg... I should really stop doing that! :D 
February 2, 2007 12:17:50 PM

i'll certainly look into ECS but arent they a cheap budget brand? Is the motherboard really the place to cut costs? it seems like the main component to me.

Thanks for the link and the advice much appreciated! ;) 
February 2, 2007 12:35:54 PM

Quote:
Lol, you can have ABBA if you want, free of charge! ;)  But yes its good that the taxes go to those less fortunate plus the wages here are relatively high so it's not to much of a problem.

The prices in each country usually are up to its level of wealthness. Like you said, more money and higher wages lead to higher prices (comparing directly with other countries). That doesn't mean that a Swedish buys much more easily a PC than an American or Portuguese, right?

OT: comparing to Sweden, here in Portugal each working person contributes to taxes annually about 25% to 40% of the wage plus a VAT of 21% over general products. Public Health Services are somehow cheap with exception of urgencies which are free (Private health services are very expensive). Social Security support is medium but declining due to aging of working population+increase of retirements (and thus increase of expenses), which also lead recently to the increase of retirement allowed age to 65 years old. Cars are really really expensive since we have VAT 21% over a high Automotive Tax (dependant on engine size and polution emissions). I find hardware prices here in line with USA maybe slightly higher but not much due to $/€ exchange nowadays.
February 2, 2007 12:37:05 PM

Thats a nice board and i've heard good things about it, i've just been looking around and I can get this ASUS for more or less the same price as the DS3 would you still choose the DS3?

Thanks again! ;) 
February 2, 2007 12:39:02 PM

yeah agree with you totally on this, get a board that is know to be a good OCer. Dont get the ECS. I have one of there boards, i bought it because it was cheap. It was a stable board but didnt give me the OCing options that I needed. Ive heard good things about the Gigabyte DS3 on these forumz.
February 2, 2007 12:42:25 PM

What did you think about the Asus board I linked too? it looks nicer atleast :lol:  it also seems to have many more features and includes all the cables even the external sata cable! ;) 
February 2, 2007 12:51:05 PM

I'm really tempted to get the DS3 it seems to be very good especially with the E4300 so many people have said good things about it but at the end of the day its a pretty bare board when it comes to features now i managed to find this Asus P5B-E PLUS for around the same price as the DS3 is this a good board?

On another note if i do go for the E4300 what Ram would I need & would I need an After market cooler?

Thanks folks this is a great help!
February 2, 2007 1:00:10 PM

Ok now some general advices which of course might be wrong. Trust Ninja if he corrects me in something.

Take the e4300. Add to it a nice cooler like Artic freezer.

Take 2GB of DDR2 800mhz Ram. The Super Talent is good enough for 1000mhz. They are cheaper then others and you won't need more then 400 fsb in the 3.2GHz range. There are better mem kits out there but i don't think they'll help you in gaming or in the overclocking range you target anyway.

Take a good mobo like the non WIFI version of P5B-E deluxe. The 965 chipset is plenty good for overclocking and cheaper then 680i.

If you don't plan to upgrade for at least a year take the 8800 gtx. People might tell that gtx is overkill and that gts is enough but listen to me. Current games play perfect in gts. Not too far though there are plenty of games that will need the extra unified shaders of the gtx. On the other hand if you do plan to upgrade then take the gts, enjoy for six months and when at that time your gts truggles sell it and get yourself a better gpu of that time like 8900 or something.

Never consider SLI.

Don't go crazy with the PSU. Take a good 600Watt range psu with stable 12v rails like 54 amp. Enermax and silverstone are good. I would mention better psus but you don't have the need and the money either.

I'll leave the LCD to the image professionals around here.

Hope i helped!
Peace. 8)
February 2, 2007 1:07:23 PM

If you ever consider Gigabyte i would take the DS4 over the DS3. It's just a few bucks more but has better cooling and a few other tweaks. :wink:
a c 478 à CPUs
February 2, 2007 1:09:21 PM

I'm not very familar with the Asus P5B-E Plus, but the Asus P5B-E is a pretty good board for overclocking as well. Though based on what I've read it seems the Gigabyte 965P - DS3 is a little better in the OC'ing department. The P5B-E Plus do have some nice features though.

As for RAM, I typically use the Corsair XMS series. You can get either DDR2 667 or 800. Using DDR2 667 will potentially allow you to OC the E4300 to 3.0GHz. DDR2 800 will potentially allow you to OC up to 3.6GHz. Based on some articles I've read on the E4300 OC potential, it seems to max out between 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz in most cases.

Corsair XMS RAM may be a bit expensive, but I consider them bulletproof. Better to spend a little extra for less headaches. I would avoid OCZ RAM though, many people are having problems with their RAM lately.

As for a heatsink fan combo I would recommend the Turniq Tower:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

I am using a Scythe Ninja on my E6600 OC'ed to 3.0GHz:

The Scythe Infinity is also another good one:

I'm guessing you should be able find one of them in Sweden.
February 2, 2007 1:17:52 PM

Quote:
Ok now some general advices which of course might be wrong. Trust Ninja if he corrects me in something.

Take the e4300. Add to it a nice cooler like Artic freezer.

Take 2GB of DDR2 800mhz Ram. The Super Talent is good enough for 1000mhz. They are cheaper then others and you won't need more then 400 fsb in the 3.2GHz range. There are better mem kits out there but i don't think they'll help you in gaming or in the overclocking range you target anyway.

Take a good mobo like the non WIFI version of P5B-E deluxe. The 965 chipset is plenty good for overclocking and cheaper then 680i.

If you don't plan to upgrade for at least a year take the 8800 gtx. People might tell that gtx is overkill and that gts is enough but listen to me. Current games play perfect in gts. Not too far though there are plenty of games that will need the extra unified shaders of the gtx. On the other hand if you do plan to upgrade then take the gts, enjoy for six months and when at that time your gts truggles sell it and get yourself a better gpu of that time like 8900 or something.

Never consider SLI.

Don't go crazy with the PSU. Take a good 600Watt range psu with stable 12v rails like 54 amp. Enermax and silverstone are good. I would mention better psus but you don't have the need and the money either.

I'll leave the LCD to the image professionals around here.

Hope i helped!
Peace. 8)

Great info thanks a bunch, the ASUS P5B-E PLUS is being marketed as a better over clocker than the deluxe it also doesnt have the 2 pci x16 slots but that seems redundent anyhow as the 8 series will be plenty at 1284x1024 Res I might even get the X1950Pro and upgrade later when the 8 series becomes more reasonably priced!

Thanks again! ;) 
February 2, 2007 1:24:38 PM

Awesome, thanks for the links looks like with all your help im shaping up a nice gaming system so far im thinking:

E4300 + ASUS P5B-E PLUS + Scythe infinity

To save money would crucial ram be good or Corsair Value? Or is ram a place that cant be compremised? Also 2GB or 1GB? I'm planning on installing Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it! :) 
February 2, 2007 1:56:18 PM

Well the plus doesn't have the 8 phase system too. That's not good as imo the regular Asus boards aren't strong enough with voltages. Also the cooling system looks crap. I would like to have a spare PCI-E 16x because you might want to add a physics processor unit in some months with UT engine 3 games.
That's what I think though. You might aswell not listen to me. :D 
February 2, 2007 1:59:14 PM

hmm i guess i could go for the DS4 but gigabyte boards do seem to be a bit basic/bare. But im no expert and im probably missing something! ;) 
February 2, 2007 2:04:25 PM

The Infinity is good but too heavy! People in my topic are leaning towards Thermalright Ultra. Imo you don't need either because you're targeting in 3.2, so you may consider something cheaper, lighter and quieter.
Check my topic but don't let the results of the poll affect you. The poll is to check a general idea of people's preferences which might be wrong. The important thing for you is to read it: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
a c 478 à CPUs
February 2, 2007 2:04:36 PM

Quote:

To save money would crucial ram be good or Corsair Value? Or is ram a place that cant be compremised? Also 2GB or 1GB? I'm planning on installing Windows Vista Home Premium.

Both are good RAM namebrands, go for whichever one is cheaper. Crucial is a sub-division of Micron, so you'll be getting Micron RAM.

I would get at least 1GB of RAM. I think Vista recommends 512MB, but if gaming is a concern then I would get 2GB of RAM. If 2GB of RAM is out of your price range for the moment then go with 1 stick of 1GB RAM and add in another stick of 1GB RAM when you have the money.

Just be aware that by using only one stick of RAM your memory will be running in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode. The drop in performance will be about 5%-10%.

You could install 2 sticks of 512MB RAM now and another 2 sticks of 512MB RAM later for a total of 2GB. However, when all four memory banks are used you will also take a small performance it, but the memory will be operating in dual channel mode.

The choice is yours. But if I could only afford 1GB of RAM, then it would be one stick of 1GB RAM now and another stick of 1GB later.
February 2, 2007 2:14:26 PM

He's got enough for two gigs. With one gig he'll suffer in almost every current game with max settings. I think that there can't be compromises in the amount of ram. He would better take something else cheaper if he has money issues. I think thats not the case because you can find 2GB kits with ~200 today.
February 2, 2007 2:16:57 PM

I think i'll Get a 2GB Kit as i've read that for dual channel to work properly both sticks have to be from the same batch, makes sense now im thinking:

E4300 + Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro + Gigabyte P965 DS4.

As for RAM if I need DDR2 800 im looking at this it's a bit expensive but seems that it's the best price/performance I can find here - Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's

If I can use DDR2 675 im looking at this its about 50 bucks cheaper than above - Corsair TWIN2X 5400 DDR2, 2048MB PC5400 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024-5400C4 Dimm's.

Getting there thanks guys!
February 2, 2007 2:31:21 PM

Most excellent!! :D 
You'll need exactly 720mhz for OC at 3.2 in 1:1.
You can achieve that of course with DDR 800 but also with a small OC in DDR667 modules. I whould go for the 800 ones for the extra room and performance! :) 
February 2, 2007 4:58:03 PM

Quote:
i'll certainly look into ECS but arent they a cheap budget brand? Is the motherboard really the place to cut costs? it seems like the main component to me.

Thanks for the link and the advice much appreciated! ;) 

ECS is a server motherboard maker so not cheap in any way. You can find lower price motherboards but not 16GB boards as ECS has a lot of knowlege in the higher capacity RAM server motherboard markets. The OC is really tied to the Nvidia 570 SLI so I wouldnt expect to go over 3GHz. That said 3GHz with an E4300 is good but being tied down to an 8GB motherboard isn't. Here is some OCing and benchmark tests on the ECS.
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2006/ecs/NFORCE%20570%20SLIT...
February 2, 2007 5:56:22 PM

go with supertalent ddr2 800 c4 dual 2gb kit. you won't be sorry. the best ddr2 800 within its price range ~ US $270 with tight memory timing 4-4-3-8.
February 2, 2007 6:27:57 PM

Quote:
Most excellent!! :D 
You'll need exactly 720mhz for OC at 3.2 in 1:1.
You can achieve that of course with DDR 800 but also with a small OC in DDR667 modules. I whould go for the 800 ones for the extra room and performance! :) 

Its shaping up nicely thanks to yourself and everyone else kind enough to reply! ;) 

The PC5400 RAM is actually closer to $100 dollars cheaper than the PC6400, what sort of OC could I expect from the DDR2 667 Ram? If I can get the cost down in other areas I may be able to get a 8800GTS :D 

Appreciate the help thanks!
February 2, 2007 6:53:37 PM

again, the supertalent ddr2 667 c5, value ram category will do decent timing with 3-3-3-8 at 333mhz speed with 2.3v, considered you start from cpu fsb 200mhz, overclocked to 333mhz with 9 multiplier = around 3ghz (if it's possible).

i'm using supertalent ddr2 667 c5 (week 31, year 2006). it has been tested on my friend's rig using e6300 cpu and gigabyte s3 motherboard and it could perform up to ddr2 1000 with 5-5-5-15 timing and ran the cpu @ 3.5ghz stable (orthos priority 8 for 6 hours passed).. you can get it from newegg.com for below $200 (2x1gb).

so good luck..!! :) 
February 2, 2007 7:00:33 PM

Quote:
again, the supertalent ddr2 667 c5, value ram category will do decent timing with 3-3-3-8 at 333mhz speed with 2.3v, considered you start from cpu fsb 200mhz, overclocked to 333mhz with 9 multiplier = around 3ghz (if it's possible).

i'm using supertalent ddr2 667 c5 (week 31, year 2006). it has been tested on my friend's rig using e6300 cpu and gigabyte s3 motherboard and it could perform up to ddr2 500 with 5-5-5-15 timing.. you can get it from newegg.com for below $200 (2x1gb).

so good luck..!! :) 

Sorry m8, I forgot to mention we can't get that ram here in sweden :(  but if I wanted to go further than 3GHz i'd need the DDR2 800?

Thanks! ;) 
February 2, 2007 7:19:31 PM

ohh.. well then any ddr2 667 with good known overclocking ability will do just fine for you. you can read the reviews in mid to end year of 2006 articles at anandtech.com for the overclockable value ddr2 667 to ddr2 800.

in my humble opinion, do moderate overclock if you are not satisfied with your standard cpu performance to save some money and spend it on the vga card.

the core microarchitecture (core 2 duo series) itself is way way more advanced in its microarchitecture compared to netburst microarchitecture (pentium series) and the core microarchitecture is a bit more advanced compared to k8l microarchitecture (amd 64 series). so the cpu itself is already a big leap ahead in performance point of view even if you don't overclock.

the biggest performance gain in gaming that you will gain is to have a strong performance vga card, and an adequate ram (2gb of rams are the standard now running in dual channel mode). tight memory timing will only add few performance gain, you will hardly feel the difference in real life gaming application except if you do benchmarking score. just make sure you do this at 1:1 ratio between the cpu fsb frequency:ram frequency.

just purchase a good value ram ddr2 667, oc. your cpu to 333mhz, and don't forget to buy a high end vga card for gaming and you will sit relax playing your game for awhile.. :) 
February 2, 2007 7:29:16 PM

Excellent this should work then: Corsair TWIN2X 5400 DDR2, 2048MB PC5400 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024-5400C4 Dimm's

Link

Thanks for your help m8! I dont think I understand what you mean about the FSB and the 1:1 ratio? but perhaps thats a question for the overclocking forum ;) 
February 2, 2007 11:09:26 PM

Quote:
yeah i think that will do just fine for your needs :) 

check out this review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e4300_3.html

the maximum frequency it could get was 380mhz, so no need for ddr2 800 since your future ddr2 667 c4 has the ability to be overclocked to ddr2 800 even at the c5 timing. hehe..

Excellent thanks alot m8! Looks like i'm well on my way ;) 
!