Your question

GrafX Card advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2007 12:37:27 PM

OK; Firstly, Thanks - Big Thanks - to TH for helping em get my new system up:

E6600
Gigabyte DS3 965P Chipset
2 1xb Corsair XMS2 667

Now upon doing a fresh Vista install I notice my base rating was 2.5 due to my graphics card... 256mb PNY GeForce Verto 5200 FX. Those of you who don't know Vista can give you a score; based on your memory, cpu and grafx card.

I bought the stated card because I needed dual VGA outputs. Now I don't, I need a card with the following specs:

Dual output (DVI and VGA)
PCI-X16
256mb+=

I don't play games. I watch TV, not digital nor HD through Media Center. I would like a decent card which will allow me to do this and have the nice Aero effect in Vista (after spending $$$ on decent hardware and vista lagging on the aero effect - I want better!)

So if any of you kind folks could give me some good recommendations under $250 I'd be much appreciated.

I understand this is my first post but I assure you it won't be the last. As said I don't play games and a graphics card has never been my priority so I would like some advice.

Thanks,

Kurt

More about : grafx card advice

February 2, 2007 2:37:29 PM

Great cheers, I have a credit with New egg at the mo so this is a bonus.

One problem is that the one you stated is dual DVI I do need VGA aswell.

Do DVI to VGA converters work well?

Thanks again for the reply.

opps sorry acciently rated it 2 stars... apologies.
Related resources
February 2, 2007 3:04:44 PM

If you don't play games, a sub-$100 card will do you just as well. You won't see a quality difference.

Frankly, your 5200 is just as good for what you're using it for. If you want nicer DVD playback, and a bit faster 3d processing, get a Radeon X1300 for $50.

Even has both VGA and DVI outs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Heck, for $70 you can get an X1600 PRO with an even faster GPU, probably overkill for Aero, and still has a VGA out according to the pic:

February 2, 2007 3:20:55 PM

Quote:
If you don't play games, a sub-$100 card will do you just as well. You won't see a quality difference.

Frankly, your 5200 is just as good for what you're using it for. If you want nicer DVD playback, and a bit faster 3d processing, get a Radeon X1300 for $50.

Even has both VGA and DVI outs:

Heck, for $70 you can get an X1600 PRO with an even faster GPU, probably overkill for Aero, and still has a VGA out according to the pic:

Wicked advice, thanks mate.

Though my card cost me like $60 after rebates. It did the job with XP, then I got a new Dell 22 winch UltraSharp widesreen thingy and colour shades in the vista background look choppy.

Videos play fine. But the Aero thing does seem to lag, that base rating i was on about; Microsoft state 4-6 rating fro aero. And everything else on my system is 5.2+ except my GPU at 2.5! so I felt this was bringing it down.

Would it be because of the resolution on WideScreen, 1680 * 1050 ?

Thanks for your reply.
February 2, 2007 4:25:25 PM

i would go with the x1600 for you. i have the x1300 on vista and my aero rating is only 2.8. however, mine is a PCI x1300 not pci express.
February 2, 2007 5:15:19 PM

Quote:

Videos play fine. But the Aero thing does seem to lag, that base rating i was on about; Microsoft state 4-6 rating fro aero. And everything else on my system is 5.2+ except my GPU at 2.5! so I felt this was bringing it down.

I wish I had more experience with the Aero interface so I could tell you conclusively, but the Aero interface uses the DirectX 3d API, and the X1600 is much, much faster than a 5200 in DirectX games... so the X1600 should be much, much smoother running Aero, too.

Vista's so new though, I personally haven't seen either running it, so I have to admit I don't have any personal experience unfortunately.

But the signs point to the 5200 being the culprit if the aero interface is chugging, and if that's the case an X1600 should help immensely.
February 2, 2007 5:43:54 PM

Just what I needed to hear.. I souldn't of asked for better answers. Now, thanks to all of you for your input, I can use the rest of the credit for a new SATA drive :) .

Thanks again everyone.
!