HD OTA Question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 16, 2004 3:45:45 AM

Hello,
I currently watch my TV via broadcast and a few of my channels are a
little snowy with analog. I have a little zenith antenna that I have
linked with my apartments antenna on the roof (which I don't think
works that great) to get my networks and PBS's. I was wondering if I
got a HDTV Settop box to plug into my existing TV if the picture would
be better? I have not seen any HDTV over the air stuff.
is it worth spending the $200 for the STB? What do folks think
my results will be?

Thanks for any help.

I live in fairfax, va in an apartment.

-Ryan

More about : ota question

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:33:44 AM

Ryan <ryans_linux@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I currently watch my TV via broadcast and a few of my channels are a
> little snowy with analog. I have a little zenith antenna that I have
> linked with my apartments antenna on the roof (which I don't think
> works that great) to get my networks and PBS's. I was wondering if I
> got a HDTV Settop box to plug into my existing TV if the picture would
> be better? I have not seen any HDTV over the air stuff.
> is it worth spending the $200 for the STB? What do folks think
> my results will be?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> I live in fairfax, va in an apartment.

If you go to www.antennaweb.org and plug in your address it will show
you what stations are available, both analog and digital, what
directions they are from you and how far. I tried a Fairfax zip code
and found several digitals about 15 miles away, some closer. They're
all UHF, while your major-network analogs are mostly VHF. If you get
usable UHF reception now on 20 (UPN), 32 (PBS) and 50 (WB) from
Washington, chances are you'll get good digital reception. Of course,
with digital your reception is probably good or nonexistent. There's
very little in between.

E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
where yymm is the current year and month (spam that!)
June 16, 2004 1:05:21 PM

>> I currently watch my TV via broadcast and a few of my channels are a
>> little snowy with analog. I have a little zenith antenna that I have
>> linked with my apartments antenna on the roof (which I don't think
>> works that great) to get my networks and PBS's. I was wondering if I
>> got a HDTV Settop box to plug into my existing TV if the picture would
>> be better? I have not seen any HDTV over the air stuff.
>> is it worth spending the $200 for the STB? What do folks think
>> my results will be?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> I live in fairfax, va in an apartment.
>
> If you go to www.antennaweb.org and plug in your address it will show
> you what stations are available, both analog and digital, what
> directions they are from you and how far. I tried a Fairfax zip code
> and found several digitals about 15 miles away, some closer. They're
> all UHF, while your major-network analogs are mostly VHF. If you get
> usable UHF reception now on 20 (UPN), 32 (PBS) and 50 (WB) from
> Washington, chances are you'll get good digital reception. Of course,
> with digital your reception is probably good or nonexistent. There's
> very little in between.

I do get channel 20 and 32 fairly easily, for some reason 50 (WB) is worse
off. :(  What HDTV settop box is a good one? Are they all the same?
I have been looking at EBay a little. I am just trying to see if it worth
the approx $200 investment to get a box.

-Ryan
June 16, 2004 5:57:00 PM

Ryan <ryans_linux@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:p an.2004.06.16.09.05.12.767758@yahoo.com:

>>> I currently watch my TV via broadcast and a few of my channels are
>>> a little snowy with analog. I have a little zenith antenna that I
>>> have linked with my apartments antenna on the roof (which I don't
>>> think works that great) to get my networks and PBS's. I was
>>> wondering if I got a HDTV Settop box to plug into my existing TV if
>>> the picture would be better? I have not seen any HDTV over the air
>>> stuff. is it worth spending the $200 for the STB? What do folks
>>> think my results will be?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> I live in fairfax, va in an apartment.
>>
>> If you go to www.antennaweb.org and plug in your address it will show
>> you what stations are available, both analog and digital, what
>> directions they are from you and how far. I tried a Fairfax zip code
>> and found several digitals about 15 miles away, some closer. They're
>> all UHF, while your major-network analogs are mostly VHF. If you get
>> usable UHF reception now on 20 (UPN), 32 (PBS) and 50 (WB) from
>> Washington, chances are you'll get good digital reception. Of course,
>> with digital your reception is probably good or nonexistent. There's
>> very little in between.
>
> I do get channel 20 and 32 fairly easily, for some reason 50 (WB) is
> worse off. :(  What HDTV settop box is a good one? Are they all the
> same? I have been looking at EBay a little. I am just trying to see if
> it worth the approx $200 investment to get a box.
>
> -Ryan

Why not pick one up locally w/ good return policy and find out first hand?

--
B. Swanky - Boutique Giftware with Flair!
Specializes in clothing and gifts for infant, baby and toddler. We also

>>> all UHF, while your major-network analogs are mostly VHF. If you get
>>> usable UHF reception now on 20 (UPN), 32 (PBS) and 50 (WB) from

>> I do get channel 20 and 32 fairly easily, for some reason 50 (WB) is
>> worse off. :(  What HDTV settop box is a good one? Are they all the

> Why not pick one up locally w/ good return policy and find out first hand?

Cause that would have made too much sense...

Thanks
-Ryan
!