FFD Lcds coming out?

Debeucci

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Does anyone have any exact dates on when the ffd lcds are coming out? I'm looking for a good 19' gaming lcd for FPS and everything else...anything decent in the current?

NVGTS2

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
FFD is a long time away. According to NEC they will not be mass produced until at least the middle or end of NEXT year.

blexxun

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Debeucci, we had discussed this topic a couple of times. Just use the search function to find the threads. Some additional remarks here:

Overdrive techniques, to make lcd panels faster, are known for at least 10years now. Samsung presented its new PVA technology in 99 at a display conference, and we have it alreday in mass production for quite some time. So the transition from the first presentation to mass production was quite fast in this case.
Time to market for overdrive techniques seems to be a bit different. I think thats because a combination of the following 3 factors:
- additioal cost
- the average consumer won't notice the difference (black white response of todays panels is already good enough)
- you can't feature it ("nobody" understands what "response time" is and how it is related to image quality)

What is available today?
An 18" panel with FFD (see my previous postings). Also,
at this years display conference SID2002 Samsung presented "the worlds largest TFT-LCD", a 40" LCD for HDTV . The panel has a resolution of 1280x768 and the 'inter-gray response time" is 12ms. Luminance is 500cd/m2 and contrast ratio is 600:1. Samsung announced (Press rel Mon 27 May) the launch of a 40in LCD-TV in Japan. The company begins selling in late June at a retail price of 1.000.000 Yen (8000USD). Questions is if it has the same features like the one presented at the SID.

Also Fujitsu has improved its MVA technology which is now called "MVA Premium" available for monitors >=19in (Viewsonic should have it VX900). At SID (forgot the year) conference they mentioned a significantly improved inter-gray response. This new technology *is* available but not featured with a better gray response.