I just bought the game, and it doesn't work. My computer meets the system
requirements, and the game should run fine. But after creating a character,
and clicking the Play button, the game crashes. Anyone know what's wrong?

have you patched to the latest point?

Kharsis

Kharsis wrote:
> have you patched to the latest point?
>
> Kharsis
>
> r.schacht wrote:
>
>> I just bought the game, and it doesn't work. My computer meets the system
>> requirements, and the game should run fine. But after creating a
>> character,
>> and clicking the Play button, the game crashes. Anyone know what's wrong?

I have had a similar problem with my copy of NWN, only I would not even
get to the character creation screen. Sometimes it would crash just
after the 3 intro logos. Sometimes I would make it to the Main menu.
Tried it on 3 different computers (2 homebuilt, 1 systemax 1.7 ghz
system). Same thing on all three. I finally disabled the sound. Have
never had it crash since. I don't know if I may have a bad cd, or what,
as I have not seen anyone post about a similar problem. It shouldn't be
the sound cards, as each of the three systems have totally different
cards (1 old ISA SB non-compatable card, 1 SB compatable PCI, and 1
built in 5.1 surround). You might try it, may be a similar problem.

bushmaster2027 wrote:
>> r.schacht wrote:
>>
>>> I just bought the game, and it doesn't work. My computer meets the
>>> system
>>> requirements, and the game should run fine. But after creating a
>>> character,
>>> and clicking the Play button, the game crashes. Anyone know what's
>>> wrong?
>>

> I have had a similar problem with my copy of NWN, only I would not even
> get to the character creation screen. Sometimes it would crash just
> after the 3 intro logos. Sometimes I would make it to the Main menu.
> Tried it on 3 different computers (2 homebuilt, 1 systemax 1.7 ghz
> system). Same thing on all three. I finally disabled the sound. Have
> never had it crash since. I don't know if I may have a bad cd, or what,
> as I have not seen anyone post about a similar problem. It shouldn't be
> the sound cards, as each of the three systems have totally different
> cards (1 old ISA SB non-compatable card, 1 SB compatable PCI, and 1
> built in 5.1 surround). You might try it, may be a similar problem.

You should take a look at this post:

http://tinyurl.com/3s2dj

from this group two years ago. The information is still valid.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

r.schacht wrote:
> I just bought the game, and it doesn't work. My computer meets the
> system requirements, and the game should run fine. But after creating
> a character, and clicking the Play button, the game crashes. Anyone
> know what's wrong?

In addition to patching the game to the latest version (that fixed the
problem I had when I first got it), make sure you update your video and
sound drivers to the latest stable versions from the respective
manufacturers.

- W. Citoan
--
Claiming that your operating system is the best in the world because more
people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

You might also check some of the posts at the Bioware forums.
www.bioware.com

I tried emailing Atari's tech support, they said it may be a combination of
my motherboard and sound drivers plus Win2K. They recommended using Win 98
or WinXP for playing this but weren't real helpful. I finally fixed my
lockups by moving my soundcard to another PCI slot.

Steve M

That suggests the PCI slot may be damaged or even just dusty.

Kharsis

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:14:28 +1300, Kharsis <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

>That suggests the PCI slot may be damaged or even just dusty.

Or it might mean that the first PCI slot was sharing an IRQ with another
device, which didn't want to share. It's often recommended that you don't
use the slot next to the video card for this reason (although given the
size of some video cards these days, it may be moot anyway).

--
Hong Ooi | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au | STRATEGY GAME!!!"