File/Print/Gateway Question

swim2383

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Hey, I recently switched from cable to DSL (I would rather be on cable but was paying out the ass and service was alwaaays down). I have no desire to install Verizon's DSL software crap on all my computers, especially since it won't run on Linux :evil: . I have been putting off making/setting up a file/print server for a while now and thought I could use it as a gateway and only have to install their software on one computer. So which of these setups should I do....

DSL->Router/Firewall->Server PC->Wired/Wireless Router->My network

OR

DSL->Server->Wired/Wireless Router->All the other crap

I think the first one is what I should do but thought it would be better to get some feedback before I got started. If I do the first option how much of a pain in the ass is port forwarding going to be? Should I spend the money and get a NIC with two ethernet ports? I already have a single port NIC and, assuming it won't cripple my connection, I would rather buy a 15-25 dollar single port NIC than a 60-150 dual port.

Oh and the server box is going to have a Athlon64 3500 so excess cpu load shouldn't be a problem with 2xsingle port NIC.

Thanks for your input in advance
james

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Is your server issue IP Address?
Is your server PC the Print Server or Normal server (www) functions.

If so disable the DHCP and firewall on the wireless router.

If NOT, See if you have the option to disable the firewall and keep the DHCP active. Some Do Some Don't

If your server is a Print server only. And is doing a pass through for all other trafic. It should work.

It is very difficuly to do port forwarding through 2 Routers NAT/firewall's. If only your wired router is running the NAT and doing all of the port forwarding there should be no problems.

Thats my 2 cents, You will get feed back from others too.