Sign in with
Your question

In desperate need of help! please - thanks

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2007 12:19:44 PM

i built my first system the other day and afterwards let a professional look it over to fix any mistakes i made and what not.... everything went pretty welll and so i started to install windows.

i have a single dvd burner drive that i assumed would read discs as it said in the specifications that it was also a dvdrom and a cdrom.

so i was happy when it read my windows xp professional installation disc.... and so i installed my windows xp without any problems.

BUT THEN! my dvd burner will not read any disc in windows.... it will however read the windows xp install disc from the bios and will also read the express recovery tool from gigabyte's motherboard driver disc.

this is a huge problem because i can't install anything so i can't get access to the internet or update my bios.. basically the onlything i can do is stare at my windows xp wallpaper and trashbin.. because the drivers i need are on my gigabyte driver disc (ethernet adapter network drivers, etc).

i am using a gigabyte ds3 rev 2.0 motherboard and i have a sata hard drive in ide mode and it is on auto detect and at 0master and my dvd burner is at 4master.

and its on boot order of floppy > hdd > cdrom

i am completely lost here and not sure what to do.. i know it works because it reads my xp and express recovery when i set it to boot to cd-rom first but it won't process any disc in windows.. so baffling i am going to slam my head into a wall haha.. please help.

More about : desperate

February 2, 2007 6:32:48 PM

I ran into this same issue (different MB & DVD-ROM instead of burner) on one of my friends computers. I ended up having to use a second computer to copy all of the drivers to an external HD. Luckily the drive auto detected the external HD or i would have made my local bar tender a very rich man... :twisted:

Are you able to see your USB ports?? If so that is probably your best bet. Hope that helps.. Best of luck :) 

~Cheers
February 2, 2007 6:46:13 PM

Quote:

BUT THEN! my dvd burner will not read any disc in windows.... it will however read the windows xp install disc from the bios and will also read the express recovery tool from gigabyte's motherboard driver disc.

Question... When you go to "My computer" does it see your DVD-RW?

also try the following:
-Right click on "My Computer"
-select "Manage"
-if you click under "storage" your will find "Disk Management"
Q: does it see your DVD-RW??
If so:
-right click on it
-select properties
-at the bottom of the general tab make sure "Use this device(enabled)" is selected
-under drivers tab do an uninstall (Reboot and see if it detects the drive)

If that doesn't work you can try the following:
-Right click on "My Computer"
-select "Manage"
-if you click under "storage" your will find "Disk Management"
Q: does it see your DVD-RW??
If so:
-right click on it and select "Change drive letters\paths"
-then select change
-change the drive letter to a letter towards the end of the alphabet.
-select ok.
reboot and see if that helps.

My first post is still your best bet but these are things you can try in the mean time... Best of luck

~Cheers
Related resources
February 2, 2007 7:52:47 PM

it does recognize the drive in my computer... it says dvd-rw and then when i put in a disc it changes to cd-rom.. when a disc is in the burner i can't click on the icon it just hangs there untill i eject disc.. i cant even right click when the disc is inside.. but i can explore the drive, etc when there is nothing in it.

also on properties the drive is enabled and it says it is working properly and when i uninstalled driver it recognized the drive and installed the driver it had previously.

do you think not having sata drivers installed would effect that? i was told you would only need to install drivers if using raid and i am not using raid and i was also told that if you have sp2 it has drivers that will work fine.. but in my bios the hard drive doesn't show up as sata.. would that have any effect on the way the dvdrw works?

it is quite baffling...i tried searching the net for answers but i couldn't find anything dealing with my specific problem.

i just spent over 1k on this system so i can't afford an external drive anytime soon.
February 2, 2007 10:02:50 PM

How many CDs or DVDs have you tried to access with your system? Reason I ask is this sounds more like a problem with the media than with the setup. If your optical drive can read the Windows XP install CD basically it should be able to read any (good) CD or DVD. (Sound plausible?)

Edit: I noticed in your OP you said the system wil read the windows xp install disc and will also read gigabyte's motherboard driver disc. Have you tried viewing these discs using windows explorer? Or are they only readable in the sense that you can "boot them"?

I will now wait to find out how wrong I am ...

-john
February 2, 2007 10:34:06 PM

Quote:
do you think not having sata drivers installed would effect that? i was told you would only need to install drivers if using raid and i am not using raid and i was also told that if you have sp2 it has drivers that will work fine ...

Yepper! That should be correct. And since you have installed windows (right?) it also sounds like this advice was correct ...

Quote:
but in my bios the hard drive doesn't show up as sata.. would that have any effect on the way the dvdrw works?

:? Huh?? :?

Could you please clarify how your hard drive does show up in your BIOS? If you're seeing something like "IDE" instead of "SATA" don't sweat it. In that case I'd expect that the BIOS is using "IDE" to indicate non-RAID. That is, the BIOS is simply indicating that the drive is not part of a RAID array.

FWIW, all "IDE" stands for is "Integrated Device Electronics". The acronym originally meant that the disk controller electronics were integrated directly onto the hard drive itself as opposed to, say, being on the motherboard. But after SATA was introduced people started using the acronym IDE as a synonym for PATA. So now you'll hear people talk about IDE when what they really mean is PATA versus SATA. That's technically incorrect, however. Actually both PATA and SATA drives are IDE. They both have integrated controller electronics (heck, what doesn't these days?) so both are IDE. (Not that posting this is going to change anything ... Oh, well. :wink:) 

-john, the ostensibly clueless redundant legacy dinosaur
February 2, 2007 10:34:58 PM

i've tried the windows xp disc.... the gigabyte installer driver disc.... an audio cd disc.

the other 2 disc works from the bios but not windows and the third won't work either.
February 2, 2007 10:39:38 PM

have you tried accessing the drive in "Safe" mode??

~Cheers
February 2, 2007 10:52:24 PM

Quote:
i've tried the windows xp disc.... the gigabyte installer driver disc.... an audio cd disc.
the other 2 disc works from the bios but not windows and the third won't work either.

I'm still not sure what you mean why say a disc "works from the BIOS".

I've never heard of problem this. Very strange. Not sure what to suggest at the moment. The "try safe mode" is certainly worth a shot. (Though if it works I'd still wonder why things wouldn't work out of safe mode).

You could also look in the Windows system event log and see if there are any error events reported for the optical drive. (To bring up the Event Viewer issue the command "eventvwr.msc" in a command prompt window).

-john
February 2, 2007 10:55:46 PM

Quote:
this is a huge problem because i can't install anything so i can't get access to the internet or update my bios...

I realize this isn't your main problem, but it also confuses me. What would you need to "install" to be able to use the Internet? Can't you just set up your connection directly in Windows?

-john
February 2, 2007 11:42:23 PM

"Edit: I noticed in your OP you said the system wil read the windows xp install disc and will also read gigabyte's motherboard driver disc. Have you tried viewing these discs using windows explorer? Or are they only readable in the sense that you can "boot them"? "

the drive read the windows xp installer cd from the bios when i installed windows xp for the first time.... then i chose boot from cd and used gigabyte's driver cd from the bios and it read the express recovery from that disk.

but in windows it won't read discs.... it does however read from the bios area that are system discs like windows xp and express recovery.

it won't however read these same discs in windows.

i have not tried safe mode no.

----------------------------------------
my hard drive showed up in bios but it just says hd for hardrive... it is set to act as an ide device from the sata controller based on the default optimized bios settings.... and it is in the 0master slot while my dvd drive is in the 4master slot.
February 2, 2007 11:44:20 PM

i need the network adapter drivers from my gigabyte driver disc... i use onboard network with my modem and i can't setup a connection unless i have the drivers... you can't set up a connection without the drivers it will just keep trying to find drivers and since i can't read anything from the disc it just hangs there forever trying to read it like it doesn't know how.

basically i can do nothing because everything needs to be installed.. this is the first time this system has ever been booted up.
February 2, 2007 11:46:14 PM

when i say it read it in the bios.... i mean when you select "boot from cd" in the bios and you can boot a system cd using that method like a windows install cd.

it reads discs fine there... it's just in windows it doesn't read.
February 3, 2007 12:02:15 AM

Well, at this point I'm afraid I've got nothing. Hopefully someone else will see through to the root of the problem.

My problem understanding this is that you were able to boot from the install disc and install windows from it. If there was something wrong with either the optical drive or the media, then this simply would not work. But since it did work it seems to indicate that the drive is fine, the media is fine, and that windows has no trouble reading the files on the media. It is Windows XP, after all, which is up and running when Windows is installed.

Hmmmmmm, one thing I haven't thought to suggest is that your userid might not have the correct permissions to read the files on the optical disc. This makes no sense either because your windows userid should have administrator authority by default. But it's a possible explaination for why the install process can read the media but you are unable to do so when you are running windows.

Did you do a clean install of windows to your SATA drive?

-john
February 3, 2007 12:26:41 AM

Quote:
i need the network adapter drivers from my gigabyte driver disc... i use onboard network with my modem and i can't setup a connection unless i have the drivers... you can't set up a connection without the drivers it will just keep trying to find drivers and since i can't read anything from the disc it just hangs there forever trying to read it like it doesn't know how.

Do you own a USB flash drive? If you and you can you read files from it on problem system, then a possible circumvention to install the drivers would be to copy the drivers from the driver CD to the flash drive on another system. Then install the drivers from the flash drive.

If that won't work for you my next suggestion is to try a (shudder) floppy diskette drive. (But it wouldn't surprise me if you don't have a diskette drive ...)

If it works I realize it's not a solution to your actual problem. But at this point I'm just thinking if you can get some basic access to the Internet going then it may help you in your search for a solution to the real "can't read a CD under windows" problem.

BTW, what happens if put a data CD into your drive, open a command prompt, and then attempt to do a DIR of the optical drive? Any error messages?

Still just grasping at straws ... it makes no sense to me.

-john
February 3, 2007 12:48:21 AM

ya thanks for the help... i too am baffled as you are it makes no sense that it would work and install windows xp but then wouldn't read discs.

unfortunately i do not have a floppy drive or a usb external drive.

my bios has 1 ide port on it from what i can tell and it is faaar from where the cd drivers are.... so i can ill afford to have alot of drivers... that is why i went with just 1 dvdrw drive for now and then i planned to get either another dvdr drive or a dvdrom drive later.

i guess tomorrow i am going to take it to a repair shop and hope they can figure something something out... or if that doesn't work i guess i will have to look into buying a usb drive of some kind or something.
February 3, 2007 1:01:04 AM

Quote:
i guess tomorrow i am going to take it to a repair shop and hope they can figure something something out

Have you tried a completely clean re-install of windows? I know it's bizarre to suggest this as there is no reason to expect it would work any better the second (or third :wink:)  time. But again, if it were me this is something I would try before I resorted to a repair shop. (Of course, if you know the people at the shop and have a good working relationship with them, go for it).

I would boot the install CD. While installing windows I'd make sure the existing partition was deleted before re-installing to ensure nothing was left from the previous install.

Like I say, I realize the above is probably pointless ... but ... from what you've said so far I'm guessing that the problem is in your Windows OS configuration, not in your hardware. Wish I knew what was going wrong ... and how it was going wrong.

I suppose a repair shop could at least try the install with another "known good" CD drive. That would help rule out the drive as a source of problems. (So could you if you have one or could borrow one from a friend or work).

-john
!