Is NWNs Still an Online D&D Adventure?

I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about it before it came out. I
thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest. Is that true?
Looking at the current NWN website, the focus seems to be more on the
single-player game mode and on the "create your own" dungeon feature...

-- Dave

Dave D wrote:
> I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about it before it came out. I
> thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest. Is that true?
> Looking at the current NWN website, the focus seems to be more on the
> single-player game mode and on the "create your own" dungeon feature...
>

> -- Dave

There are a lot of online multiplayer games you can play, and also
persistent worlds you can join, so in a way it's like Everquest, I
guess, though I've never played that game.

Dave D wrote:
> I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about it before it came
> out. I thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest. Is
> that true? Looking at the current NWN website, the focus seems to be
> more on the single-player game mode and on the "create your own"
> dungeon feature...

No, it's not a MMO like Everquest (and I'm not aware of it every being
marketed that way, but it's possible it was in its concept phase).

Out of the box, it's more aimed at single-player mode. It also provides
a toolset for developing your own modules. It does support multi-player
and there are quite a few multi-player modules out there.

It also has support for persistent worlds (multi-player modules that
"constantly" run). Those are similar to Everquest, but they are fan run
and not very massive (either in terms of players or world).

It has an active user community that continues to generate new content
for it. Bioware has also recently begun publishing new pay modules for
download so they are continuing to support the game.

- W. Citoan
--
My center is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I
attack!

I actually play on one of the persistent worlds similiar to Everquest, Dark
Age, ect. It is truly the best PW out there, plus its free unlike EQ, ect.
Its been around for a few years and has tons of scripters and worldbuilders
working on it. Its called Soulforge the Third age. Was just Soulforge before
but the 3rd edition/revamp of it was just implemented. Its found under PW
Story on multiplayer connection
There are huge, beautiful detailed cities, dungeons, maps, ect. There
are advanced tradeskills to create weapons, armor, potions, food, ect. as
well as enchanting and scribing. Economy is player based, so no quick get
rich scenarios. You could buy a shortsword from npc for instance at 40gp. If
you happen to kill a creature that drops a short sword, or make one, or sell
back one you bought to the npc you would only get 1gp for it. So it behooves
the player selling to offer to other players for 25gp. That way both win.
There are peacekeepers, laws, and jails. Quests, great areas for soloing, or
dungeons that need powerful groups to tackle. Ppl are generous, helpful and
fun. Many guilds to join that hold contests and gladitorial battles in
arenas. Check out webpage at www.sfrealm.com and click on forums link to see
more info in detail. If you want to play in current version just revamped 3
small(easy for dial-up ppl) hak-paks need to be downloaded from forum site.
I'm bunco13 gamespy id, and mail Char. on SF is Rue&Bourbon. Send me a
tell if you get on. I'll help you out.

"Dave D" <dd@ddnet.com> wrote in message
>I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about it before it came out. I
>thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest. Is that true?
>Looking at the current NWN website, the focus seems to be more on the
>single-player game mode and on the "create your own" dungeon feature...
>

> -- Dave

Ok. Well, I have the originally packaged game on my shelf. Never opened,
never used. Should I load that version, or is it obsolete and I should buy
the DVD version?

-- Dave

Dave D wrote:

> Ok. Well, I have the originally packaged game on my shelf. Never
> opened, never used. Should I load that version, or is it obsolete
> and I should buy the DVD version?

Depends. NWN consists of the first game plus two expansions (SOU and
HOU). They are sold separately, as a Gold edition (NWN + SOU) and as a
Platinum edition (NWN + SOU + HOU).

If you have only the original, then buying the Platinum edition will be
cheaper (unless you get a good deal somewhere) then buying SOU and HOU
separately. If you have the Gold edition, then it would be better to
buy HOU only then to buy the Platinum edition.

However, unless you think you can get rid of the version you have for
money somehow, I think the best course is to install what you have.
Play it and see if you like it or not. If you do, then you can decide
how best to buy the expansions if you want them.

- W. Citoan
--
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.
-- [Father] James Keller

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:55:23 GMT, "Dave D" <dd@ddnet.com> wrote:

>"Dave D" <dd@ddnet.com> wrote in message
>>I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about it before it came out. I
>>thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest. Is that true?
>>Looking at the current NWN website, the focus seems to be more on the
>>single-player game mode and on the "create your own" dungeon feature...

SoU and HotU aren't really worthwhile IMO.

Any significant game engine upgrades are going to be available for all versions,
and the only other real benefit of using the expansions that i can think of is
the availability of certain skills and prc's, and those aren't a big enough deal
to really worry over.

install what you have, and use the update feature.

download some of the free modules and play them; they're far better than the
original campaigns. i recommend the shadowlords and dreamweaver modules.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

> I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about
> it before it came out.
> I thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest.

You might be thinking of D&D Online
<http://www.turbinegames.com/index.php?page_id=64>. A game that is
still in development, perhaps scheduled for 2005. It will be similar
to Everquest. And it's made by the same people who created Asheron's
Call.

I personally would be more interested in D&D Online if it were in the
Forgotten Realms instead of a new campaign setting.

AFAIK Hotu is needed to progress past 20th level. It also adds tilesets
and suchlike to the toolset. Also a lot of modules now require both.

Kharsis

eudas wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:55:23 GMT, "Dave D" <dd@ddnet.com> wrote:
>

>>"Dave D" <dd@ddnet.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about it before it came out. I
>>>thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest. Is that true?
>>>Looking at the current NWN website, the focus seems to be more on the
>>>single-player game mode and on the "create your own" dungeon feature...
>

> SoU and HotU aren't really worthwhile IMO.
>
> Any significant game engine upgrades are going to be available for all versions,
> and the only other real benefit of using the expansions that i can think of is
> the availability of certain skills and prc's, and those aren't a big enough deal
> to really worry over.
>
> install what you have, and use the update feature.
>
> download some of the free modules and play them; they're far better than the
> original campaigns. i recommend the shadowlords and dreamweaver modules.
>
> eudas
> Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.

Drax

On 28 Dec 2004 09:05:57 -0800, "LordOfFli" <davidbreyer@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about
>> it before it came out.
>> I thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest.
>
>You might be thinking of D&D Online
><http://www.turbinegames.com/index.php?page_id=64>. A game that is
>still in development, perhaps scheduled for 2005. It will be similar
>to Everquest. And it's made by the same people who created Asheron's
>Call.
>
>I personally would be more interested in D&D Online if it were in the
>Forgotten Realms instead of a new campaign setting.

In Dragon magazine they said it would be based in Eberron the 3E
SteamPunk world. For more info on Eberron check

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/whatiseberron

On 28 Dec 2004 09:05:57 -0800, "LordOfFli" <davidbreyer@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about
>> it before it came out.
>> I thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest.
>
>You might be thinking of D&D Online
><http://www.turbinegames.com/index.php?page_id=64>. A game that is
>still in development, perhaps scheduled for 2005. It will be similar
>to Everquest. And it's made by the same people who created Asheron's
>Call.
>
>I personally would be more interested in D&D Online if it were in the
>Forgotten Realms instead of a new campaign setting.

I would have liked Dragonlance personally. Why are there so few games in that
setting?

Memnoch wrote:
> On 28 Dec 2004 09:05:57 -0800, "LordOfFli" <davidbreyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>I haven't played NWNs, but I recall reading about
>>>it before it came out.
>>>I thought it was a massive multiplayer game like Everquest.
>>
>>You might be thinking of D&D Online
>><http://www.turbinegames.com/index.php?page_id=64>. A game that is
>>still in development, perhaps scheduled for 2005. It will be similar
>>to Everquest. And it's made by the same people who created Asheron's
>>Call.
>>
>>I personally would be more interested in D&D Online if it were in the
>>Forgotten Realms instead of a new campaign setting.
>

> I would have liked Dragonlance personally. Why are there so few games in that
> setting?
Personally I prefer Dark Sun. Unfortunately WoTC decided not to
continue this setting.

Kharsis

Leo Fellmann wrote:

> And I liked Planescape. In a short while the Greyhawk people will chip
> in and I think
> that this sort of thing is basically the reason it's in a new setting.
> They really
> did over-extend on them back in the Days of Old :)

From what I've read, it was a deliberate decision on the part of WOTC
to cut down on the number of settings they support. I'm a bit puzzled
why Greyhawk is the "default" setting, but there's no 3rd Edition
material on it aside from the bits and pieces in the core rulebooks. I
actually like the Forgotten Realms setting quite a bit, though it got
chewed up rather badly in 2E with TSR's heavy-handed redesigning of it
to fit their vision and to make it the "default" setting. They've
corrected that to some degree in 3E, returning to the original spirit of
the setting in some respects, though there were other changes made to
the Forgotten Realms that seemed less in keeping with that spirit.

There are some pretty serious teams working on creating Planescape and
Dragon Lance content for NWN, though it's taking them an awfully long
time to finish them up.

Brian G. Vaughan wrote:
> There are some pretty serious teams working on creating Planescape and
> Dragon Lance content for NWN, though it's taking them an awfully long
> time to finish them up.

Both CODI and DLA have been working for Bioware since late 2003
producing content for the Digital Distribution store. Keep tuned, true
believers.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Memnoch wrote:

> I think as long as the challenges that face you are of a scale that warrants
> the kind of firepower Epic characters can bring then it's fine.

That's kind of the problem I have with the Epic character concept: by
that point, characters are nearly demi-gods. They should be running
nations, organizing factions, or journeying among the planes -- not
doing dungeon crawls.

And that's kind of the problem with epic characters in NWN: there's
nothing they can do *but* dungeon crawls, but there aren't any NWN
creatures that can actually challenge an epic character -- except for
another epic character.

eudas wrote:

> SoU and HotU aren't really worthwhile IMO.
>
> Any significant game engine upgrades are going to be available for all versions,
> and the only other real benefit of using the expansions that i can think of is
> the availability of certain skills and prc's, and those aren't a big enough deal
> to really worry over.
>
> install what you have, and use the update feature.
>
> download some of the free modules and play them; they're far better than the
> original campaigns. i recommend the shadowlords and dreamweaver modules.

Many singleplayer modules require that SOU and HOTU be installed -- the
Dreamcatcher series requires SOU, for instance. For online play, the
expansions are a necessity -- there are very few online servers and PWs
that don't require SOU and HOTU to be installed. According to the
Bioware site, well over 90% of people playing NWN online also have the
two expansions installed, so it's understandable that community module
designers would assume that everyone's got the expansions already.

Despite the many shortcomings of the NWN OC, I actually enjoyed
replaying it a few times, and the SOU and HOTU campaigns were better --
though I agree that there are many community-created modules that are
better than they were.

I'd agree with the advice of installing what you've got, and seeing if
you like it, before spending any more money. Common sense, really.

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> Both CODI and DLA have been working for Bioware since late 2003
> producing content for the Digital Distribution store. Keep tuned, true
> believers.

I know the Dragon Lance Adventures team announced they were doing some
content -- though I had the impression it *wouldn't* be Dragon Lance
content. I'm not sure that Bioware even could release Dragon Lance
content, given their licensing is specific to the Forgotten Realms setting.

IIRC correctly, one of the CODI coders specifically denied they were
doing any work for Bioware.